DO I NEED AN NIE NUM TO OPEN A NON RESIDENT BANK ACCOUNT

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Mar 2012 12:00 AM by granjero Star rating in lincs. 28 posts Send private message

HI to everyone do i need a nie num to open a non resident bank acc in spain ,does anyone know which bank is the cheapest in respect of bank charges in spain

Like 0      
29 Mar 2012 11:27 PM by stillgoin Star rating. 161 posts Send private message

no you can open anaccount without nie but the charges will be higher no idea which is cheapest though

Like 0      
29 Mar 2012 11:27 PM by stillgoin Star rating. 161 posts Send private message

no you can open an account without nie but the charges will be higher no idea which is cheapest though

This message was last edited by stillgoin on 29/03/2012.

Like 0      
30 Mar 2012 2:06 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

The Numero De Identificación de Extranjeros  (NIE) is the fiscal number by which the Authorities, in particular the Tax Office, keep track of your financial dealings.  With the number thay can track and view every bank account, house orc ar purchase etc  in Spain. 

Certainly in theory, and I have found practically always in practice, you cannot open a bank account or enter into any other financial agreement without the number. There may of course be entities which are more relaxed and may let you open but not operate an account.

As for the cheapest. It depends on what you are expecting of the bank, thus make a list and ask. You can also negotiate charges. For example my son pays 30cent when money is transferred into his account instead of the usual fixed percentage.

Do not assume that the bank will charge in any particular way. UK practices do not apply. Example. I transferred a fairly large sum from Sol Bank and they charged me 0.5% on the total. That was over £800.

I have found personally that the Cajas (saving banks)

Like 0      
30 Mar 2012 2:17 AM by stillgoin Star rating. 161 posts Send private message

sorry john but i opened my first bank account here without an nie and it was very easy passport and proof of uk address easy peasy

and yes it was a proper bank and for those who need it everyone speaks english in the bank

This message was last edited by stillgoin on 30/03/2012.

Like 0      
30 Mar 2012 10:21 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

You can open a bank account without an NIE.  However, if you are purchasing anything like property or a car etc you will need the NIE.  At one time, you could buy a house etc without the NIE but they changed the rules some time ago and the NIE is needed prior to the purchase.  Banks also used to offer to obtain the NIE for you when you opened an account but I don't think they can do that now as you have to apply in person.

Bank charges will vary depending on many things.  How many transactions you make, how much your balance is, if you pay direct debits through them etc.  I have 3 bank accounts here (CAM, Bank Inter and Bancaja) and none have ever charged for receiving money from my UK transfers.  When they were non-resident accounts, though, each bank charged for the biannual cert of non-residency which is charged for each named person on the account and varied from bank to bank.  

All banks charge for the issue of debit cards etc when you are non-resident but some will waive the charge if you have regular payments (usually over 800 or 1000 euros a month) paid in or have a minimum balance in your account each month.  Most (and my 3 certainly did) will also have an account maintenance charge which they seem to take out whenever they feel like it and Bank Inter used to charge me 80 cents for statements (usually taking out something like 2.80 a quarter).  

I think you'd also need the NIE if you have a deposit account earning interest.

Like 0      
30 Mar 2012 11:30 AM by norm de plume Star rating in North Tenerife and L.... 162 posts Send private message

Depending on what you want your account for, a (free) euro account with Citibank might be a useful alternative.  You don't need an NIE for that.

This message was last edited by norm de plume on 30/03/2012.

Like 0      
24 Mar 2015 8:35 PM by yachtpro Star rating in Valencia. 1 posts Send private message

yachtpro´s avatar

Finally anyone to recommend a bank with no NIE requirement?

Like 0      
24 Mar 2015 8:39 PM by starfox Star rating. 58 posts Send private message

25 Mar 2015 8:39 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Take a look here:-

https://www.bbva.es/sistema/meta/info-legal/index.jsp

It says that customers with bank accounts must produce certain documents before 30th April 2015, if they do not the account will be frozen.    One such doc is an NIE. 

I have always understood one needs an NIE to operate any account.

If non-resident then one also needs a non-residence certificate, issued by the National Police,  which is renewed regularly,   I think every 2 years.

PS   I just found this too, its in English:-  

Citizens Must Provide Their Banks with Relevant ID Documents before End of April | Spanish News in English - On The Pulse of Spain

This message was last edited by johnzx on 25/03/2015.

Like 0      
25 Mar 2015 9:35 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

When I first opened bank accounts in Spain done through my UK Halifax, on the Halifax office phone, talking to an Irish chap, who was in Spain, I needed nothing in the way of ID, they just sent out confirmation that it was all done and up and running, I then went into the UK Halifax and put cash funds into my UK account and straight away transferred it over to the Spanish account. Now they want to know how many hairs up your armpit.

As said here,  a couple of weeks ago I received letters from the banks needing me to send ID details for the accounts, or as mentioned would be frozen. Halifax is now Sabadell

Everything is changing though. Nothing to do with this post but one company who I have dealt with for years has now been advised..(Told)..by the UK HMRC not to take cash anymore....Everything is changing.

This message was last edited by baz1946 on 25/03/2015.

This message was last edited by baz1946 on 25/03/2015.

Like 0      
25 Mar 2015 10:23 AM by starfox Star rating. 58 posts Send private message

Well, you can go to the Sabadell website and open an expansion account online in a matter of minutes using just your passport number in English. There is no requirement for an NIE and there wasn't when we opened an account with them in the office, they have our scanned passports and that is the end of it which they may ask you for a copy of later if you do it online. You may also be asked to provide a non residents certificate later as well but you absolutely can open an account without an NIE.

There are other banks that are like this as well but I can't speak for them and at the same time there are banks that will require NIEs and other faff, so it's up to you which bank you choose.

The links that I have read regarding Ley 10/2010 all say ID needed will in general be DNI, NIE or Passport and a Declaration of Economic activity, so as far as I can tell the requirement for an NIE is uneccessary depending on the individual banks policy.

There is also a link which states that a bank cannot block your account unless you refuse to supply the required documents and they would need to get a court order to block it. If they do, and they will then you will need to complain.

http://lexbcn.blogspot.com.es/2014/10/banco-de-sabadell-atlantico-bloquea.html

This message was last edited by starfox on 25/03/2015.

This message was last edited by starfox on 25/03/2015.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Party walls/fences - 5 posts
Spanish registered car for sale in UK - 3 posts
Cancel my Residencia - 53 posts
In Europe Sticking To The Rules Matters - 2 posts
General strike thursday - 5 posts
koi - 0 posts
Almanzora Country Club - 9 posts
love spain - 84 posts
Looking for a Villa to Rent for July and August in Quesada - 0 posts
Valencia - 5 posts
Quad wheels & tyres. - 0 posts
Stagecoach Theatre School "Musical 2012" 3 tickets for sale - 0 posts
Swimmimg pool liners - 4 posts
CPS Spain Rentals Benalmadena - 4 posts
Endesa and Aquagest direct debits - when and how much? - 2 posts
Residencia - 14 posts
Return of deposit - 16 posts
Long term rental advance payments advice.... - 2 posts
Clampdown on rogues in Spain - 1 posts
Ex Pats Gay Groups - 4 posts
Actual weather in Manilva / La Duquesa area? - 3 posts
Murcia Area- Working Potteries around Totana, Murcia Area - 0 posts
Smart Car for sale or swop - 1 posts
Have our eye on Spain - 24 posts
HOTEL KEY CARDS - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x