Astra 2 F change over tests

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Nov 2012 10:30 AM by televisiontechnology Star rating in Costa Blanca South. 165 posts Send private message

General concensus appears to be the test frequency of  Astra 2 F is on 11023 H 23000. Currently showing BBC1 HD

In order to test to see if you can receive this, you need a free to air HD receiver (not Sky box).

Presently we have the following reports: This is based on individual satellite users feedback 

Torrevieja 1.10 - 1.4

0 (we are 18km away, no signal on 1 metre)
Guardamar, San Miguel 1.40
Mazarron 1.90
Granada 1.50
Marbella 1.25
Seville 1.35
Benidorm & surrounding, mixed reports from 1.20 - 2.00 metres?
Valencia 2.40  (belive we can get in Valencia with a much smaller dish)

We have yet to ascertain if there well be any receptive differences between horizontal (the test frequency) & vertical frequencies. 

www.televisiontechnology.eu - Satellite TV, network telecomms, IPTV & community support.

www.facebook.com/televisiontechnology

Like 0      
24 Nov 2012 11:49 AM by lorraine56 Star rating in Granada Spain. 51 posts Send private message

Hi we are 25km north of Granada city centre and have a 1.2 mtr dish and receiving a great signal through our Humax freesat box

Like 0      
24 Nov 2012 1:06 PM by quesada11 Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

Hi i have been waiting for this new satalite i have a house in quesada near torrevieja and from what i am hearing from the sat pc guys  web site. very helpfull.

we will be able to recieve uk channels just not sure what size dish, 1.25m or bigger?

anyone in torrevieja if they can confirm what dish is best thanks.

Like 0      
24 Nov 2012 1:18 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

Hi we are 25km north of Granada city centre and have a 1.2 mtr dish and receiving a great signal through our Humax freesat box

Is this on the posted test frequency of 11023 H 23000? This is the only frequency that has moved, so if you are looking at any other frequency or channels not on this frequency, then you will not notice any difference as no other frequencies or channels are currently on the new satellite! I am assuming you are not using the posted frequency, as your 1.2m dish will be the only report of obtaining that signal on that size dish in that area - there are various reception reports for Granada where 1.5m dishes are unable to receive this single 2F test frequency.

Valencia 2.40 (belive we can get in Valencia with a much smaller dish)
2.4m is way overkill. And getting it fine and stable on my 80cm dish (although "Dave" does not believe me !). 1m are also fine in most of the CB Northern area.

Hi i have been waiting for this new satalite i have a house in quesada near torrevieja and from what i am hearing from the sat pc guys web site. very helpfull.

Cheers. Appreciated. Have been collecting Spain only reception reports and posting them on my site. http://www.satandpcguy.com/Site/astra_2f_satellite_reception_footprint_uk_tv_spain.php

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
27 Nov 2012 8:26 AM by televisiontechnology Star rating in Costa Blanca South. 165 posts Send private message

Seems to have been a few changes overnight to the reception of some Sky frequencies - would appear they have switched to Astra 2F.

Two examples which in the local area, you needed a 1.8/1.9 for partial reception - the problematic Astra North Beam:

12012 V 29500 3/4 MGM HD, Family / Premier HD. Now receivable (just) on a 1 metre dish. 

12304 H 29500 3/4 British Eurosport 2 HD reception (CB South), now receivable (just) on a 1 metre this morning. 

This would seem to indicate that as the signal has gone from barely receivable for those with 1.8/1.9 dishes, to reception on a 1 metre, that these have moved across to 2F overnight & based on the improved reception are on the pan European beam. 

We are updating our facebook page daily    www.facebook.com/televisiontechnology    -   which is where it seems quite a few other people / websites are quoting their reports from!!  Nature of the internet. We are presently running continual tests in CB South.

Quesada 11:  We are not far from you, presently we have reports of 1.10 metres working on the 11023 near your location, though it is still a little close signal wise (not wise to install the bare minimum as rain etc can be enough to throw this off). A 1 metre we cannot get to work (Almoradi).  

Based on what we have seen so far a 1.30 - 1.40 in CBS would do the job, you could 'get away' with a slightly smaller dish like a 1.25 or even a 1.10 in some locations should also be o.k - but this presently should not be taken as a definitive answer as is only based on the single test frequency.

Would still recommend holding off for a decisive verdict as whilst the 11023 H can be used as a 'test' bench mark, we still do not know how vertical frequencies will perform or how different parts of the frequency bandwidth will also perform on Astra 2F.

