Urbanisation

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Jul 2007 12:00 AM by Rosiedrew Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

I will be moving to marbella region in Sept me and my cat.

Can any of you offer advice on good urbies close to the sea and shops as I won't be driving.

I would like to be near Brits as I hope to make friends (and of course have Spanish mates as well).

Is it possible to get a map of the urbies in this area?

x

x

Like 0      
06 Jul 2007 10:15 AM by carolinej Star rating. 420 posts Send private message

carolinej´s avatar

Sorry - I don'r really have much info.  We are in Duquesa Village which is 10 mins walk from a friendly British square (Monte Duquesa) with a wine bar, tapas bar, cafe bar, bistro, internet cafe, newsagent, estate agent, gift shop but it's a good 20 - 30 min walk to the port area and supermarket I think - maybe 20 mins walk to another supermarket in the other direction - not sure - just completed recently).  I just wanted to wish you and your cat a good flight and good luck finding somewhere nice.

Caroline

Like 0      
06 Jul 2007 11:06 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Rosie,

My husband & I are considering moving out to the CB next year (already have property there) & we too have a cat. Don't know where you are in the UK & I guess you'd fly to Malaga ( whereas we'd fly into Alicante or maybe Murcia ) but have you been through getting your cat sorted yet for its passport plus its travel arrangements ? Could you let me know if you have done so how you went about it ? I've had good info from a friend who's ready to take their cat from Heathrow to Malaga in August but would like to hear from others who are doing this imminently.

Thanks.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 7/6/2007.

Like 0      
06 Jul 2007 1:21 PM by Rosiedrew Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

yes my cat is ready.  I had her chipped injected against rabies received her passport there and then - it's common practice for vets these days to do it all in one.

I need to buy the correct crate to fly her to Malaga.

The cost was for me £60 as she was already chipped.

x

Like 0      
06 Jul 2007 1:25 PM by Rosiedrew Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

Hi Carolyne

Where is that area you mentioned is it Marbella?  I don't want to start looking at other areas as I will never ever get there as Spain is huge.

It's all getting a bit tiring now.  I thought I would find it easy to rent a place near the sea!!!

rosiedrew@hotmail.co.uk

R

Like 0      
06 Jul 2007 1:31 PM by carolinej Star rating. 420 posts Send private message

carolinej´s avatar

Hi Rosie,

Duquesa Village is part of an urbanisation just outside of Manilva, there are some complexes which are part of the urbo which are right next to the square I mentioned and are a much closer walk to the port and supermarkets -Duquesa Suites for one.  if you search Monte Duquesa you should find one.  It's close to Estepona and next to Sabinillas - about 50 mins from Malaga airport I think and about 25 mins from Gibralta airport. It's probably about 20 mins drive from Marbella I think along the coast or the toll road.

Regards,

Caroline

Like 0      
06 Jul 2007 3:40 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Rosiedrew, you say you are planning to move to Marbella in September - do you actually have anything lined up to live in, seeing that September is only a couple of months away?

Maybe you should look at renting short-term, until you decide where you would like to be based. 

We are also in Duquesa Village (Caroline and I are friends from Dubai!!) and I would say that Duquesa, Manilva, is a lovely place to be based, and there are many developments which border the beach and/or are only minutes from the beach and port (where there is a little supermarket).  Also, Duquesa is only a ten minute drive from Estepona and twenty minutes from Gibraltar.  But if you are relying on public transport then maybe Marbella, where you are thinking of, is a better choice for you.

Do you actually have anything planned for September?  If not, then maybe you should search this forum and maybe other sites for rental properties to rent short-term until you find something where you would like to buy or rent long-term.

All the best to you!

Like 0      
07 Jul 2007 6:58 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Rosiedrew

as you haven't your cat carrier for her airline transport yet you may want to do what my friend did recently. She was told by BA, who she & her cat are travelling with, (from Heathrow to Malaga) to ring Bracknell 01364 42144 for buying the airline approved cat carrier which was £40 (as she collected it as she was in the area anyway) but she said they'll send a carrier & the price even with the P&P was cheaper than she could buy it from her local pet superstore. Hoping this helps you.

