Spain's Rip-Off Dentists!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Aug 2014 11:10 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Although I think my husband was ripped off( he went to a different dentist)  the charges where I go are reasonable.

checkups are free, with clean and polish- 25 euro.

Small filling 30 e, large approx 50 , and they are white fillings.

Unless it's a front tooth, fillings on NHS will be amalgam , so you can 't really compare . 

you have to compare like for like,so don't compare Spanish private with UK NHS as they are not the same, both in quality or prices.

As for not being unable to get an NHS dentist, where I used to live, NHS dentists were advertising for patients!

Like 0      
04 Aug 2014 11:28 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

I do agree that some of the dentists do tear the backside out of it. Our neighbours went to one (recommended) and were charged nearly 500 euro for a crown whereas ours, for a tooth rebuild and porcelain crown, was €220.

My daughter lives in S Wales and trying to find a NHS dentist is a nightmare. We lived in the E MIdlands and had no problem although the entire practice was Rumanian. We originally had a private dentist but the fees went up so much it became ridiculous. We paid them £14 a month for checkups and basic work like clean and polish but anything above that was charged extra. When they put the price up to £14 each per month (over 10 years ago) we went NHS. However, if you didn't make two checkup appointments a year they would take you off their books.

Like 0      
05 Aug 2014 1:13 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

choosing a dentist is no different to choosing any other paid for service.

Do your research and ask for recomendations.

As an example ex pat tradesman in Spain tend to be more expensive than the local Spanish tradesmen but they speak your language and this may give you comfort etc some expats even say they are supporting their fellow countrymen / local ex pat community / tribalism / stick together or whatever - individual choice etc

Personally the Spanish dentist I use is very reasonable, up front and in general cheaper than I recall in the UK (and easier to get an appointment!!!). I chose them after a recommednation from a good friend, went to see them had a check up and a chat

As for going abroad for treatment you know the risk and again individual choice but not for me

Like 0      
06 Aug 2014 9:47 AM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

I was hoping to hear about Hygienists.  For me this is one of the most valuable services provided by my UK dentist but the local dentist I've used in Spain doesn't have any such connection and reckons there is no demand, other than him doing the job, which would be pricey.  In UK the Hygienists rate seems to be about 30% of that of the Dentist - does anyone know if they exist in Spain yet please?

Like 0      
06 Aug 2014 10:53 AM by juansheetisplenty Star rating in Cartagena. 283 posts Send private message

juansheetisplenty´s avatar

We use a dentist is Puerto Mazarron who we have found excellent. He employs no staff and hence does cleaning and reception himself, and is very thorough. A full check and clean is 50 EUros typically, which I think when you compare it with UK fairly reasonable where usually they insist of an inspection and clean separately, and charge for each. I think it is fairly typical for them not to employ a separate hygenist.

Saludos

Juan

Like 0      
06 Aug 2014 1:21 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

I know the dentist you mean, and people speak  very highly of him.

However, 50 euros is double what many dentists charge for a check, polish and clean, although his prices for crowns etc are very similar to others in the area.

The  two dentists on Camposol do have hygienists.

Some dentists do the hygienists job themselves to save money.

Like 0      
17 Mar 2017 12:25 PM by donnaw93 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

** EDITED - Against forum rules **

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 3/17/2017 2:11:00 PM.

Like 0      
20 Mar 2017 5:29 PM by donnaw93 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

i have always gone to my dentist in los montesinos, they speak english and are very good. the price has never worried me when i go because they always try and make it as cheap as possible.

Like 0      
05 Apr 2017 4:15 PM by marlowjen Star rating. 72 posts Send private message

Well of course I speak for myself only, but I had a wonderful Spanish dentist in Benicarlo and a few years later the lovely very good Maria in Chiclana, both brilliant dentists and I miss them now we are back in the UK.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Novosol Property Rental - 2 posts
Help with Spanish Translation - 4 posts
What do the courts do that takes so long????? - 1 posts
Single bed for sale, Fuengirola area - 0 posts
english fuses - 2 posts
Warning - 0 posts
Eroski Velez Malaga - 1 posts
WANTED: Beds and bedroom furniture. Xatia, Ontinyent area - 1 posts
British consulate open day 22nd Feb. - 2 posts
Administrator - 1 posts
Recommended property management company estepona / Marbella - 4 posts
MAD DOGS - 5 posts
sotoserena - 3 posts
Chrome /leather swivel chair - 0 posts
Shop fittings for sale - 0 posts
Keff ceiling loudspeakers x4 - 2 posts
Mannequin for shop window - 0 posts
Sharp cash register programmable - 0 posts
Sharp cash register programmable - 0 posts
Teac amplifier/radio tuner remote control - 0 posts
Long Term Rental Wanted Valle de Sol Murcia - 3 posts
Heating System Fuelled by Red Diesel - 1 posts
ENDESA - 4 posts
habitation licence - 4 posts
Pravda in Puerto Banus - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 49

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x