A DIY challenge

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Dec 2011 12:00 AM by rowantree Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Hi, I have a bit of a DIY challenge, our builder has painted the tiles on our balcony and stairs to the roof with a plastic waterproof coating, he has also painted the wall above the tiles (about 3 - 4 cms) with the same coating. 

I have used Disolvente to successfully remove the coating from the tiles and skirting tiles but unfortunately cannot get the coating removed from the marble render. It is only 3-4 cms but it looks dreadful, as it is dirty and sticky (because the product used was not fit for purpose as it melts in the heat!)

So far I have tried, Disolvente, Aguafuerte, Tile Renovator, Hot water, and a Karcher pressure washer; the pressure washer has had some effect but I think I need a chemical solution as well in order to avoid blasting off all the marble render.

Anyone had a similar problem or can offer any suggestions -

thanks

Rowantree

Like 0      
08 Dec 2011 4:41 PM by semo Star rating in Ireland. 84 posts Send private message

If you can get sodium hypochlorite - that might work.  Need to be really careful when using it and do not get onto skin or clothes.  Used in Ireland to get moss and such off patio areas.  Farmers would use it to clean out sheds.  It is much more effective than a power hose.  I really don't know where you would get it in Spain or indeed if you can.  I mentioned it to a friend at work and they said it's basically chlorine.  

Like 0      
08 Dec 2011 4:52 PM by SMYTHIE Star rating. 145 posts Send private message

sodium hypoclorite is bleach available anywhere but i doubt is would work i think you may be thinking of sodium hydroxide a rather nesty substance which will remove most anything.

this is available certainly in mercadona and eroski.

beware it is nasty stuff and very dangerous in contact with water or aluminium.

WEAR GLOVES AND GOGGLES!!!!

Like 0      
08 Dec 2011 4:53 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I had a similar problem in that, on the advice of Pinturas Andalusia, I painted the tiles on my terrace (100 sq mtrs) with a ROM waterproofed, to keep it shinny.   It too never really dried so attracted a deposit of dirt.

Reps from ROM and Pinturas Andalucia came several times and supplied various complimentary products but nothing removed the waterproofer. In the end I bought a power washer. It took several applications but eventually it worked.

Like 0      
08 Dec 2011 7:20 PM by philevans Star rating in Axminster Devon & Sa.... 187 posts Send private message

philevans´s avatar

Is there a spanish equivalent to Nitromors??

What you see is what you get 

Like 0      
08 Dec 2011 7:48 PM by steve and anita Star rating in in San Cayetano. 324 posts Send private message

steve and anita´s avatar

How about using a small blow torch and scraper, then paint over where material removed.

Like 0      
13 Dec 2011 8:51 AM by rowantree Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I have tried Agua Fuerte which is Hydrocloric Acid and it didn't work, I tried Disolvente which is like a Nitromors/petrol based substance and it has worked on the tiles but not on the marble rendering. I can't use a blow torch and scraper on the marble render but have tried a wire brush and a scrubbing brush with Disolvente - this has had some effect but not enough to fully remove the coating :(:(:(:(  Suffice to say I am really fed up with the problem as nothing seems to be working.

Today I am going to brush all the marble render with Disolvente and then try the pressure washer - fingers crossed. If all else fails I think I will be painting over the marble render - Thanks again for the ideas and if you have any more please post them

xxx

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Selling house - current values in Mojacar vs 5 years ago? market activity? - 10 posts
Inheritance Tax - 11 posts
non residence tax. - 2 posts
BANCO SABADELL TO BUY CAM BANK FOR ONE EURO - 8 posts
Some Christmas cards - 0 posts
My baby and me! - 0 posts
No surprises then - 0 posts
Local taxes. - 0 posts
Any one do airport runs for a resonable price - 2 posts
posting AGM papers - 13 posts
Bicycle pump - 8 posts
i phones and smartphones - 6 posts
BANKIA - 47 posts
Hi new tonight - 1 posts
Property capital gains tax - 6 posts
TRIPS TO GRANADA - 2 posts
Hello new here - 13 posts
Hello im making a project about spain values and would like to ask few questions - 2 posts
Few questions about spain for student :) thx you! - 0 posts
Few questions about spain for student :) thx you! - 0 posts
Winter Driving Conditions - 3 posts
Newbie from USA - 11 posts
car hire full/full fuel policy - 30 posts
Shop opening Times - 4 posts
I want to sell new 2012 Kymco People GT 300i First Ride - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x