For example, on Astra 2D we struggled to receive low horizontal frequencies, but higher up were o.k.  In summary, don't count your chickens quite yet as we cannot be sure that the current 11023 H is 100% representative - we need to see other frequencies live to be more accurate.

This message was last edited by televisiontechnology on 27/11/2012.

This message was last edited by televisiontechnology on 27/11/2012.

www.televisiontechnology.eu - Satellite TV, network telecomms, IPTV & community support.

Like 0      
27 Nov 2012 11:00 AM by quesada11 Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

Thanks for the updates , I will try and wait another week but desperate to get my tv back will prob go for a 1.25 or bigger to be safe don't know if it's much more expensive to go for a 1.4 metre
I know a 1.9 m are expensive

Like 0      
27 Nov 2012 11:51 AM by televisiontechnology Star rating in Costa Blanca South. 165 posts Send private message

Not much difference in costs between a 1.25 & 1.3 - 1.4 offset, so would always go for the most affordable, largest option. Retail / installation wise the difference between a 1.10 & 1.35 is €80 so not too bad.

Where the cost of the dishes does increase considerably when you step up to a 'prime focus' model - usually a 1.45 or 1.86 as you have correctly stated these are considerably more expensive.  If the 11023 test signal is representative, then a cheaper slightly smaller offset model should be sufficient.

Like 0      
27 Nov 2012 1:05 PM by woodyspain Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Any suggestions please?

I have a holiday apartmend near barcelona.  i want to rent it out to holiday makers and want to include internet and uktv available to them.  

I already have internet but no dish yet.  I have heard so many different things that I dont know what to do anymore.  I was told that I would need a 1.8m dish and they want to charge me over 2.500€ which I think crazy.

At the moment, i am testing this iptv service dtmedia.tv and still on the free trial.  works great on even 3mb, but the trial is over in 2 days.  I need to decide if i should spend the bucks on the sat dish installation, will it work and is it worth it.

Also, does anyone know if there are any DVR's that will let me record about 10 channels at a time so I can also have a week or two worth of Catchup?

thanks in advance for any advice.

Like 0      
27 Nov 2012 1:30 PM by televisiontechnology Star rating in Costa Blanca South. 165 posts Send private message

€2500 for a 1.8 metre dish is way off base. We would install (unfortunately we do not cover your location) €699.00 perhaps a little more if an apartment block requires extra labour / cable between floors, etc.   So certainly would not use this company.

I'd sit tight & wait until the final change over is complete from Astra 1N to Astra 2F, likely to be a week.  We should then know what size dish you need & related costs, it may be less than you think - for example if a 1.35 dish, around €300 installed,  

Key point, no monthly subscriptions - which do add up.

Like 0      
27 Nov 2012 1:47 PM by woodyspain Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hi, thanks for your fast reply.

I am glad you mention that the quoted price is too high.  I think i will do what you suggest and wait untill everything falls into place.  It is a shame you do not cover my location as I find your price to be appropriate!

Ok, in the meantime, I think i will continue with dtmedia.tv which again leads to the DVR question.  These people somehow offer 14 day catchup and to be honest is quite clever..  The question is, would I be able to record 10 channels simultaneously with some kind of DVR with a large hard disk connected to my Sat receiver??  I mean, how could a home digital video recorder do this?  as far as i know i dont think they can.  This is definitely a feature i would miss because they have full 2 weeks worth of content available.  As I travel frequently, there is always something i have missed.  Apparently in the canaries, something silly like 6m is required so everyone is getting the dtmedia system.  I think you need a roof large enough to land a helicopter to have a 6m dish!

PLease keep me posted once there is a definitive answer to the dish requirements! Also any idea who I could contact in my area if i wanted to get a dish installed?

Thanks again

Like 0      
27 Nov 2012 2:15 PM by televisiontechnology Star rating in Costa Blanca South. 165 posts Send private message

You don't need 6 metre dish in the Canaries - with a little know how, combined pointing to a different satellite you can get BBC 1 HD, BBC2, BBC3, BBC4, CBBC, Cbeebies, ITV1 HD & channel 4HD off a 1 metre dish in this location, this may also prove to be an option for you in Barcelona, if you find ultimately you do need a big or expensive dish.

In terms of satellite receivers that do record, there are various options - the best program guide types are Sky+ & Freesat twin tuner model (different ones available) both have twin tuners, in built hard drives, 7 day program guide, series link etc.  These will however only work with the Astra 28.2 & not suitable if you choose to go the Intelsat route above, so again would wait & see the outcome of changes as this could also affect receiver used.  

