International School in Campo de Gibraltar

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Jun 2011 2:28 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

what about the Jews?

I would say focus on education but by all means teach good Christian values and respect for fellow man etc but not to have the school labelled Roman Catholic.

Unless it is your intention only to admit Roman Catholic or Opus Dei - is that your intention?

Like 0      
15 Jun 2011 2:38 PM by gavinhealy Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

I think the whole essence of what Maria is promoting is respect for others and basic human values for yourself and your fellow man (woman), I haven't come across a school that isn't labled with one religion or the other so I struggle to understand why people have a problem it being called Catholic.

At the end of the day people across the globe will have diferent beliefs around religion, what is vital is that you have the respect for the fact tha others may have different belifs, the problem in many societys is people don't respect or tolerate others hence the conflicts we see across the globe.

Anything that helps remove these barriers. give our children and our childrens children basic human values can only have beneficial long term effects and would certaintly get my vote.

Regards

Gavin.

Like 0      
15 Jun 2011 2:46 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

I agree with what you say Gavin.

" I  think the whole essence of what Maria is promoting is respect for others and basic human values for yourself and your fellow man (woman), "

And after all if Maria is going to found the school I suppose she is entitled to determine its ethos.  No doubt persons of other faiths, or of no particular faith, will feel free to send their children to that school if they think fit. 

Patricia

Like 0      
15 Jun 2011 2:53 PM by gavinhealy Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Patricia,

Thanks and yes your right people, will by and large and yes there are always exceptions will send their children to what they believe is the best school regardless of religion.

Religion is too often used as an excuse to lable groups and either discriminate or exclude them, respect for each other is the key.

Regards

Gavin.

Like 0      
15 Jun 2011 5:11 PM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

It’s all very well saying that we should respect and tolerate different religions and to the extent that religion brings comfort to people, then fair enough. But there have to be limits to that tolerance. I am not going to say it’s ok for Muslim men in Libya to murder their wives or daughters who have been raped by warring factions because the act of being raped brings dishonour to the women and their families and so killing them is an act of kindness. That is happening right now. Anyone want to argue that we should just say that’s ok? All the while that religion does no harm, then fine. But no tax advantages or government subsidies that mean that my taxes and the taxes of other atheists are going to pay for other people's religion.
But my argument was different. A school is a place of learning where we teach our young people to use their brains, develop their intellect and their powers of logical reasoning and argument. Faith has no place in such an environment as faith is the opposite of reason and logic. It’s where you say “there is absolutely no logical reason for believing this, but I am going to believe it anyway because it’s comfortable”.  Try that attitude to Pythagoras' theorem and see how many marks you get.
Einstein has shown how and when the universe was created. Darwin has shown how we evolved to homo sapiens sapiens. God did not create the earth or man. In the USA, creationists are a powerful force who ban the teaching of science as it conflicts with their literal bible belt teachings. Is that what we want?
So by all means let’s all love our neighbours and turn the other cheek and if you want to believe in a sky god then I wish you peace and happiness. But don’t ask me to pay for it and don’t teach it to our young people as if it is true.

Like 0      
15 Jun 2011 5:29 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

If I lived in your area Maria I would want to help with your school. I am not Catholic but I agree with all your values and I also believe they are important life values.

Let us know how this evolves. Best regards.

This message was last edited by Karensun on 15/06/2011.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
15 Jun 2011 6:20 PM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

What!!!

No Father Christmas and no Tooth Fairy.

I don't believe it.

Like 0      
15 Jun 2011 9:07 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

my intention is to admitt  EVERYONE sharing the core values of the school, regardless religious belief. maybe an intereligious school is a better idea,

what do you think?

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
15 Jun 2011 9:25 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Maria, I personally think an 'international' school commucating and endorsing the values that you mention is all that is needed. I don't believe religion has to be mentioned at all, just the values that you wish to promote, teach and abide by.

Maybe as a start, you could look at major employers in the region, possibly companies in Gibraltar, for funding? They may find that there is a level of employee that they cannot attract because of the lack of 'internatonal' schooling and the fact that to put their children in school in Gibraltar would mean having to officially reside in Gibraltar, which may not be an option, economically or otherwise. Further down the line accepting children from 10 years onward may be a very important factor, as this is the age when it is not always desirable to place a child in a Spanish speaking school if it is not their native language (I'm obviously assuming that you may be thinking of an English speaking international school, but may be totally wrong - apologies if so!).

Just some points to consider :). I wish you all the best in your initiative!

Like 0      
15 Jun 2011 10:21 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Thanks Pitby. Thanks a lot.

Again...

who would join?

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
16 Jun 2011 8:43 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar
The philosophy of the school room in one generation will be the philosophy of government in the next.
Abraham Lincoln

Like 0      
17 Jun 2011 1:58 PM by gavinhealy Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Patricia,

Very apt, as many of us agree its about respect anf values teach theese early and it can only be positive now and in the future, the school is a marvelous idea.

Gavin

Like 0      
17 Jun 2011 3:04 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

Thank you, Gavin. 

And as Maria herself said:

"The reason why I think the school needs to have clear indentity and values is because that is what we all need: Lack of those are wiithin the deepest ,real roots  of our current crisis and of every crisis."

I do hope her project prospers.

Patricia

Like 0      
27 Aug 2011 9:52 AM by nckeaston11 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi Maria,

I am a teacher from U.K and I visit friends in Gibraltar regularly. I am contemplating moving to Gibraltar with my 4 year old and was just thinking why there is not an international school in Gibraltar, considering so many english live there!

I would be interested in finding out more about your ideas and if you have had any success with investors or officials.

I have been teaching for 11 years- ages 4 to 9 years (reception to year 3) and currently work in Milton Keynes.

Like 0      
28 Aug 2011 10:42 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

Bumping this up. 

Maria's project sounds like a very good one.

Patricia

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

The Ambassador talking. - 7 posts
Aifos owners face prison (Again) ? - 2 posts
Developers appeal against decision...who knows? - 11 posts
getting license de obra for ibiza villa - 10 posts
How do I close a joint bank account for my mother and late step father - 0 posts
Hot air balooning in Andalucia. Help please. - 1 posts
Another newbie.......... - 5 posts
Reading SOME posters posts lately .. - 3 posts
do i need an nie - 9 posts
Good News For Investors - 0 posts
Los Alcazares bike hire - 4 posts
Bank Fee's please Help - 5 posts
Income tax in Spain - 2 posts
Desperate developer or just creative? - 3 posts
CAR RENTAL EXCESS INSURANCE CHARGES - 6 posts
BREAD FLOUR - 7 posts
Voting and Democracy at Community Meetings - 21 posts
Obtaining a Spanish birth certificate - 10 posts
Another Win For Costaluz Lawyers - 5 posts
Lazy Z Spa hot tub - 2 posts
SEGWAY FOR HIRE - 0 posts
WHERE TO PAY TAXES - 10 posts
Reposession by Cambank - 12 posts
U.K. in Spain - 4 posts
spanish personal tax allowances - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 35

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x