Hi, I'm new here and would like some suggestions.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Sep 2012 8:10 PM by KidKinobe Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

I intend moving/retiring  to Spain in approx 6 years time. I lived there in 92 for a spell, as well as many other countries, and Spain has always stood out from the rest. 

I am Irish and currently live in New Zealand and have done so for the past 15 years. 

My ideal living location would be in a quiet village with a major city within two hours drive.

My ideal home would have 3 beds with a small parcel of land and some out buildings suitable for a horse.

Due to distance between NZ and Spain, I was hoping some people could drop in a few names of villages for me to 'google' or maybe even point out homes which you may consider suitable to purchase.

Yes, I know 6 years is a long way away! but knowledge is power and the more I learn the more comfortable I will be with making a final decision on where to buy and live. And if anyone would like to be my personal mentor:) please feel free to apply.

Thanking you.

Eugene.

Like 0      
30 Sep 2012 10:38 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Eugene.

Did you think of using Google Earth (street view) to look at places ? 

That way you can see for yourself what a place looks like, how far it is from other places, local facilities, shops etc.  in area. 

Then when you have a short-list, you could ask specific questions about a particular place rather than asking about ' the whole of Spain'.

Like 0      
30 Sep 2012 11:20 AM by KidKinobe Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Hello John.

I have used google on many properties over the past few years to try get a feel for  places but now I need to step up and get 'word of mouth' from people who are on the front line, you know, the people who are within the villages and are there 24/7. Google is awesome but word of mouth is more personal. Thanks.

Like 0      
30 Sep 2012 11:43 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Eugene,

As you must have narrowed down the areas where you are seeking a property, why not ask specifically about those areas, I am sure you will get a better response.

For example:  I would not spend say half an hour, or more, describing  somewhere unless I thought that was a  place you were interested in.  

Thus you would lose that possible input.  But if you asked about, say the place where I live, then I would be more than happy to help.

Like 0      
30 Sep 2012 3:39 PM by Foxilady Star rating in surrey. 277 posts Send private message

Foxilady´s avatar

Hi Eugene, John is quite correct in his advice.  That said, I am sure there are many people on here who will tell you of wonderful villages and countryside to live in Spain.  I do not live in Spain myself, but over the last 40 years have spent much time in Spain, but again I wouldn't want to  waste your time extolling the virtues of the places I luv and you have already discounted.  I wish you the best of luck in your search.  This is an excellent site to seek advice.  In many ways parts of Spain are similar to Eire, I am Irish and have often remarked to my husband on the similarities of the landscape, especially parts ot Connemara.

If I shine too brightly, then put your sunglasses on oy vey

Like 0      
30 Sep 2012 7:53 PM by KidKinobe Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Hi.

Does anyone want to just name a few quiet  villages, off the top of their heads please? Along the Sotthern Coast, South of Barcelona, 2 hours of a major city. 

Thanks.

Like 0      
01 Oct 2012 11:28 AM by competa Star rating in Scotland. 92 posts Send private message

An hour from Malaga to the east - Archez, Competa, Canillas de Albaida, Sayalonga are all nice!

Like 0      
01 Oct 2012 11:44 AM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

Hi There

More information on these villages found on this website.Just click on Each Highlighted Name in Blue for more Detail.

http://www.inland-property.com/pages/EN/villages.asp

Regards

This message was last edited by nigel188 on 01/10/2012.

Nigel

Like 0      
01 Oct 2012 7:32 PM by KidKinobe Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Thanks Nigel and Competa. 

Like 0      
03 Oct 2012 11:11 AM by KidKinobe Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Hi again , thanks for the PMs from some of you, mucho appreciatedo:)

After some googling and searching I have narrowed my vision down to Cadiz, not so much the main town but possibly within 30 minutes to an hour of the center. 

Has anyone any personal knowledege of the district? 

Thanks.

Like 0      
03 Oct 2012 11:53 AM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

03 Oct 2012 7:51 PM by KidKinobe Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Thanks Nigel.

Very helpful!

Like 0      
03 Oct 2012 9:18 PM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

Evening Kid, I too am looking, & travel to Spain later this month for further studies.I have found this site to be invaluable for me, tells you everything about axarquia which is a very large but beautiful area & is both coast & inland.

http://www.absoluteaxarquia.com/areas/axarquia.html

Gerald

Like 0      
04 Oct 2012 12:36 AM by KidKinobe Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Thanks Gerald, 

Enjoy your time in Spain.

