LAWYERS COSTS IN SPAIN

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Jun 2007 12:00 AM by pearson02 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

We have hired a company in Marbella called Law Birds we paid 3000 euros to them for them to act on our behalf in trying to recover money we passed over to Palmera Properties the builder being Mirador unfortunately this was 4years ago and

we decided to let them them act on our behalf and signed over power of attourney. When we met with the Lawyers we were told that this would be full payment for their services in recovery of the money. However they are now asking for a further 2000 euros for a barrister. Is this correct  or do you think we should have only paid the first amount.

Thankyou any advice would help us.

Like 0      
28 Jun 2007 3:21 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi pearson02

You really need to look deeply into what your contract says with them. If it's only their word I think you'd have to pay for this but  you should ask Maria who posts on here. Here's her details. Good luck.

Maria L. de Castro

Lawyer

www.costaluzlawyers.es

Like 0      
28 Jun 2007 9:14 PM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

Lawbird are a good firm of Lawyers. It does not sound unreasonable to me(from my personal experience) to pay for a barrister on top of their fees.

Like 0      
28 Jun 2007 9:23 PM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

Hi Pearson,

I'm in touch with group of investors who are trying to recover their deposits at another project. I understand that they agreed to work with Lawbird on terms  that they would only pay over an initial up front fee of around €3,000 and the balance of their fees would be charged on a "No Win No Fee basis"
A barristar's charge in Spain is certainly NOT a fee to employ the services of a high ranking lawyer to represent you all as you would expect to be the case in the UK. These "Spanish Court barristers "are employed to do a lot of running round making sure that all parties are fully informed about pending court dates and to collate all of the relevant case documnents and make them available to both the prosecution and defendants lawyers in addition to the Judge. A fee of €2,000 appears to be quite high if it's being charged in an individual basis! If the barrister is working on behalf of a group then I would have expected your lawyer to have negotiated a much lower fee?

I've been involved with a group of investors who are going through a similar action. We managed to negotiate the barristar's fee down to €1,000 per claimant based on a group action.

Mike T

Like 0      
28 Jun 2007 9:47 PM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

This message was last edited by Tish on 6/29/2007.

Like 0      
17 Jul 2007 11:17 AM by andy harris Star rating in Costa Del Sol, Mijas.... 21 posts Send private message

Question for Maria:

Can I ask you something.

I am in dispute with a lawyer who I engaged to handle a matter concerning my illegal employment in Spain.

We agreed he would take my case and he verbally assured me he would requre 500 euros in advance plus 15% of any successful claim but I received nothing in writing.

I gave him the 500 euros and he gave me  a receipt on a blank sheet of paper  which I queried but he saw nothing wrong in it.

We went to arbitration and now he wants another 1000 euros to continue with the case which I have refused and he will not pursue my case, or release information about it to me so I can pursue it alone.

Can I ask:

Are lawyers legally required to state fees in writing in advance ?

Ae lawyers required to give proper receipts on formal headed notepaper?

Can you give me an address of the Colegio de  Abogados who I can take this up with.

I mention no names because that would be unprofessional.

Thanks

Andy H

Like 0      
17 Jul 2007 2:38 PM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

Hi Andy,

I suspect Maria is busy, she is about to give birth anytime now, that's if she has not already done so.

I Googled 'Colegio de  Abogados' and various websites came up,depending on whichSpanish speaking country you reside. For Spain the different regions are listed so I copied and pasted the Malaga website address:- 

http://www.icamalaga.es/

Addresses are available for the 'Colegio offices' in Marbella,Estepona etc., so I suppose the same information will be available for the part of Spain where you live.

Like 0      
05 Aug 2007 9:00 PM by andy harris Star rating in Costa Del Sol, Mijas.... 21 posts Send private message

Thanks for this Sandra. I did email the Colegio but didnt even get a response. Now that Maria is back , can she make any suggestions.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

off plan build - 2 posts
calanova grand golf - 0 posts
URGENT, GLASS SHOP OR MAN TO FIT NEEDED,? - 3 posts
spanish bank account - 11 posts
WE BOUGHT A PROPERTY WITHOUT BANK GUARANTEE WHAT CAN WE DO - 8 posts
azahar / mirador / - 1 posts
TEMPORARY SUMMER WORK REQUIRED - 0 posts
wetone - 6 posts
New to site - 9 posts
LONG TERM RENTSAL AVAILABLE IN FUENTEMAR VERA/GARRUCHA - 5 posts
Costa del 'Con' - CNN TV Programme - 0 posts
Solicitors and survey fees - 3 posts
Child's cot - 3 posts
Mobile phones - 0 posts
Jack Russell Puppies - 4 posts
NEW VODAFONE 3 GB USB MODEM - 2 posts
steve&san - 3 posts
Cheeky blighters! - 10 posts
Villamartin Hills Alicante/Murcia - 3 posts
murcia properties - 1 posts
needing some advice - 5 posts
Water problems (hard deposits) HELP NEEDED - 38 posts
Euro Anglo Sur (prestige Villas) - 4 posts
Holiday Rentals & Management in Duquesa Area - 0 posts
Power of Attorney (POA) - 10 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x