GETTING CAR HIRE DEPOSIT BACK

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Nov 2011 12:00 AM by deniseann Star rating. 18 posts Send private message

I have just returned from 2 weeks in Malaga and had a wonderful time

we hired a family car from near the airport and the deposit was paid by my son who was the only one with a visa debit card

during the holiday, we had a puncture due to heavy rain and a mountain track to drive up and down and finding the spare tyre was also flat, and the wheel brace did not fit, we had to be recovered and taken to a garage to blow up tyres

unfortunately, both tyres were beyond repair as were obviously poor tyres before we had the car so we had to buy 2 new ones costing 100 euros

on returning the car we were told we had to pay for one but the other was the car hire firms responsibility, which is fine and was promised the deposit  plus the tyre cost back to my son's account as soon as possible

no money has yet been returned and we have been home a week - no replies to emails from the firm either

they seemed honest and office near airport thought we were okay

what can I do to get my deposit back and the tyre cost/

thanks for advice

Like 0      
03 Nov 2011 10:03 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

If they aren't answering your emails or phone calls I would ask your son's bank to process a "chargeback" on the deposit amount paid.

This will start the process of transferring the money back to your son's account and it's up to the car hire company to prove that you are not owed the money.

I'm sure as soon as you start the chargeback procedure the car hire company will get in touch very quickly

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
03 Nov 2011 6:08 PM by deniseann Star rating. 18 posts Send private message

I got a reply eventually from the car hire firm and they said we paid cash and not by credit card

actually, we paid ther hire in cash and the deposit by my son's visa debit card which they accepted

now they say the money is in office and to send someone to pick it up - oh yeah, we are now back in England and have no family or friends in Spain to do that - being awkward is what they are because they had to refund for one tyre

my son is only 17 and cannot afford to lose this money from his account and neither can we - what can we do ?

Like 0      
03 Nov 2011 8:01 PM by deniseann Star rating. 18 posts Send private message

now they say, they cannot return payment to card that was only used for guarantee even though they said they never take deposit in cash

if we did pay cash for deposit why have we not had it back or any emails from them saying we are owed 200e, they reckon the tyre money 50e is in office and we have to send a messenger to collect it !!

the deposit apparently was paid in cash so they cannot return it to a card - which my sons bank statement disputes as it shows a block for an overseas transaction

so how can we get our deposit back when they are refusing to give back as 'paid in cash' which it was not

will the bank do a chargeback? obviously the tyre money is lost as we cannot afford to pay a messenger to collect it

Like 0      
03 Nov 2011 8:46 PM by John 777 Star rating in West Midlands. 109 posts Send private message

Get your son to speak to his bank and explain the problem and if possible give them copies of the emails you have sent to and rrec'd from the Car Hire firm. It can then be treated as a disputed transaction and with a bit of luck as Justin has said do a charge back for you and credit your son's account.

John

Like 0      
10 Nov 2011 10:27 AM by Sten46 Star rating in Hatton, Derbyshire &.... 243 posts Send private message

C'mon Peeps - EoS is just like a big family community - anyone in Malaga who can go round and pick up the dosh for Denise and pass it on?

Show these shysters that  the Brits aren't always a soft touch!!

Steve.

Steve.

Like 0      
11 Nov 2011 5:51 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

As previously sted, a chargeack is your best line of defence. Make sure you have the initial booking you made, plus the visa receipt you would have got from the processing terminal. The car company may dispute it, but if you have the evidence in black and white thereis nothing they can do.

Mark

Like 0      
12 Nov 2011 7:48 PM by crisco Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

What is the name of the company ? I am frequently in London and Spain. Call me if you like I can pick up deposit and refund via UK bank . Send text with landline  to +44 7973 37 0000  Chris

Like 0      
12 Nov 2011 10:14 PM by Rav4 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hello

I had problems whith payment refunds just get your card company involved they should sort it out

Regards Rav4

This message was last edited by Rav4 on 12/11/2011.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Cbeebies on Sat problems - 0 posts
la renta - paying on-line - 1 posts
Booking with Ryanair - 2 posts
Iberdrola article in this weeks Euroweekly News - 2 posts
Can you work on saints days? - 3 posts
Publication by the planning department of Orihuela. - 0 posts
Car hire from home is it legal - 5 posts
Television - 2 posts
BUYING AND SELLING EXPERIENCES IN SPAIN - 8 posts
Water Deposit risks? - 8 posts
advert not showing after content change to details - 1 posts
Modern style Chests of Drawers for Sale - 0 posts
ROTA Spain Recycling and second hand stores - 2 posts
Water park - 5 posts
The Phantom Airport... or should that be Airports - 4 posts
Scooter For Sale. - 0 posts
Liberated Co-ownership - 14 posts
Car Hire again folks - 3 posts
Extra Buzon for the Correos? - 1 posts
it is not just Spain - 9 posts
Spanish Reg car for sale on Costa del Sol - 0 posts
Please help explain my Iberdrola bill to me - 1 posts
Beat this for a bank robbery - 1 posts
Renting a parcela for commercial use in the summer - what rent? - 0 posts
How long does a bond apply - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x