Medical help Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Mar 2011 12:00 AM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

I have been resident in Spain since 1994, and live in Mijas-Costa. I have always paid social security until last October, when my ´paro´ or unemployment benefit stopped, after losing my job at Viva Estates in 2007. This year, in January, I had a melanoma removed. I used Xanit Hospital in Benalmadena as I have private health insurance with Medifiat.

I saw an oncologist yesterday at Quiron Hospital in Malaga, and he tells me he would prescribe interferon, which is a type of chemotherapy drug, to be injected at home over the next 12 months. I understand Medifiat will not cover the cost of this, as I will not be hospitalised for the treatment. The drug costs approximately €800 per month, which I cannot afford. The oncologist at private hospital told me he would write a report so I could go to my previous social security doctor for the drug, but I stopped paying into the system last October.

I am now feeling desperate, and I want to know, what rights I have to social security health care in Spain, having paid into the system since 1994? I only stopped paying last October when my unemployment benefit stopped. Am I still entitled to health care? I still have my social security card, but not sure if it is valid any more?

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Amatista

Like 0      
23 Mar 2011 5:09 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

I'd have thought that you are still entitled to healthcare. I'd go & see your national health doctor & expain the situation. If possible get the private doctor to speak to the national health one. From my understanding from people on another site in Many regions of Andalucia everyone is entitled to healthcare , whether they pay in or not.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
24 Mar 2011 9:59 AM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Thanks Gus .. I am going to see doctor today, Jane

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Pre paid Mastercard? - 11 posts
Thai China Calahonda - 3 posts
Long Term Airport Car parking - 2 posts
Spanish Taxes - 9 posts
Date Order of posts - 3 posts
Any plans for easter and suggestions? - 3 posts
Schools in Huercal Overa - 2 posts
Ryanair latest scam - beware Dutch nationals - 41 posts
Anyone been to Melilla? - 7 posts
golf society nr playa flamence/la florida - 3 posts
Property to rent in Residencial el Hipodromo - 0 posts
Looking for Rental Property in Residencial el Hipodromo - 0 posts
Something to look foward to! - 23 posts
kadoodey - 2 posts
ALHAMBRA GRANADA SATVAV ENTRY IN TOMTOM - 6 posts
Hello, hola. New to EOS. - 3 posts
Hello. - 8 posts
furniture and lighting suppliers costa blanca - 6 posts
Literally lost the thread ! - 5 posts
contract required - 5 posts
Metal Hand rail - 0 posts
air strikes - 3 posts
Good body shop, costa del sol? - 4 posts
Community insurance - 1 posts
I Have a 7.5ton Van Returning From Alicante, Spain On 03rd April - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x