Pre paid Mastercard?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Mar 2011 12:00 AM by camille Star rating in West Yorkshire & Her.... 121 posts Send private message

camille´s avatar

I've JUST learnt (a bit slow, I agree!!!) how to avoid booking charges on Ryanair flights

These charges annoy the hell out of me everytime I book, my husband has started leaving the room when I'm booking to avoid the oncoming rant  at the computer screen lol!

My question is are there different types & if so which is the best to get? It will only really be used to book flights.

Thanks x

Like 0      
23 Mar 2011 8:59 AM by gcarton Star rating. 144 posts Send private message

Have you looked at the Escape card

http://www.ezpayltd.co.uk/escape/

Guy

Like 0      
23 Mar 2011 11:35 AM by steve647 Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

seems like a good idea if you have a UK address???

Like 0      
23 Mar 2011 11:46 AM by Hammersfan Star rating in Body in Essex, Heart.... 160 posts Send private message

Also try FairFX (search google). I have one of these cards and it's saved me a fortune

Like 0      
23 Mar 2011 11:50 AM by mojito Star rating in Cupar Fife / San Jua.... 268 posts Send private message

We've been using the Bread Prepaid Mastercard.  It costs £7.50 initially but it saves so much when booking flights.  You need to load enough money into your account at least 24 hours before booking your flights.  We see it as a challenge to beat Michael's extra charges.  Last night we managed to book 2 return flights to Murcia for a total of £76.  A bargain!

Jo and Jim

Like 0      
23 Mar 2011 11:58 AM by mikelord Star rating in Roda. 148 posts Send private message

We have a CaxtonFx (euro) card & a FairFX (sterling) card, both work well. Finally got the sterling card after using the euro card to book flights on Ryanair (in sterling) and Ryanair used an exchange rate of 1.28 when the bank rate was about 1.17 - another con!

Go to the moneysavingexpert website for an overvew of different cards.

Mike

Michael Lord

www.HealthandBeautyAbroad.com

Like 0      
23 Mar 2011 5:12 PM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

Mike - I use a sterling Escape prepaid Mastercard to book my Ryanair flights UK - Spain returns.  But I never book a return.  I always book it as two singles because the Spain - UK leg is then charged in euros and I often save a fiver or more on their conversion rate compared with the sterling price for the return leg.

Like 0      
23 Mar 2011 5:41 PM by clondalkin Star rating. 29 posts Send private message

hi does anyone know if u can get one of these cards in ireland thanks mags x

Like 0      
23 Mar 2011 9:46 PM by wrixonshea Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

Hi Mags

I recently started to use RUBY CARD - its a prepaid MASTERCARD.

The initial fee is €12.95, there is annual Government stamp duty of €2.50

There is No monthly fee. Purchases 2.95% (min 75c, max €2.00) in Ireland, 2.95% (min 75c, max €2.00) abroad. ATM withdrawals €2 in Ireland and €3.50 per withdrawal abroad.

I lodge money to the account over the internet banking, it is much cheaper this way. it costs €1.00 to lodge any amount

Ruby card purchases cost €2.00 max. therefore Ryanair return  tickets cost me only €2.00 , as against €20 for 2 using laser of credit card. To date I have made 4 separate bookings up to September with Ryanair for this year, and no ryanair fees for using laser or credit card

Check Rubycard.ie

Wrixon

Like 0      
23 Mar 2011 9:58 PM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

Wrixon, you are paying through the nose.  Escape prepaid is £10 initially and no transaction charge on purchases.  So booking Ryanair costs absolutely nada.

clondalkin, try Moneybookers.  Same deal as Escape - €10 initial and nothing extra on booking Ryanair.  Available in Ireland.  See http://g.moneybookers.com/mastercard/ie/

Like 0      
24 Mar 2011 12:50 AM by BigAl Star rating. 86 posts Send private message

BigAl´s avatar

The escape mastercard can be obtained online or if you are in a hurry, pop in to the phones4u shop and pickup one straight away. They will register it for you in the shop and you can load it with money immediately (no charge).

regards,

Allan

Like 0      
24 Mar 2011 7:42 AM by camille Star rating in West Yorkshire & Her.... 121 posts Send private message

camille´s avatar

Thanks guys looks like Escape card is the better option. Can get the card £9.99 but if I top up £100 in the first 90 days I get the £9.99 back on the card, It's free to use international ATM &  free for all internet & shop purchases. Seems a good deal!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Thai China Calahonda - 3 posts
Long Term Airport Car parking - 2 posts
Spanish Taxes - 9 posts
Date Order of posts - 3 posts
Any plans for easter and suggestions? - 3 posts
Schools in Huercal Overa - 2 posts
Ryanair latest scam - beware Dutch nationals - 41 posts
Anyone been to Melilla? - 7 posts
golf society nr playa flamence/la florida - 3 posts
Property to rent in Residencial el Hipodromo - 0 posts
Looking for Rental Property in Residencial el Hipodromo - 0 posts
Something to look foward to! - 23 posts
kadoodey - 2 posts
ALHAMBRA GRANADA SATVAV ENTRY IN TOMTOM - 6 posts
Hello, hola. New to EOS. - 3 posts
Hello. - 8 posts
furniture and lighting suppliers costa blanca - 6 posts
Literally lost the thread ! - 5 posts
contract required - 5 posts
Metal Hand rail - 0 posts
air strikes - 3 posts
Good body shop, costa del sol? - 4 posts
Community insurance - 1 posts
I Have a 7.5ton Van Returning From Alicante, Spain On 03rd April - 1 posts
Number of Vice Presidents? - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x