Like 0      
04 Oct 2012 8:46 AM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Am sure Chiclana area is beautiful BUT tread carefully before buying anything there as the area was over built with illegal properties.
Of course this may have now been sorted but felt the need to advise as it was pacifically mentioned.
Other regions also have similar problems .So take it slow and easy.
Spain is an enormous country with many beautiful places and friendly people so hope wherever you decide to retire to KK you will be

Like 0      
04 Oct 2012 8:49 AM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

...happy.
Edit post wouldn't work for me !

Like 0      
04 Oct 2012 10:09 AM by maddiemack Star rating in Grantham, Lincolnshi.... 194 posts Send private message

floella is absolutely right about Chiclana.  If you're buying a place rather than renting (which most of us would advise before buying, anyway) be very careful.  When we were searching for a place to buy a few years ago, we spent time in the Cadiz province and loved the area.  Chiclana wasn't our favourite choice but it's a large town that has everything you could need so we looked at three rather nice properties on the outskirts of town....only to find, after our research, that they had ALL been built illegaly!  We could have looked at more properties there, of course, but it rather put us off and we started to look a little further inland.  There are some lovely towns and villages just a little inland.  We particularly liked Arcos de la Fontera and Lebrija, but, if you are looking for a typical 'Spanish' town, Medina Sidonia is tops.  It is set on top of a hill, as is Arcos, with a beautiful square in the center for that wonderful, street cafe culture that we all love.  And the views from these hilltop towns/villages are stunning.

Like 0      
05 Oct 2012 6:34 PM by KidKinobe Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Thanks Flo and Maddie. I know a guy over here who decided to build a brand new house on his land and he was half way thru building when the local council got involved and made him demolish it. When he done that he was hit with a fine for not taking out the proper consents for starting a new build and then hit with another fine for not taking out the proper consents to demolish his half built  illeagl building.

And then another guy whos commercial building failed a building inspection and was told he had

"24 hours to vacate the building as it was a danger hazard and likely to fall over at any given moment."

He got all his gear and and moved to a new building to continue work. Meanwhile his old property was cordoned off with danger tape and safety barriers while he went about getting the proper paperwork done to get the his  unsafe building demolished.

EIGHTEEN MONTHS later he got the paper work approved to demo his building which was on the verge of falling over eighteen months prior.

Like 0      
05 Oct 2012 7:14 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

DOH !!!!
Knew there was something wrong with my post but it has only just registered. Must have been the Gota Fria my area has just endured.
It,s SPECIFICALLY not Pasifically !!!!!
What a wally

Like 0      
05 Oct 2012 7:40 PM by KidKinobe Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Funny Flo:) If you are ever conversing with a Kiwi or Aussie, listen to how they say 'specifically' it sounds more like  'pasifically"

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Storms in Southern Spain - 8 posts
Geoff - 3 posts
geoff - 0 posts
The flash floods - 0 posts
Community Fees by Direct Debit - 2 posts
property ¬banks - 0 posts
Price comparison and service in Spain - 7 posts
Flash Floods in Southern Spain - 4 posts
Spanish Bank Pursuing UK and Irish Assets - 3 posts
Masmovil network - 3 posts
Why go back to the Uk? Is Spain not cheap enough? - 216 posts
U.K. Driving licence. - 36 posts
When the family come to visit - they won't all fit in the car. - 1 posts
Ryanair Flights - 2 posts
Spanish TV in the community - 1 posts
BRITISH DRIVING LICENCE AND RESIDENCE - 0 posts
Exporting ypur Spanish car to the U.K. - 0 posts
Temoporary Structures, What are the rules? - 1 posts
FIAT PUNTO - 1 posts
what happens if you have lost your nie? - 2 posts
BRITTANY FERRIES STRIKE - READ IF YOU ARE TRAVELLING UP TO 28 SEPTEMBER - 0 posts
BRITTANY FERRIES STRIKE - READ IF YOU ARE TRAVELLING UP TO 28 SEPTEMBER - 0 posts
Mastercard - 1 posts
greedy wife stealing inheritance from children - 0 posts
Form 210 Joint Property Ownership - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 20

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x