CGT on bond

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Jun 2011 12:00 AM by shelya Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

hi, I am new to this forum and hope someone can enlighten me.  my husband and myself have been taxed on our pensions jointly for the last couple of years without problem but this year we declared a credit of almost 24 thousand pound to our uk bank acount which was the poceeds of a10 year Phoenix Life bond which matured in 2010.   in the uk in year 2000 we invested 20, 000 pound in this and when we cashed it in we had made 2,711GBP profit over a 10 year period.  which works out at 271 pound per year, less than we would have received in a deposit account.

we have just received figures of tax to be paid from our accountant and this is vastly different from the previous 2 years.  we only have our uk state pensions plus around 5,000 from a private pension/annuity.  he says the increase is due to the payment of 23,000 but is there not an allowance made for the 10 years over which the profit has been made?

also, we sold an apartment in 2009 and deeclared a very large loss and when we presented this years figures our accountant told us that the gain on the bond could be set against this loss as there is a 15 year window in which this loss could be set against any future gains.  does anyone know if this is so?

sorry, very complicated for my first post but I am extremely worried.  many thanks in advance for any help.

many thanks

Like 0      
20 Jun 2011 8:59 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Shelya

Not totally sure but something does not sound quite right here.

It might be you are being taxed on receiving a one off temporary annuity?

Also as regards capital losses I thought they could only be carried forward for 4 only years?

Sometimes investment products in one jurisdiction are treated very differently in another.

If you say where you are based someone could probably recommend an accountant familiar with UK investment products and how there are treated/taxed in Spain.

Like 0      
20 Jun 2011 9:38 PM by shelya Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

hi Faro

thanks for coming back to me so quickly.  as you say, maybe he is treating it as an annuity payment but it definitley was just a rarther poorly prefoming  investment bond. 

I agree that 4 years does sound more feasible than 15 for carrying forward a capital loss, but this would still fit within that timescale if applicable.  I had searched and searched the internet but could not find anything regarding CGT except on property. I should really look on spanish sites but probably won't find much info there.  the worry is that if our accountant has the 15 years incorrect, what else could be wrong.  I can see he might not understand a uk product but the CGT timescale would be a spanish ruling.

we actually  live in malaga province and are resident here.

many thanks once again.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Wanted, pop up beach canopy - 3 posts
ELEC METER - 1 posts
seafood restaurant reccommendations - 0 posts
Trailer wanted just south of Alicante - 0 posts
Seadoo GTX 185hp Supercharged Jetski - 0 posts
ENTIDAD URBANISTICA DE CONSERVACIÓN - 19 posts
Shutters and Cockroaches-Please Help - 8 posts
Directions to the Sunday Zocco market in Costa Blanca - 9 posts
Customized for Golfers - 0 posts
Cycling club in or around Los Alcazares - 0 posts
Pavements being dug in Playa Flamenca - 4 posts
iPlayer to roll out in Westen Europe (at a a cost) - 1 posts
Fluent in spanish? - 2 posts
Ryanair winter flight schedule to murcia? - 6 posts
British government offers hope to property buyers in Spain - 2 posts
Thoughtless neighbour! - 3 posts
Last night we went to Jaans ( if that's how you spell it ) - 2 posts
are lawyers required to keep deposit in special account ? - 3 posts
Wine - 1 posts
HELP PLEASE - 8 posts
ClubstoHire - 0 posts
Spanish qualifications?? - 1 posts
Best Golf Clubs in 2011 ? - 1 posts
estate agent - 0 posts
Days out from Los Acazares - suggestions please - 30 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x