Recommendations for Buildings and Contents Insurance

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Jul 2011 12:00 AM by kbr88 Star rating. 27 posts Send private message

it seems our premiums have increased by about 12% so we are shopping around. Any recommendations for reliable insurance providers for both contents and buildings . although we live in a large block we still need buildings insurance to cover any damage that might be caused to other properties (eg water leaks).

i would be interested to hear from people who have had a positve experience especially when making a claim--that is truly when it counts!

many thanks

kerry

Like 0      
29 Jul 2011 3:25 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Zurich - excellent on claims. Any problem and they will send someone around in about 1 hour.

Like 0      
29 Jul 2011 3:29 PM by kbr88 Star rating. 27 posts Send private message

is this zurich insurance out of the UK or did you take a policy from zurich in spain? is this for primay residence or holiday let?

Like 0      
29 Jul 2011 3:35 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Zurich Spain - house occupied all year

Like 0      
29 Jul 2011 5:18 PM by El alamillo Star rating in Nottingham & El Alam.... 221 posts Send private message

At the start of this year my renewal came through with about the same increase. From the start back in 2003, I had kept my insurance with my Bank. (Banco Santander).  I mentioned this to a friend and they recommended Home Insurance from Liberty Seguros.
I contacted them at there office in Los Alcazeras. A quote came back at almost €100 less than my Banks renewal.
This included more cover. So I was glad to change to them.
I now pay €295.67 for my Home and contents insurance.
My Property is a 3 double bedroom house with Garage and Pool
Their representative came out to see me personally and arranged the cancellation at the bank and setting up a new direct debit with them.
The Friend that recommended them to me has just had a claim. A water leak in an internal wall. Liberty Seguros sorted this out PDQ with least disruption.
There representative becomes your personal contact and a nice chap too. (Yes Spanish)

I will PM you his contact number

Hope this helps.

I am not an agent only a client and have no financial reward in mentioning them.

Liberty Seguros in Spain is the sister Company of Liberty Mutual in the States. It is positioned at 94th. place in the Fortune 500 richest companies in the world. In Spain they have a specific expat department and insurance designed for expats. This means better policies and better prices.
They can insure any risk, from a Castle, business, lorry, yatch, horse, cat, your home, your car, etc,.

Like 0      
29 Jul 2011 6:29 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

I have a car insured with Liberty Seguros and two other cars with Zurich.

Zurich have better claims handling by a long way!

I meant to switch the Liberty policy over this year but did not have time to sort out so just renewed for another year.

Like 0      
30 Jul 2011 11:25 AM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

We insure with Linea Directa, they beat our banks quote by about 150 euros.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
26 Aug 2011 2:16 PM by mojito Star rating in Cupar Fife / San Jua.... 268 posts Send private message

Is there an insurance company that provides for letting your property for several weeks of the year?  It seems policies are based on residential or owner's holiday use only.

Jo and Jim

Like 0      
26 Aug 2011 2:38 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

With almost all (maybe all) insurance companies it is worth shopping around.  Often a new customer is given a much better quote than an existing one.

A few years ago when I got my renewal quote from Linea Directa for my car insurance I thought it was a bit high. I called them and asked for a quote. I gave a false name but everything else correctly. The quote was 23% less than the renewal I had received. 

When I told them my correct name they said I was being dishonest !!!     Eventually after someone called me back they offered the renewal at the new quote rate. Needless to say I went to another company.

This is just an example. I know after 50 odd years of insuring vehicles, houses etc, they are all the same.

So my advice. Always shop around at least every couple of years.  You will save money.

PS     I know Linea Directa now automatically read the telephone number so they know who is calling them.  So maybe it's a good idea to with hold your number (with telefonica dial   '067'   before the number. (i.e.  067 952 676 *** )  It also works with international calls as well. Useful of calling Sky in UK !!!!!)

This message was last edited by johnzx on 26/08/2011.

Like 0      
26 Aug 2011 3:44 PM by mariabm Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Depends if it is a holiday home or a spanish residential

i have shopped as was an introducer in the uk  around and these are my suggestions

if its spanish residential then liberty seguros

if its a holiday home in spain  i suggest intasure.

if its uk house insurance i suggest the source

pm me if you want contact details for any of these

Like 0      
26 Aug 2011 4:08 PM by Toddie Star rating in Nr Elche Alicante Hu.... 107 posts Send private message

We changed all of our insurances to Easy Insurance (  broker ) and so far have been more than happy.

In February we had and incident with the wife's car where somebody hit it in a car park and drove off, luckily somebody took the registration number of the car involved. We went straight to Easy Insurance and within 12 hours the Traffico Cops had located the owner of the other vechicle, we had instructions to take the car to a local garage and the car was fixed within 3 days of reporting the incident.

Two years ago I had an accident in my car, at the time I was insured with Liberty, it took six weeks to resolve and the broker at the time was as usefull as a chocolate tea pot to put it politely !

We have just had all of our renewal notices for the car's, house and holiday property, all of them are a few euros less than last year !

