Party walls/fences

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Mar 2012 12:00 AM by jeffsears Star rating. 36 posts Send private message

The deeds to my house in the UK clearly identify who is the owner of any dividing walls/fences.

The deeds of my house in Spain do not identify who owns what. I assume that all walls are party walls and therefore jointly owned. Neighbours are building brick sheds against these walls and extending the height of the walls without seeking permission discussing it with the joint owner(s).

Can anybody clarify the laws (if any) relating to party walls.

Like 0      
29 Mar 2012 1:48 PM by El alamillo Star rating in Nottingham & El Alam.... 221 posts Send private message

You are quite right Party walls are jointly owned between neighbours. It is polite to ask you’re neighbour if they mind the work being carried out.
For example a few years ago after installing my pool just to make the terrace more private. I intended to raise the adjoining rear garden wall with my neighbours and fit a poolside solar shower. Not only did my Spanish neighbour agree he offered to Pay half the cost if I took it up one more breezeblock. There was me thinking that I was being polite not to take it up too high. But there you go. Yes me and my neighbour are still very good friends. Yes he did pay half the cost.

To raise a wall you should need a small works permit. To erect structures a major works permit. If these are not in place perhaps you may have to denounce your neighbour. Not nice, as bad feeling lasts a lifetime. Good Luck.

Sorry not able to clarify the laws

Like 0      
29 Mar 2012 5:14 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

However, note that in an apartment the community own the structure.

Like 0      
29 Mar 2012 5:44 PM by jeffsears Star rating. 36 posts Send private message

Unfortunately our community only owns a paddling pool.

The houses are individually owned back to back terraces each with a small 2m deep patio separated by 3m high block walling. As the terraces are slightly offset and I am on the end I share a rear wall with two other houses. The rest of my walling encloses my side garden from the road.

The development was meant for UK holiday homes but because of the 'crisis' many have been bought up by the locals. Nearly every back patio has been reformed into utility type rooms of varying styles and standards with multitude of different roofing tiles. Different coping stones have been put on top of the walls, walls have been raised and where different houses meet have ended up as a right dogs dinner. It seems that as long as the view from your house is OK then you don't have to worry about the mess that you have created for your neighbours.

It is quite common to return to your house to find the backyard full of broken bricks, lumps of cement and the wall that you lovingly painted completely spoiled.

Unfortunately the Brits are just as bad.

The  fronts of the houses have also been changed with tiling, multi coloured paints etc etc. I guess permission is not needed for this either.

Like 0      
29 Mar 2012 5:54 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

The  fronts of the houses have also been changed with tiling, multi colored paints etc etc. I guess permission is not needed for this either.

A building licence was required to do that work (in fact ANY work) thus you should / could complain to the town hall.

Like 0      
29 Mar 2012 10:40 PM by jeffsears Star rating. 36 posts Send private message

The big problem is that I have to live with amongst these people.

Although other people moan they are not prepared to stick their necks out.

Only yours truly.

In reality I have no choice but to shut up and try to ignore it.

As the saying goes 'it only takes good people to do nothing for evil to survive'.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Spanish registered car for sale in UK - 3 posts
Cancel my Residencia - 53 posts
In Europe Sticking To The Rules Matters - 2 posts
General strike thursday - 5 posts
koi - 0 posts
Almanzora Country Club - 9 posts
love spain - 84 posts
Looking for a Villa to Rent for July and August in Quesada - 0 posts
Valencia - 5 posts
Quad wheels & tyres. - 0 posts
Stagecoach Theatre School "Musical 2012" 3 tickets for sale - 0 posts
Swimmimg pool liners - 4 posts
CPS Spain Rentals Benalmadena - 4 posts
Endesa and Aquagest direct debits - when and how much? - 2 posts
Residencia - 14 posts
Return of deposit - 16 posts
Long term rental advance payments advice.... - 2 posts
Clampdown on rogues in Spain - 1 posts
Ex Pats Gay Groups - 4 posts
Actual weather in Manilva / La Duquesa area? - 3 posts
Murcia Area- Working Potteries around Totana, Murcia Area - 0 posts
Smart Car for sale or swop - 1 posts
Have our eye on Spain - 24 posts
HOTEL KEY CARDS - 6 posts
Wanted, red/silver gas bottle - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x