Towing a mini digger from UK to Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Nov 2011 12:00 AM by mumashine Star rating in Near La Serena Golf,.... 27 posts Send private message

mumashine´s avatar

Hello - I did check a previous thread but it doesn't answer my actual question.

If anyone can give me a little information it would be great to hear from you.

I want to take my mini digger to my home in Murcia from the UK.  The digger will only be used on my land as I have building work to carryout.  Once completed in a couple of years I will then probably drive the digger back to the UK

My car has Spanish plates, has an IVA and is insured with Linea Directa - it is my plan to tow my digger on it's trailer through France and down into Spain.

I am the owner and have revelant documentation stating the same.

Can I just drive down or do I require any other documentation or anything else.

Thank you.

Regards, Mumashine

Like 0      
06 Nov 2011 7:08 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

No problem as long as the trailer is spanish registered as well. This means that it has it's own red number plate, in addition to the towing vehicle plate, has up to date road tax & seperate insurance. It's illegal to tow a UK trailer with  a spanish reg. vehicle.


Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
06 Nov 2011 9:43 AM by mumashine Star rating in Near La Serena Golf,.... 27 posts Send private message

mumashine´s avatar

Thank you Guslopez - this may be a difficult one for me the trailer and digger are in the UK and I guess I need to take it somewhere in Spain  like an IVA station to start the process for registration.

I have never seen 'red plates' on any trailers i.e. boats, jetskis etc

So I definately cannot drive my Spanish registered car (land rover discovery) down to Spain with a trailer on the back as it is illegal - is that correct.

Do you know Is there a 'web site' where all this valuable information is listed.

Thanks for your help



Regards, Mumashine

Like 0      
06 Nov 2011 1:04 PM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

It is illegal to tow a foreign registered trailer with a Spanish registered vehicle but your trailer will not be registered will it as they are not registered in the UK  thats a funny situation as you would not be able to put your plate on the trailer. You may get away with it but if you get caught you will lose your car and trailer and get a very large fine.

The previous poster is not quite correct as only trailers over 750 KG Mass Wvehicle weight need to have a Red registration Plate all the rest are registered to the vehicle that is towing them

To have your trailer registered here you will need all the paperwork from the manufacturer IE a certificate of european conformity and proof of ownership then it will have to be matriculated which will cost up to 1400 euros by the ITV station

It realy not worth it I brought a 2 tonne GVW or MAM weight trailer to Spain using a UK vehicle and sold it to someone going back as the cost of getting it legal here was over 2000 Euros.

It would be better for you to get a transport company to tow it down for you  there are a few based round Torrevieja who would do it quite reasonable for you if you PM me I can give you the names



Overseas Property Company

Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      
06 Nov 2011 2:09 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Just use a UK towing vehicle or put your mini digger in any van or lorry passing.



N. Sands

Like 0      
06 Nov 2011 6:51 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Just to clarify. I only addressed the question that the OP asked , rather than cover all the regs . for trailers.

A jet-ski or boat trailer will not need them ,as Fred said ,as they are under the 750 kg limit. They do need registering  though if you are using the trailer for business use. For private use they are covered under your normal road insurance.

Re-registering a 3,1/2 tonne trailer , or one over the 750kg limit , is difficult & it has to be a manufacturer that is homologated for use in Europe. It's not really worth it unless the trailer is worth it , & you are able to be re-registering it as a personal goods & chattels . I:E  within 30 days of your first padron , therefore without payment of any tax. It is possible to do without a certificate of european conformity but

A) you need to know what you are doing B) you need an ITV station that is helpful & C) an engineer that  on  that day  is accomodating & knows the law.

I have re-registered some 750+ trailers & it varies as to who manufactures them . The chassis /Vin number has to be stamped on the left hand chassis rail when viewed standing at the ball -hitch looking back. One manufacturer stamps it ,but not in the correct size ( 8mm or bigger ) unless they know it's going abroad. Ifor Williams don't stamp it on the chassis at all ( they have other , undisclosed ,methods of ID on the trailer ) unless you tell them it's going abroad  or they've manufactured it for export.

If your trailer does not have it's chassis /vin number starting with EC*/   & then followed by 8 or 10 numbers then it's not going to be able to be done at all.

The last Ifor williams that we re-registered for a friend cost 300 euros in total. He took it back to the UK to pick up his mini-digger & on the way back was stopped twice in Spain.


Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
07 Nov 2011 1:35 PM by TP1 Star rating in Milton Keynes and Ca.... 161 posts Send private message

Just buy a cheap UK vehicle and fit a towbar if necessary

Seems like the cheapest / easiest / legalist option.

Like 0      
12 Nov 2011 11:05 PM by mumashine Star rating in Near La Serena Golf,.... 27 posts Send private message

mumashine´s avatar

Hiya guys - many apologies for being a bit slow in coming back...................

Thank you all for your useful advice and comments - really do appreciate your knowledge.

Haven't decided what we will do as yet - but I am sure we will sort sort out something.

Thanks again.



Regards, Mumashine

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

tax iva - 2 posts
cost saving tip when booking flights with the budget airlines - 0 posts
Aer Lingus - 0 posts
How do I find my old posts? and why do I not get email notifications? - 5 posts
Aquagest Estepona - 0 posts
Only have Spanish TV ...But... - 5 posts
Legality for Community AGM's/EGM's - 1 posts
Beware - 1 posts
Paying a speeding Ticket - 20 posts
Health Centre La Cala - 2 posts
endesa - 0 posts
Underbuild - 5 posts
Commonhold and freehold building elements. - 8 posts
Unemloyment in Spain - 5 posts
Hope: we are on the way out - 6 posts
Buying a golf property in murcia - 3 posts
Is there a benefit in being tax resident in Spain - 33 posts
Free UK TV Channels & More on The IPOD, IPAD, IPHONE - 26 posts
Cbeebies on Sat problems - 0 posts
la renta - paying on-line - 1 posts
Booking with Ryanair - 2 posts
Iberdrola article in this weeks Euroweekly News - 2 posts
Can you work on saints days? - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x