Farmacias in Trouble

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Dec 2011 12:00 AM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

The farmacias in the Alicante region haven´t been paid by the authorities since July and are fast going broke. All the farmacias in our area were closed today. There were signs up but as I didn´t go out I don´t know what they said. My friend who told me doesn´t speak Spanish so he couldn´t translate it!

Anyone know what´s going on?

Like 0      
19 Dec 2011 8:41 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

This from the Costa Blanca News:

CHEMISTS in the Valencia Region have decided to take direct action against regional government by going on strike for three days next week (December 19, 20 and 21) after it defaulted on a promised 60 million euro payment to them which was due by December 10.

The agreement to make the payment was reached in November and it was to be part of an ongoing series of payments designed to reduce the massive debt the regional authority has with the chemists and at the same time relieve the cash-flow problems they are experiencing.

To that end chemists from all three province gathered outside the regional tax authority's office in Valencia on Wednesday to protest at the treatment they are receiving but earlier in the day they reached agreeement on the strike action.

This move was decided upon after representatives from the three provinces met with tax councillor, José Manuel Vela, and health councillor, Luis Rosado on Monday.

Following the meeting a spokesman for the chemists, Jaime Carbonell, said that although the meeting was amenable the representatives were told that there was a problem and the 60 million euro payment could not be made until the end of the month, which was unacceptable.

To add to the problem, chemists have said they will start rationing medicines for patients that have chronic conditions in order to reduce their stocks and their debts with the companies that supply them.

Like 0      
20 Dec 2011 12:45 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

I hate to think what would happen if someone needed urgent medication and all Chemists are closed!

Joan

Like 0      
20 Dec 2011 12:59 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

20 Dec 2011 1:24 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Apparently there are emergency farmacias open - I´ve been told of one in La Zenia at least.

Like 0      
20 Dec 2011 1:39 PM by D_B_S Star rating. 178 posts Send private message

Welcome to the real world of finances.

Regional governments need to borrow to pay their way and it's getting very expensive in Spain.

Expect things to get worse with other governmental agencies as the Spanish debt situation and unemployment worsens in 2012.

David

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Sol Bank Refuse to Pay Out - 11 posts
Registering on electoral roll UK - 7 posts
Domestic Partner - 4 posts
Blocking of view. - 6 posts
Expats to be 'rescued' from Spain and Portugal!!!! - 187 posts
Happy Christmas, good luck and a prosperous New Year to everyone. - 0 posts
Obligation to purchase share in Cajamar Bank - 6 posts
Generic Bank guarantes-new buyers - 1 posts
Happy Christmas and New Year to everyone - 8 posts
Severe weather warnings in Spain - 0 posts
Butane gas - 14 posts
Morrisons Gibraltar - 2 posts
Electricity Prices Going up 25%?? - 1 posts
volantery contributions needed for the repair of the road at Camino Nicola Estepona - 0 posts
Marble crystalliser? - 2 posts
blue paraffin - 3 posts
Euro VS Sterling - 39 posts
Just moved to Puerto de Mazarron, Murcia - 2 posts
Hi, Im looking for yoga/meditation in Costa del Sol. - 1 posts
mortgage applied for - 5 posts
Sourcing stuff... a source of frustration! - 9 posts
Valor Catastral revalue in Marbella 2011 / 2012 - 4 posts
POLICE WARNING - 5 posts
paraja de hecho - 2 posts
Turkey for christamas - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x