BLACK MONEY PROBLEMS

This thread is currently locked.

:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 May 2015 12:54 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Acer.  Do you really advocate following the "adopted ways of Spain" and thus breaking the law?

It is incredible that if a person who has been open enough to declare they are former police officers say anything there are people out there who can’t wait to jump in with both feet to make such a comment and in doing so put their feet in their mouth.

If you read what I have said, both on this post and all others,  you will be well aware I have never said one should break the law.   However, if they do, especially  ‘as a matter of culture’ /  ‘accepted general practice’ etc then I would never condemn them. 

Many people break the actual law, albeit in ways which they may think are OK.  Not getting IVA bills for work done, exceeding the speed limit, illegal parking, maybe driving when ‘just a little over the limit,‘  walking across an empty road  but on a red pedestrian light. and for those who have been here a while (befpñre the crash in 2007) under declaring purchase values, openly in front of the notary handing across the table the cash balance for the seller to count  etc.    It’s  all a matter of magnitude in the eyes of the perpetrator..  

This message was last edited by johnzx on 11/05/2015.

Like 2      
11 May 2015 3:33 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

I've never been offered or requested a receipt from the window cleaner or gardener, they were hard enough to get in the first place, I wouldn't wish to scare them off.

Whilst in Spain last month we had our bathroom converted into a wet room, we know the guy well so paid cash in hand, and saved a tidy sum by doing so.

My hypocricy only goes so far, I know a couple of now retired head teachers, who bought school supplies from the firms that bunged them the fattest brown envelopes, however they classed themselves as pillars of the community. They also gave building work and car maitainance work to school teacher collegues in the school holidays on a cash in hand basis, whilst criticising the great unwashed for doing the same.

Harold MacMillan once said that whenever a dinner guest lectured fellow guests on his/her honesty, he was minded to tell his butler to check the silver prior to them leaving. 

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 1      
11 May 2015 5:36 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Johnzx,

You seem to have forgotten your comment, which was "I think it is impertinent for people coming from outside Spain to try and inflict their ways on the indigenous Spanish or even those who have adopted Spain as their home country"...

No I do not advocate breaking the law - quite the reverse!  But if you follow your suggestion of not being impertinant and following the Spanish culture that what you'll do.

Some aspects of Spanish culture are lovely.  Other aspect make sense and I'll happily follow them, but there are a few things like the brown envelopes on house deals, mistreatment of animals, a bit of racism, plus some business practices where I prefer to keep my own values.

Like 3      
11 May 2015 6:10 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Hi Acer.

I think I have said enough, so I am otta here, unless something worth commenting on comes up..

Like 1      
27 Jul 2016 8:07 PM by Spiv Star rating in Walmington-on-Sea. 4 posts Send private message

Spiv´s avatar

Only politicians can be legally corrupt.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |

This thread is currently locked.

Previous Threads

official shop holidays - 10 posts
Urbanisation - 30 posts
Long Term rental Salobrena area Costa Tropical - 2 posts
Spanish August Holiday - 5 posts
Hello Can you help? - 5 posts
Anyone noticed we can now see the last 20 posts. - 6 posts
Reputable Air conditioning companies - 0 posts
Boxing Clubs - 0 posts
UK Made Ladies Bicycle - 0 posts
Transferring Back To Uk - 0 posts
new to spain-Montevideo Hills - 1 posts
ribera del marlin - 1 posts
Legal Secretary – Gibraltar - 1 posts
Experienced Administrator – Marbella - 2 posts
GETTING ON THE INTERNET!! - 15 posts
YOUR OPINION AND VOICE TO HUMA. - 33 posts
Mobile phone talking phrasebook !! - 9 posts
BMW 2.8L CONVERTIBLE FOR SALE ON CDS - 30 posts
MOBILE and FIXED LINE INTERNET ACCESS - 0 posts
Breach of COMPLETION DATE Hollwood Hills - 0 posts
Hello i am a newbie - 1 posts
asthma - 3 posts
STOP PRESS re completion & habitation certificates ! 2nd July 2007 - 1 posts
bill and eddy - 2 posts
solicitor required (orihuela costa) - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 85

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x