Does Spain have hourly minimum wage rate?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Sep 2012 11:04 PM by speedymike Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I would like to know if Spain has a minimum hourly pay rate for employees?

I know that most countries in Europe have a minimum rate, regardless of what type of employment you're in.

And this rate usually means every worker - regardless of being a resident, from Europe, or outside Europe.

The reason that I ask is because in the townland of Gran Alacant (Santa Pola), I know of a few guys from India.

One of these guys works in a Pizza /Kebab take away restaurant. He works 9 hours a day, 7 days a week - from 3pm to midnight.

He has no free days, no holidays, no breaks in between work shift, and for all this he receives less than 2 euros an hour.

Is this normal for non-Europeans?

This Indian boy is just 22 years, and he works 250 hours a month, for a wage of 500 euros a month.

Then he has to pay for accommodation, light, water, electricity bills.

He receives cash in hand, with no pay advice, nor is there a written work contract. In other words, "black money".

Surely, in this day and age, this is SLAVERY !!!

In the same pizza /kebab restaurant, there are also some Spanish workers, who receivea much higher salary AND days off.

Can anyone help in this regard with information regarding exploitation of a young non-european worker?

Is there a website with this information?

Are non-Europeans not allowed the same pay-rate as European workers?

Is there a place to lodge a complaint on "Slave Labour"?

This message was last edited by speedymike on 09/09/2012.

Like 0      
09 Sep 2012 11:44 PM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

Hi SpeedyMike

Found this doing a search on Google.es

http://www.expatfocus.com/expatriate-spain-employment

Hope it helps somewhat in this problem.

Regards

Nigel

Like 0      
10 Sep 2012 12:52 AM by ojosazul88 Star rating. 171 posts Send private message

"are non-Europeans not allowed the same pay-rate as European workers?

Is there a place to lodge a complaint on "Slave Labour"?"

Is this some kind of joke post? If he has no legal right to work in Spain which of course i do not know, then he shouldnt be working in the first place. The employer could be fined too. What, you want to lodge a complaint that illegal workers are getting paid too little!  If it were Australia and he were caught working illegally, he would be on the first flight out.

Like 0      
10 Sep 2012 3:22 AM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

and if he was in the UK they would fight his case, give him a house, pay him money and make sure he was OK health wise. Suckers that we are !!!!!!!

Like 0      
03 Oct 2012 2:30 AM by llegaralasestrellas Star rating in United Kingdom (BHX .... 58 posts Send private message

llegaralasestrellas´s avatar

-Minimum wage, yes but not hourly, it's a different system to UK, based on sector and contract.  But if he does not have an employment contract or the relevent work permit it's going to impossible for him to get it, since the employer owuld be prosecuted for hiring illegal workers and he would just be deported. 

This sort of situation common for illegal work, regadless of nationality. I know of EU citizens who have worked illegally and wound up in similar situations working for €2 an hour. It's worst in Andalucia and the resort towns on the Med. coast, but it's everywhere to some degree or another.

Like 0      
03 Oct 2012 10:45 AM by competa Star rating in Scotland. 92 posts Send private message

Spain has a culture of "black" workers - one of the reasons why the economy is in the state it is.  Every worker, whether from the EU or non EU, should pay social security, but it would seem that this is not enforced.  The employers should also pay a contribution, but this is not enforced either.

Like 0      
03 Oct 2012 10:49 AM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

If that is the case literally Billions could be recouped by enforcing these rules.

Might be worth trying a hefty reward process to turn the perpetrators in. 

This message was last edited by gerrryuk on 03/10/2012.

Like 0      
03 Oct 2012 2:40 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Gerry, sorry but that is very simplistic approach.

If the law was enforced, there would a lot less people who had any work, as they would be too expensive to employ,  and for those who did pay, in the end it would be the consumer who would have to pay, as the increase would be passed on.

Like 0      
03 Oct 2012 3:09 PM by llegaralasestrellas Star rating in United Kingdom (BHX .... 58 posts Send private message

llegaralasestrellas´s avatar

Actually, there are elements of Gerry's proposal that make sense. For one thing, if a company cannot actually make it's business plan work except by breaking the law, then it shouldn't be in business. For one thing, it is, by definition, illegal. Secondly, it is putting legitimate, tax-paying and SS paying operators that pay living wages to their workers out of business. Thirdly, they contribute to the culture of corruption by paying bribes to police and fuctionarios to look the other way.

Bringing these businesses to book has several advantages. Firstly, it forces them to play by the same rules as other companies or stop trading, which means legit companies can now compete on a fair playing field, meaning they are less likely to shed staff and might also take some on. Secondly, the illegal company goes straight, and also is required to hire legal staff and pay a fair wage, and start paying tax and SS contributions as well - or go bust, passing it's market share to the legit operators and new entrants. Thirdly, a major source of corruption is tackled, which sends a message to both public and private sectors that corruption is not going to be tolerated. Finally it trasnfers jobs from (primarily) migrants to (mostly) the settled population. Since most migrants don't claim the same welfare benefits as the settled populace when unemployed and don't pay taxes when they are employed, there is a strong financial benefit for the state in legalising those jobs and getting locals into them, even if it were fewer jobs than the migrants previously filled.

For it to happen though there does need to be an incentive. It has to be worth more to people to blow the whistle on illegal employers than to simply accept bribes to keep quiet. Furthermore, it might be worth offering an amnesty to illegal migrants who blow the whistle. It will make people more ready to speak up and get these enterprises either legalised an on a fair playing field or out of the picture, either way the legal businesses then have a fighting chance.

