BREAD FLOUR

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Jun 2011 12:00 AM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

What flour do I buy to make bread? In England it´s called Strong Flour, but I can´t work it out here

Ta

Irene

Like 0      
11 Jun 2011 4:26 PM by Cove Robert Star rating. 214 posts Send private message

Hi

What is written on the pack? Are there any numbers on it, something like 405 or 550?

Like 0      
11 Jun 2011 5:13 PM by gcarton Star rating. 144 posts Send private message

Best way we found was to go to the local baker and has for "harina". They sell it loose usually by half kilo. Also Upper suprmarket sells it bagged up by the bakery.

Guy

Like 0      
11 Jun 2011 6:51 PM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

If you do that, don't forget to ask for your levadura too.  Without yeast your bread will be pretty inedible.  And ask your local baker how much yeast you need per 100g of flour.

Like 0      
11 Jun 2011 7:37 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

The normal Spanish flour is good for bread making as it is stronger than the normal flour in UK.  You can use Harina Integral for wholewheat bread.  As Jek says, don't forget the levadura, usually in the cold cabinet alongside the butter.

Like 0      
11 Jun 2011 8:05 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

Irene,

I get my flour for my cakes from Lidl...................I don't know if it would be ok for bread tho but it makes really good sponges!!

Iceland sell bread flour but you will pay UK prices plus! You can also buy dried yeast there.

Hope you're going to bring some bread ( and butter ) to bowls to share !!   

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
11 Jun 2011 8:19 PM by ayrez Star rating in La Marina Oasis. 379 posts Send private message

Hi

I use harina fuerza from Mercadona.It costa about 85 cents, much cheaper than Iceland. I mix it 50/50 with ordinary harina de trigo and it works a treat.

Jean

Like 0      
12 Jun 2011 12:12 AM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Hi Everyone

How come the only notification I got that there was activity on this thread was the final one from Jean? I thought nobody cared (ahhhh).

Anyway, I´m off to Mercadona on Monday. We have the yeast.

And, no Karen, I am not cooking anything - Alan does all the cooking and he wants to make a pizza base according to Jamie Oliver.

May bring the segway along though - that would cause a stir! Our president would not be amused would he?

Irene

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Voting and Democracy at Community Meetings - 21 posts
Obtaining a Spanish birth certificate - 10 posts
Another Win For Costaluz Lawyers - 5 posts
Lazy Z Spa hot tub - 2 posts
SEGWAY FOR HIRE - 0 posts
WHERE TO PAY TAXES - 10 posts
Reposession by Cambank - 12 posts
U.K. in Spain - 4 posts
spanish personal tax allowances - 8 posts
How do I contact Ryanair? - 23 posts
buying a car with outstanding taxes and an embargo - 2 posts
Selling a property - 0 posts
Spain Local Guide Marketplace - 0 posts
Death certificate help - 1 posts
Wireless Speaker adaptor for Desktop PC - 0 posts
Illegal Rentals - 6 posts
Setting up a business in Spain / Importing into Spain - 2 posts
The EU - PROTECTING THE RIGHT TO PROPERTY - SEMINAR - 61 posts
French Classic Clock - 4 posts
WINDOW CLEANER - 0 posts
Telefonica 6MB - how to get it? - 4 posts
ADVICE NEEDED TO CHANGE INTERNET PROVIDER - 7 posts
Garden Of Eden ....A Tribute - 4 posts
Leaving a Rental Contract Early in Madrid - 12 posts
New Memeber - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x