CAR RENTAL EXCESS INSURANCE CHARGES

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Jun 2011 12:00 AM by KERRYB Star rating in Wales & Murcia. 113 posts Send private message

Hi

Just went to book car hire for Murcia airport for two weeks time.

Most car rental companies seem to recommend adding a min 25 euros+ for 'complete peace of mind'.

Does everyone pay this extra?

regards

Kerry

Like 0      
11 Jun 2011 1:07 PM by pintor Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

Hi,  All the car companies seem to want you to take out extra insurance, that used to be 3-6 euros per day depending on company extra, but now say you need extra for windscreen tyres etc. I paid zero options last time and that said you needn,t take extra insurance out when you collected it at the airport, but they still tried to sell more insurancewhen I collected it!. Just another nice little earner that they add

Like 0      
11 Jun 2011 1:49 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Definitely a nice little earner!

I've taken it out every time I hire a car and I've yet to claim on it.

Maybe next time I'll give the car a little knock just to see whether this insurance actually works and is worth it

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
12 Jun 2011 10:03 PM by tech Star rating in Maidstone/Turre when.... 83 posts Send private message

every time I pick up a car at the airport I have a quick look around to check for damage. Once I did go back to mention the scratches etc not shown on the rental agreement only to be told that it doesn't matter as I have taken out the insurance. I don't normaly notice anything strait away but after a few days  a dent appears or on one occasion the back light was broken. When I tell the hire company I'm told not to worry as it's insured. 

My question is what would happen if I didn't take out this insurance? I am sure they would take the money from my credit card, leaving a lot of hasle to sort out later.

The extra payment gives me the piece of mind and lets me sleep better when I'm on holiday. How I look forward to the day that I can purchase my own vehicle in Spain.

Regards.

Tech

Like 0      
14 Jun 2011 1:30 PM by fultond Star rating in Haywards Heath & Tor.... 242 posts Send private message

I do get wound up at the car hire desk when the person in front holds the whole queue up, while they argue for ages that they were told that their insurance was fully inclusive.

My understanding is that the car is insured fully comprehensive, just as your car would be in the UK. The extra insurance covers your excess, lost keys, broken windscreen, punctures, etc.. These are items that would not normally be covered on your insurance, so I do not have a problem with this being offered, even if they are a little pushy. It is your choice to judge whether the cost/benefit ratio is worth paying for. The alternative is leaving a credit card imprint as security.

What I resent is being massively overcharged for the fuel. But to be fair, sometimes I am paying in the region of 10 Euros or less per day's hire, so I suppose they need to try and claw some cash back somehow. I think if the hire package is cheap enough, and the car is adequate, you just need to forget about the minor irritations.

Dave

Like 0      
21 Jun 2011 1:26 AM by Reliant Robin Star rating in Alhaurin Golf, CDS. 19 posts Send private message

We travel to Spain five or six times a year.  We never pay the extra insurance as we have a policy with Insure4carhire.com which covers tyres etc all for the price of £49 per year.  This covers any hire car in Europe. 

Like 0      
21 Jun 2011 9:54 AM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

I,ve taken out an Insurance Policy to cover Excess charges too. For a cost of around £50 It makes sense if you regularly hire cars more than 150 miles from your home. I use it for trips outside of Spain.

We got caught out in Austria a few years ago when we returned the hire car with a small dent in the door. AVIS Europe took all of the Excess Charge €1200 stated in our agreement from our Credit Card. What a RIp Off!! many calls, emails and letters resulted in nothing!

Mike T

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

BREAD FLOUR - 7 posts
Voting and Democracy at Community Meetings - 21 posts
Obtaining a Spanish birth certificate - 10 posts
Another Win For Costaluz Lawyers - 5 posts
Lazy Z Spa hot tub - 2 posts
SEGWAY FOR HIRE - 0 posts
WHERE TO PAY TAXES - 10 posts
Reposession by Cambank - 12 posts
U.K. in Spain - 4 posts
spanish personal tax allowances - 8 posts
How do I contact Ryanair? - 23 posts
buying a car with outstanding taxes and an embargo - 2 posts
Selling a property - 0 posts
Spain Local Guide Marketplace - 0 posts
Death certificate help - 1 posts
Wireless Speaker adaptor for Desktop PC - 0 posts
Illegal Rentals - 6 posts
Setting up a business in Spain / Importing into Spain - 2 posts
The EU - PROTECTING THE RIGHT TO PROPERTY - SEMINAR - 61 posts
French Classic Clock - 4 posts
WINDOW CLEANER - 0 posts
Telefonica 6MB - how to get it? - 4 posts
ADVICE NEEDED TO CHANGE INTERNET PROVIDER - 7 posts
Garden Of Eden ....A Tribute - 4 posts
Leaving a Rental Contract Early in Madrid - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x