Like 0      
07 Jul 2007 9:19 AM by Rosiedrew Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

Great news I will do that.

Can you or anyone else tell me where the Brits actually live in Marbella - not rent but live.

x

Like 0      
07 Jul 2007 9:53 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi again Rosie.

It has just struck me that ,if you've not booked your flight yet for you & your cat, you may be interested to know this. A few members including my friend going to Malaga & myself have been discussing ways to get our animals to Spain. Suzi had found out that if she booked herself onto a British Airways flight she could take her cat with her (in the hold of course) & only pay excess baggage.

This is what you do .....

Ring GB Airlines pet line (affiliated to British Airways) on 01293 579546 (she spoke with Peter.) He said she should book a BA flight then ring him to give him her flight number & he'd book her cat onto that flight & give her a reference number.

Take cat in airline approved carrier to check in desk & give them the reference number. Cat will be weighed in its carrier @£4.65/kg plus a £20 handling charge. A lot cheaper than all other quotes we'd had. Around £100

Hope this helps you, it sure helped us.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 7/7/2007.

Like 0      
07 Jul 2007 2:57 PM by Rosiedrew Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

Unfortunately I am coming from Bristol and BA doesn't fly from here.  I will see if they fly from Cardiff.

Which part of Spain are you going to live?

x

Like 0      
07 Jul 2007 3:14 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Rosie.

As shown in my profile location, under my name on the left  we are in "Quesada, CB" ie partway between Alicante & Murcia airports on the Costa Blanca. We have had a house there over two years, we are actually non residents & we, too, fly from Bristol. B'ham's our nearest for a BA flight but they don't fly to Spain from there. They don't fly out of Cardiff at all.

We've had quotes from people who will organise everything to have our cat go on a Thomson flight from Cardiff airport but it costs anything £400-£600. Unbelievable.

Monarch fly B'ham to Malaga so you could contact rob@gsaworld.com as detailed below.

Check out http://www.albirspain.com/pets-abroad.shtml  scroll down to .................

Once all that is done your pet can now be brought into Spain from a number of UK airports and it is possible to fly on the same plane as your pet with Thomson Flights, Monarch Scheduled, Mytravel Lite, and British Airways into Alicante; you should check with both live cargo and passenger departments before booking either though. You must ensure that the pet has enough room to stand up and turn around in its carrier and that fresh water is available during the flight. Failure to comply with these points will result in your pet being refused travel.

There are a number of companies that work in conjunction with the airlines and if you book through them they will advise and take care of the flight documentation for you; details of a few are listed below along with airline contact details for booking your pet on a flight. Now there’s no need to be away from your loving pet! Below are some useful contacts.

British Airways Passenger Reservations and Enquiries
Tel: 0870 8509850

Ladyhaye, Lingfield, Surrey
Tel: 01342 832161
Web: http://www.ladyhaye.co.uk

Chilworth Pet Exports, Southampton
Tel: 0283 80766876
Web: http://www.petexports.com

Monarch Scheduled, Cargo
Tel: 01753 686852
Email: rob@gsaworld.com

Mytravel Lite Cargo
Tel: 0161 2326685
Email: cargo@mytravel.co.uk

Whitelea Skydogs, Matlock Derbyshire
Tel: 01629 735555
Web: http://www.skydogs.co.uk

This message was last edited by morerosado on 7/7/2007.

Like 0      
07 Jul 2007 6:36 PM by Rosiedrew Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

duhhhh just noticed it said where people are located.  My cat will have to be flown from Cardiff for approx £300.

I have been trying to book a flight from Bristol to Marbella to meet with a nice lady called Sharon who will talk to me re@ urbinisations etc etc.in the MARBELLA area of Spain.

Unfortunately, the flights and accommodation for Aug is very high so it's back to the drawing board with more wine.