There other free to air receivers which are available that also have twin or even triple tuners, which you can add in a hard drive of any size. So whilst you cannot record 10 programs at the same time (a little overkill perhaps?) you can record 2 or 3 simultaneously.

In terms of recommending someone local to you, sorry don't know of any installing companies, but would happily take the same€2500 off you for a 1.8 metre install, which would pay for my weekend break in Barcelona & accomation for the engineers too 

We have a facebook page where we usually update reception & general TV related information on a daily basis, if you hit the 'like' button & are a facebook member, any information changes to satellite reception or related technologies you will automatically see when you log into fb / see your news feed.  

Like 0      
27 Nov 2012 3:09 PM by woodyspain Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Thanks again for a fast and detailed response.

Like you say, probably best to wait a bit and in the meantime, i think im going to register for the dtmedia.tv subscription which i can cancel any time and still have my uktv.  Once everything is clear, i will evaluate the costs to get the similar kind of features using sat, but from what you say, it already sounds like its gonna get more expensive if i want to try to have catchup and the rest of the features.  Coming to think of it, my terrace is not huge.  The community will not let me put a dish anywere other than my terrace, so may stick with this iptv service as there is nothing else i need to install.

I was ok using it with my ipad or on the pc, but really want to have it working on my tv.  I looked into it and they have a STB they call the dt media BOX , so i might give it a go. (only risking 150€) . it says in just needs to be connected to the broadband router and with HDMI into the TV.

If all this fails, i will share my experience with you and get the dish sorted.

Thanks for your offer to do it for 2500...howabout 699€ and a weedend stay at the apartment instead?? lol.

cheers again.

Like 0      
27 Nov 2012 5:37 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

Woody

I agree that you should try DTMedia. I used the company some years ago and gave them up then only because they couldn't offer TV (we went with Telefonica Trio). Recently, becoming extremely bored with the constant yank trash served up as "entertainment",  we have returned to DT for the good old BBC etc and after some teething problems (they were in Beta mode at the time) things have now settled down and we find ourselves well satisfied. Their support is quick and good too.

Like 0      
28 Nov 2012 10:59 AM by woodyspain Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hi Marcbernard,

Thanks for sharing your opinion with me, i think i will do as you say for now.  Soon we will all know what the score is going to be and for now this is the only decent alternative that makes sense for me anyway.  I will need to subscribe to the system today for it to continue working but they want 9,99€/month for it.... are you also paying this or do you get it for free?

Back to Astra 2F, I have heard that there are some problems with either the strength of the signal or the focus area for the north of UK, so may take a little longer to sort out.  

FYI @televisiontechnology...  I read that the person who reported they could pick up the signal in barcelona with a 80cm dish, ended up admitting that they made a mistake as they were picking up something else....so again, will need to wait for more confirmed reports.

Like 0      
28 Nov 2012 11:20 AM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

Woody

I have sent you a PM

Like 0      
05 Dec 2012 11:07 AM by quesada11 Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

Why is it taking so long to start using astra 2f
I don't know anyone using it yet
Thought it was going to be all sorted by now.

Like 0      
05 Dec 2012 1:04 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

Some frequencies carrying a number of channels (eg 4seven, c4hd, fives, a few itv1 regions) have moved to 2F - they moved early yesterday morning.

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

TIPS ON BUYING A PROPERTY IN SPAIN - 1 posts
Looking for Lawyers on the Costa del Sol... - 2 posts
hi , matthew here - 2 posts
Record low interest rates - 0 posts
solicitors charges when selling a property. - 7 posts
I need to take my bike licence - 2 posts
One way car hire fees - 0 posts
Cancelling Insurances - Assurance - 7 posts
Form 210 - 1 posts
Some would rather go to prison than face life :) - 1 posts
NEW REGULATIONS re CASH, TAX ON OVERSEAS ASSETTS and automatic Residencia and - 6 posts
New years eve in Duquesa or Sabinillas - 0 posts
You Know when you are getting Old!!! When - 0 posts
Roxanna - sexy spanish music - 3 posts
Maria and her team do it again - 5 posts
Am I eligible for Plan PIVE? - 27 posts
am receiving strange calls on my mobile...... - 1 posts
Tax resident - 32 posts
Electronic Submission of Form 210 - 30 posts
Buying UK products in Spain - 3 posts
Satellite TV in Spain - 1 posts
Non residence tax - 0 posts
Aqualandia - 1 posts
Mercers Estate Agents, Made our dream come true.! - 0 posts
Desperate times..... - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 17

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x