spanish bank account

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Jun 2007 12:00 AM by tired of waiting Star rating in navan,ireland.. 100 posts Send private message

spanish bank accounts can anyone tell me what bank to open an account here in spain that has free transactions. Here for the week and want to get the job done. By the way its 30 degrees for anyone who wants to know !!!

Like 0      
27 Jun 2007 8:49 PM by jeffcoo Star rating in Marbella. 76 posts Send private message

jeffcoo´s avatar

well all i can say is be careful, and before you take out any money read what the ATM machine displays, the good thing is if you use another ATM to make a transaction they will inform you if and what charges will be applicable, for example, i bank with Solbank, they dont charge me to use their ATM machines, however some banks will attempt to charge me EUR 4.80, which is nuts!  personally i wont give them my money and now know where all the Solbanks are located....

hope it helps

Jeff

Like 0      
27 Jun 2007 8:49 PM by jeffcoo Star rating in Marbella. 76 posts Send private message

jeffcoo´s avatar

well all i can say is be careful, and before you take out any money read what the ATM machine displays, the good thing is if you use another ATM to make a transaction they will inform you if and what charges will be applicable, for example, i bank with Solbank, they dont charge me to use their ATM machines, however some banks will attempt to charge me EUR 4.80, which is nuts!  personally i wont give them my money and now know where all the Solbanks are located....

hope it helps

Jeff

Like 0      
27 Jun 2007 9:22 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Halifax España if you keep an average of (I think) €600 in the account throughout the year.

All banks in Spain charge for transactions, maintenance fees, issue of debit card etc but most give free ATM withdrawals.

I'm with Bankinter and it was a bit disconcerting to have several thousand euros in it, not use it and still see €7.80 a month taken out in "account" fees and then a €25 maintenance charge taken out annually plus a fee for paying standing orders.  And don't even mention the charge they make when you pay for something by cheque...........Am going to close it down soon and change to Halifax when I move over.

Like 0      
27 Jun 2007 9:35 PM by jeffcoo Star rating in Marbella. 76 posts Send private message

jeffcoo´s avatar

not sure of this is useful....

I opened a Solbank ( non resident account)  they only charge me 20 Euros every three months, and all transactions are free. all international money transfers are free, if i send receive money to anywhere or any country it is free......i have a debit card with them, its free, like i said the only financial obligation, ( charge i have is the 20 Euros every 3 months), the branch in Marbella have super staff, most speak a high level of english, ( degree educated staff helps),  they are used customers trading , investing, or even foreign students, i highly recommend them....when in spain why have a british bank.....!

hope it helps

thanks

Jeff 

Like 0      
27 Jun 2007 9:44 PM by Chris&Julie Star rating in Dublin . 82 posts Send private message

Chris&Julie´s avatar

Hi tired of waiting,

Maybe you should try Halifax espania, as Halifax are in Ireland now if you open an account with them  ( Trimgate Street Navan) you can get free money transfers to your account in Spain.Thats what we are doing at present.

Hope this helps

Julie

Dublin

Like 0      
27 Jun 2007 11:30 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Helen,

Halifax ES .. free transfers from a UK Halifax, current a/c, free banking as long as you open ordinary a/c with minimum 600€ & maintain that amount generally, free DD's, debit card 3€ annually. NO non residents charge, normally around 18€ per person named on the a/c every two years. You can open the Extra current a/c & keep less in without charges but it costs 25€ annually for that, lots of extras though, see links below.

http://www.halifax.es/halifaxing/acc/curracc.asp?sec=acc  basic a/c

http://www.halifax.es/halifaxing/acc/xtra.asp?sec=acc# Extra a/c, click on the  HALIFAX CLUB to see benefits of this a/c.

You can open a Halifax ES a/c from the UK by phoning  the European Operations Dept. in the UK (0845) 600 3603

Also, if you're going over to Spain regularly you get brilliant rates from Visa ATMs if you open a Nationwide flexi current a/c in the UK & ensure you put money in that before going to Spain. Draw cash out once in Spain & you'll get bank rates. We did this last week & got 1.4801 rate.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 6/28/2007.