Like 0      
08 Jul 2007 3:56 PM by rosi n Star rating in Cornwall / axarquia. 119 posts Send private message

Hello  Rosiedrew . We used to live about 15 min. drive from Marbella, this is not a good time of the year for a move to Spain apart from being very hot the prices will be high and many offices will be closed next month for 4 weeks, Marbell is a nice town with all the shops you need but you have to pay for that ,you dont mention your rental budget expect to pay around 1000 eurs. per month in the Marbell area if you rented at Calahonda as example the same apartment about  500- 600  eurs. ( 1--2 bed ) Calahonda has all the shops you need for normal day to day , Marbella is only a bus ride of about  25 min. its best to plan a move in the Autum lots of Brits in the Calahonda area  Marbella much more mixed but a good spot near the beach will cost you.  Best of luck with your move.      Rosi n

Like 0      
08 Jul 2007 6:21 PM by Rosiedrew Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

Sounds good.  My reason for choosing or one of my reasons for chossing Marbella is that the airport bus goes to the town.  If I were located in Calhonda say would I be able to get a bus? 

thanks.

Like 0      
08 Jul 2007 6:34 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Any help...apparently there is the fast bus from the Malaga airport to marbella bus station from which then you could get a bus from to Calahonda. Or from Malaga Bus Station you can get a bus to Calahonda. http://www.estabus.emtsam.es/  click on destinations.

Rosie, click on the underlined blue links.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 7/8/2007.

Like 0      
08 Jul 2007 6:39 PM by Rosiedrew Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

ahh good I will look at that area for certain. x

Like 0      
09 Jul 2007 8:14 AM by Rosiedrew Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

Calhonda - God I am making this hard work!!!

Hi  moving down coast and I haven't even got there yet!!  Can you peeps give me the load down on Calahonda as if you read this thread it will be or may be a better idea for me.  it appears just as easy to get to as Marbella.

I cannot go past marbella and do not want to be in Furengurola so I'm looking along this stretch up to Marbella.

I'm visiting for one week in august I will need to pay a deposit on a property so I have a home in Spain for September. Just me and the cat so will need some night life ie maybe ex pat pubs or somewhere I can meet and make friends.

x

Like 0      
09 Jul 2007 9:09 AM by johnone Star rating in La Reserva de Marbel.... 233 posts Send private message

johnone´s avatar

Hi Rosie

Calahonda would suite you i'm sure. Lots of shops, Bars and its near the beach, and lots of Ex Pats. getting a fast bus to Marbella would serve no purpose as it would add a 30 km extra to your journey, and you would pass Calahonda on the way. A Taxi would get you there for about e35. Be aware ther is also another Calahonda at the other side of Malaga towards Motril. It would be embarasing for you if you got to the wrong one.

Hope this helps

John

Dime con quién andas y te diré quién eres.

Like 0      
09 Jul 2007 9:24 AM by Rosiedrew Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

thanks

Gosh I didn't know there was another place with the same name.  Is Calahonda near the Riverra place thingy?  Have to get my map out again!!

It def is cheaper than marbella but I thought I could get the airport bus to Calahonda maybe it's the other one?

Do you live there?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Long Term rental Salobrena area Costa Tropical - 2 posts
Spanish August Holiday - 5 posts
Hello Can you help? - 5 posts
Anyone noticed we can now see the last 20 posts. - 6 posts
Reputable Air conditioning companies - 0 posts
Boxing Clubs - 0 posts
UK Made Ladies Bicycle - 0 posts
Transferring Back To Uk - 0 posts
new to spain-Montevideo Hills - 1 posts
ribera del marlin - 1 posts
Legal Secretary – Gibraltar - 1 posts
Experienced Administrator – Marbella - 2 posts
GETTING ON THE INTERNET!! - 15 posts
YOUR OPINION AND VOICE TO HUMA. - 33 posts
Mobile phone talking phrasebook !! - 9 posts
BMW 2.8L CONVERTIBLE FOR SALE ON CDS - 30 posts
MOBILE and FIXED LINE INTERNET ACCESS - 0 posts
Breach of COMPLETION DATE Hollwood Hills - 0 posts
Hello i am a newbie - 1 posts
asthma - 3 posts
STOP PRESS re completion & habitation certificates ! 2nd July 2007 - 1 posts
bill and eddy - 2 posts
solicitor required (orihuela costa) - 6 posts
Fantasy Homes By The Sea Wants You! - 0 posts
local fishing spot - 13 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 31

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x