With the holiday property they can do insurance to cover either holiday lets or long term rentals, I thought the premium was very competitive.

A relative went with Linea Directo and had problems when trying to report an incident, at least with a good broker you can get them to do the work for you.

Like 0      
26 Aug 2011 11:01 PM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar

Has anyone any claims experience with Intasure?

We have used them for years. They are good value and we have not had reason to claim. However when my neighbour had a fire recently we saw how the Spanish assessors work with the community insurer coordinating with the apartment owners insurer and everything was fixed quickly. I am now concerned that I might have problems if I had cause to make a claim as Intrasure are UK based.

David

Like 0      
29 Aug 2011 12:04 PM by kbr88 Star rating. 27 posts Send private message

we had a claim with intasure last year. it wasn't the smoothest process but they did pay out in the end . the issue wasn't whether they would pay out or not, just whether they should have claimed from the other party and moved faster.

you have to be compare policies because a lot of spanish policies are highly restricted. for example if you have buildings insurance with many spanish insurers, they do not include kitchens, bathrooms, heating, air cond etc. this needs to be included as part of contents insurance. in addition many spanish policies have very low levels of public liability.

the intasure policy provides very good coverage. they do have expertise in spain and their policy documentation is in english which is a big advantage. even if you are competnent in spanish, you will find it difficult to work through a typical spanish policy (and google translate doesn't help!)

regards

Like 0      
29 Aug 2011 12:04 PM by kbr88 Star rating. 27 posts Send private message

we had a claim with intasure last year. it wasn't the smoothest process but they did pay out in the end . the issue wasn't whether they would pay out or not, just whether they should have claimed from the other party and moved faster.

you have to be compare policies because a lot of spanish policies are highly restricted. for example if you have buildings insurance with many spanish insurers, they do not include kitchens, bathrooms, heating, air cond etc. this needs to be included as part of contents insurance. in addition many spanish policies have very low levels of public liability.

the intasure policy provides very good coverage. they do have expertise in spain and their policy documentation is in english which is a big advantage. even if you are competnent in spanish, you will find it difficult to work through a typical spanish policy (and google translate doesn't help!)

regards

Like 0      
29 Aug 2011 4:27 PM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar

Thanks - that's good to know

David

Like 0      
16 Aug 2012 9:38 PM by Susanspain Star rating in Mijas, Malaga. 145 posts Send private message

Susanspain´s avatar

I am shopping around for our first home/contents insurance.

I am sort of tied to Linea Directa for this year (as they owe us a refund from unused motor insurance, but they will not simply just pay out - apparently they are not obliged to do so under 'law 10, article xxx')  

So I thought I would use them for our home/contents insurance this year, as they will also refund the money they are holding...

But simpler said than done.

It has been nearly 2 weeks now and they cannot get their act together.

I do know though that they are prepared to match the quote by Liberty Seguros (who from past experience from motor policy I will never touch again!)

I am sure I will get there in the end, but they certainly don't make it easy!!! 

Like 0      
23 Aug 2012 4:37 AM by Susanspain Star rating in Mijas, Malaga. 145 posts Send private message

Susanspain´s avatar

Update.. Have established THROUGH CONSTANT CHASING - that LDirecta will only inusure the property in the 'Owners' name - i.e person on the Escritura.  Although I have 'usofructo' (life long use) and my step daughter (who is the owner) has given full power of attourney to her mother - but LD won't accept that either???

So we are just waiting a week to call up again and do the deal 'on her behalf'.... Johnx - You are right - if you pretend to be a new caller etc they give better rates. I have done this a couple of times and they got P***d with me too ;)

Yet they feel they have the right to jerk us around till kingdom come! 
(As I say we are only going with them as they owe us Eu250 in unused car insurance which we can only get back sooner than later if we use on  another policy!)  

If anyone told you life was simple - they were lying ;) 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Moving To Spain In September - 2 posts
cantabrian anchovies - 2 posts
Satellite Dishes in North West Spain - 2 posts
La Cala de Mijas Feria - 2 posts
For the information of all AIFOS's Creditors - 6 posts
Can i find out when my repposesion hearing will be? - 3 posts
Looking for used large lhd panel van - 0 posts
Car Hire for August - 3 posts
For all ex army guys A look at Irish Special forces - 0 posts
RHD spanish reg audi for sale - 0 posts
Question for Maria - 0 posts
Is Spain the Place to Go? - 8 posts
Buying A Property In Spain - 1 posts
Electrician in the Costa del Sol - 6 posts
The Train in Spain - 0 posts
learning spanish - 3 posts
Advice urgently needed-English trailer in Spain - 6 posts
AGM voting rights - 16 posts
Digital Freeview box - Condado De Alhama - 3 posts
Trains Malaga to Fuengirola. - 1 posts
Statue - 2 posts
Costaluz Lawyers. Just saying thanks seems so inadequate !! - 54 posts
Ga Appliance Inspections - 12 posts
So much for promised PSOE transparency - 1 posts
Account under review - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 17

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x