Tolerating it is only going to perpetuate a systemtic failure that will come back to haut us all later.

Like 0      
03 Oct 2012 6:06 PM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

Extremely well put illleg....... etc.

And an amnesty further makes the proposal even more realistic. Draw a line under the previous misdemeanours (damn I think that's spelt wrong) & start from a given date. January 1st seems favourite which gives time for the offenders to put their house in order.

As for putting people out of business, work still has to be done, so don't agree with that John, sorry.

How many times have we seen, heard or know of people not paying monies due to the State when we ourselves conform the law of that land. It is  so very annoying & costs us Yes! you & me.

Just set up a National whistleblower hotline made very very public, on TV,Billboards etc. it'll frighten a lot to conform.cause a lot to pay any fines & reward the public spirited (maybe even the needy). Extra staff would need to need to be employed but offset by the Billions it would bring in.

It's far to easy to easy to say, "well we've always done it", action is needed to change it.

MICE OR MEN !!!!!!

Like 0      
04 Oct 2012 12:06 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Gerry
                     As for putting people out of business, work still has to be done, so don't agree with that John, sorry

Gerry,
                      consider; a person of modest means employs a cleaner, a child-minder etc.   Paying the hourly rate is one thing, but add to that Social Security payments, tax etc, and hey presto, they can’t afford to employ anyone.

That is a job lost, not diverted to another company. 

It may also mean that that the person employing the cleaner or whatever, also must give up their work as the sums cannot add up.

This just my opinion based on 25 years in Spain.

Like 0      
04 Oct 2012 12:12 PM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

Thanks John,

you just won me a tenner !!!!  I bet my mate you'd come back with an objection.

So ................... if we're thinking about it lets start with a minimum of employers to start paying.

It is not the little person this is aimed at but maybe from 5, 7 or 10 employers or more.

Like 0      
04 Oct 2012 12:39 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

you just won me a tenner !!!!  I bet my mate you'd come back with an objection.

OK Gerry, if you did not want to debate the various other opinions in EOS, especially with those who have lived in Spain for  a reasonable period and thus might actually know something about the reality of the situation,  you should have said so.

PS hope you declare the tenner in your tax return !!!

Like 0      
04 Oct 2012 12:56 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

As johnzx says, it's too expensive to employ people in Spain, hence the reason why people get paid cash in hand.  I was briefly working in Spain when I first arrived and if I remember correctly, my employer had to pay something like 20% on top of my salary as social security contributions.

It's common for people to get paid a certain amount through the books then the rest in cash.  This is the case for most people I know in Spain.  I know a lot of autonomos who just pay the 260 euros required and don't declare anything else.  Some have even given up paying autonomo altogether becasue 260 per month is a lot of money, and you get very little in return for it (no dole entitlement).

People have to understand that tax avoidance is socially acceptable here in Spain and everyone does it to a certain degree.  I think people rightly object to paying tax here because they see how their hard earned money is wasted on airports that have never seen a flight and funds a public sector work force that has a very easy life.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
04 Oct 2012 2:59 PM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

That's another tenner, thanks John).

If you were to manage to look below that remark you would have seen I was answering your reply.

But I don't care where you live whether it be the UK, Spain ot Timbuktoo, Black economy ruins a countries finances even if it is considered acceptable & has been so for many many years.

It's like paying waitress's peanuts because they are given tips.

And for people who pay FULL TAXES etc as I do it really rankles.

Like 0      
04 Oct 2012 4:52 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

04 Oct 2012 4:54 PM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

nope! you guessed wrong, but I'm not a law maker !!!!!!!

So it's when in Rome .................... & live with it !

Like 0      
04 Oct 2012 5:00 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Sorry Gerry but from that comment it shows you know little about Spain and Spanish life.  It usual for the Spanish not to give a tip to waiters, they usually just leave the odd change.

That waiters  do not seek a tip, as is demonstrated by the fact when one gets change,  say one hands over 50 euros for a 30 euro bill one will be handed a 20 euro note.   The same applies to taxi drivers etc.  Unlike in UK where it would be a 10, a 5 and some ones, so that the customer is ‘able  and encouraged'  to give a tip.

Like 0      
04 Oct 2012 5:06 PM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

again I was generalising, although surely small change constitutes a tip??

Like 0      
04 Oct 2012 5:35 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Small change =  a few cents,

With you winning all those teners,  I doubt you would try to suggest that amounts to a tip of any description especially in relation to your comment:-

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

HOW DO SPAIN'S LOCAL TAXES COMPARE WITH UK COUNCIL TAX. - 7 posts
Dation and balance III - 1 posts
apartment in El Campello, Alicante - 0 posts
Wanted car - 3 posts
internet - 2 posts
Any nice Hotels or b/Bs near Alicante Airport - 0 posts
I am spanish woman. Doubts? - 3 posts
- 0 posts
I am spanish woman and I can to help you - 10 posts
What's long term - 3 posts
- 0 posts
Spanish Citizenship Interview Questions - 7 posts
music teacher - 0 posts
Movistar - 2 posts
HIRING A CAR FROM MALAGA AIRPORT - 6 posts
Were we wrong to move to Spain? Should we have gone to France instead? - 38 posts
Wot no heating?? - 61 posts
Looking for a Community Administrator - 2 posts
change community status - 1 posts
Form 210 - 1 posts
change community status - 0 posts
TEFL or equivalent English teacher wanted - 0 posts
Easyjet introduce allocated seating - 19 posts
Delicious, exciting and easy food, from an english girl...in spain - 0 posts
Wanted: experiences with the Spanish property market - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 27

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x