Like 0      
28 Jun 2007 11:51 AM by tired of waiting Star rating in navan,ireland.. 100 posts Send private message

Thanks everybody. Julie, I actually live in Navan and the Halifax is opened next door to my husbands business Tierneys Newsagents, Trimgate Street  - you might know it ?

Helen

Like 0      
28 Jun 2007 1:48 PM by jeffcoo Star rating in Marbella. 76 posts Send private message

jeffcoo´s avatar

why pay rates for the use of ATMS,  personaly id take all the advice on offer here, then work out what will suit your current financial situation, Smiley had some sound advice for me, regarding Spanish banks, i thought the UK banks would be preferable, however, after searching and reading various tpoics here, i found some suitable to me, personally, its all about what you want to do with your money, are you investing, saving, or just using an account to live  day to day......

i cant remember where the thread is but this has been covered before, Justin and Smiley had mounds of experience in this area...and of course any new information which you may find out in your research do pass on to us here. No one has a monopoly on information and competition is high, so banks frequently change their options and plans....

regards and good luck

Jeff

Like 0      
28 Jun 2007 3:10 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Jeff,

If you use your Nationwide debit cards in a Visa ATM, there are no charges, honestly.

Like 0      
28 Jun 2007 3:47 PM by gericom99 Star rating in Offaly, Ireland / Ca.... 270 posts Send private message

gericom99´s avatar
We found Caja Madrid in Arroyo de la Miel, CDS to be super - no charges other than €4.50 quarterly if your account balance falls below an average of €1,500. They had some small charge for a debit card which is needed if you wish to access your account from the internet. Foreign transfers are free but if you are transferring a large sum into the account they like to get notification by phone or email so that they can intervene to eliminate the normal automated charge. They have English speaking staff also. I think it's very useful to be able to access the account online.

Like 0      
03 Jul 2007 2:36 PM by seamus kilcock Star rating in Co Kildare, Ireland. 15 posts Send private message

Interesting the positive comments about Halifax, they have opened in Maynooth near where I live (Kilcock). I must call into them.

I've tried a number of different banks over the years in the CDS and finally found one that has excellent service at reasonable cost and all paperwork is in the english language - it is the Solbank at La Cala de Mijas branch. (I believe all Solbank branches have multi lingual staff).

I've had problems insuring my apartment using the conventional brokerage route and then I found Solbank offered this service. The cover I got was better and the cost of insurance less than what I was paying.

Hope this is of interest to those who reside in the Royal County!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

WE BOUGHT A PROPERTY WITHOUT BANK GUARANTEE WHAT CAN WE DO - 8 posts
azahar / mirador / - 1 posts
TEMPORARY SUMMER WORK REQUIRED - 0 posts
wetone - 6 posts
New to site - 9 posts
LONG TERM RENTSAL AVAILABLE IN FUENTEMAR VERA/GARRUCHA - 5 posts
Costa del 'Con' - CNN TV Programme - 0 posts
Solicitors and survey fees - 3 posts
Child's cot - 3 posts
Mobile phones - 0 posts
Jack Russell Puppies - 4 posts
NEW VODAFONE 3 GB USB MODEM - 2 posts
steve&san - 3 posts
Cheeky blighters! - 10 posts
Villamartin Hills Alicante/Murcia - 3 posts
murcia properties - 1 posts
needing some advice - 5 posts
Water problems (hard deposits) HELP NEEDED - 38 posts
Euro Anglo Sur (prestige Villas) - 4 posts
Holiday Rentals & Management in Duquesa Area - 0 posts
Power of Attorney (POA) - 10 posts
4 x 4 Dealers CDS. - 3 posts
EasyJet flights out of Bristol now on sale for after 27th October - 0 posts
How would you like to purchase a luxury apartment on a golf course and get it fully furnished for free? - 11 posts
satalite & air con - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x