VAT on consumables?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Jun 2012 11:07 PM by neddie Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

...when one sees a price tag on a product in a store, does the price include VAT or is it added on at the cash register?

Are there any products that are exempt from VAT ?..... i am thinking of medical items for example

( i am posting from the US and so i am unable to do a 'live' test ;) )

Like 0      
19 Jun 2012 12:36 PM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

neddie

In  Spain, the price you see in a shop is the price you pay. We do not add tax on top of the shelf price tag.  The exceptions to inclusive prices are some restaurants  show on the menu that I.V.A. (V.A.T./purchase tax) is not included. At the moment I.V.A. is 18% on most things but will rise to 20% next year.

On telephone, electricty, water etc. they quote a price without I.V.A. but the rate is much lower than the 18% on shop items.

In restaurants the 'normal' amount you tip is:-

If you are Spanish .... usually the few coins you get as change

If you are an ex-pat (i.e. permanent) about 5%

If you are a Brit on holiday up to 10%.

We do NOT equal the tax as a tip!

A lot of medical items in Spain are much cheaper than in the U.K. Also you can buy over the counter most drugs that in the U.K. you would need a prescription from your Doctor.

Bring on your next questions

Like 0      
19 Jun 2012 3:41 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I am British but have lived in Spain for 25 years.  Just like the Spanish I do not tip in most situations.   I will leave the small  coins.

This applies to all situation including  taxis.

You will notice that in Spain when you get your change it is not normally made ‘convenient’ to leave a tip. Thus if it comes to say 5 euros and you pay with a 20 euro note,  you will get a 5 note and a 10 note, not a 10, and various coins.ie they are not looking for a tip.

Like 0      
19 Jun 2012 6:46 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

There are many places in Spain where vat is added to the price, one being agricultural suppliers & another cash & carrys.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

POUNDLAND / 99P SHOP - 10 posts
Newbie to the Forum - 0 posts
MODERN AND TRANSPARENT JUSTICE IN SPAIN - 0 posts
Ideas for nice towns within an hour of Alicante Airport? - 21 posts
Orihuela town hall to deal with illegal properties that evade paying taxes. - 0 posts
Teleast - 3 posts
Things to do in September - 0 posts
Good quality external white paint needed - 2 posts
nearest medical centre to Corvera - 2 posts
La Union Accomodation - 0 posts
Enquirey - 1 posts
Reversing Lights - 10 posts
water bill - 2 posts
Chat to English speaking Costa Del Sol -Seville - 4 posts
Ok, i know Catalunya is a big area but.... - 1 posts
Ryanair website???? - 6 posts
shower and gas bottle water heaters - 4 posts
C Bar - 2 posts
Garage Bleepers - 2 posts
Manilva Park Green - 0 posts
Looking to rent top floor apt/townhouse for 3m+ - 2 posts
POTATO VODKA - 0 posts
Suzuki LTZ400 quad. Help required. - 0 posts
PLEASE HELP!! URGENT!!! 3 BED PROPERTY NEEDED. - 0 posts
EMZ car hire - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x