confused about freeview, freesat, hd etc

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Mar 2011 12:00 AM by jackt Star rating. 41 posts Send private message

Hi, Please forgive these questions as I know that a lot has been written about tvs here in spain. I am however confused.

May I ask advice please. I am about to purchase from the uk a Sony flat screen hd with built in "freeview". My current tv is connected to the community dish and I have a sky box and receive free to view.. These are my questions.

1, Will the built in freeview tuner work here in spain from the community dish.

2 Will "freesat" work here in spain  from the community dish.

3 Can I get the uk hd channels in spain.

4 If freeview or freesat will work do I still need a box.

I welcome advice please as I don`t want to buy an expensive tv only to find that the "extras" won`t work.Thanks Jack.

Like 0      
19 Mar 2011 12:41 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

May I ask advice please. I am about to purchase from the uk a Sony flat screen hd with built in "freeview". My current tv is connected to the community dish and I have a sky box and receive free to view.. These are my questions.

1, Will the built in freeview tuner work here in spain from the community dish.

Your  built in Freeview tuner will work from and aerial, not the dish.  TDT in Spain is the equivalent of UK Freeview and does not come from a satellite therefore you won't pick them up that way.  You need to simply plug your aerial socket into the telly and, bingo, TDT.

2 Will "freesat" work here in spain  from the community dish.

If you have a freesat tuner it does what it says on the tin. It will pick up the free satellite channels provided the community dish is set up.

3 Can I get the uk hd channels in spain.

Yes.  See answer to 2.  If you have a HD box, of course.

4 If freeview or freesat will work do I still need a box.

No.  If they are both built into your TV then they do the same job as a box.

I welcome advice please as I don`t want to buy an expensive tv only to find that the "extras" won`t work.Thanks Jack.

I have TV with built in Freeview and it picks up Spanish TDT channels no problems.  For the Freesat channels, I need a box because I don't have Freesat built into my TV.  If you have both then you are OK but they are different systems.

Like 0      
19 Mar 2011 12:48 AM by jackt Star rating. 41 posts Send private message

Thanks bobaol very grateful for the info....Jack

Like 0      
24 Mar 2011 9:25 AM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

Terminology can be confusing:

You can get "free to air"  channels that require NO viewing card at all - channels like BBC, ITV. These can be received on Sky, Freesat or other  "free to air" receivers.

You can get "free to view" channels that require a viewing card but no monthly payments - a freesatfromsky card ( sometimes incorrectly called a "freesat card"  - you dont need a card for Freesat!) one off payment..channel like Fiver, Five USA, and only available on Sky boxes.

Freeview is the UK ONLY tv service whose channels are available via a TV aerial. You cannot get Freeview in Spain, as the terrestrial transmissions do not reach this far. Spain has its Freeview equivilent of TDT.

Freesat is the name of a service / box / software that allows access to the UK free to air channels.

Technically speaking, you cannot get Freesat on a Sky box as the Freesat box uses Freesat software and a Sky box uses Sky software, hoever, you can receive most channels that are on Freesat on a Sky box.

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
24 Mar 2011 11:46 AM by gerrycon Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hey man.  Just make sure the integrated TDT receiver on the telly is HD otherwise you´re goosed unless you buy a separate HD TDT box and no doubt that will cost about €90 (plus IVA).   There is a fair few free HD channels on Spanish TDT-  Canal Sur 2,  Antennae 3, LA Sexta-  watching the 10pm live footie game on a Saturday evening on HD is amazing, Telecinco an dno doubt others in the pipeline.

Like 0      
24 Mar 2011 5:36 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

Many areas have Telecico HD already...

check tdt1.com, and see whats on in your area

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
24 Mar 2011 7:10 PM by neilgolf Star rating in Camposol-Mazarron. W.... 1 posts Send private message

Good Evening,

First time post , so please excuse the ignorance of my comments. I have recently purchased a property on 'Camposol' as a holiday home. I would like to watch some 'English' channels while on holiday. Am I right in assuming that if I purchase a 'FREESAT' box in the UK have my dish realigned to Astra 2D (currently I can only pick up German channels)  I would then be able to pick up English speaking channels.

I am sure that the answers to my questions have been well documented already but I seem to have lots of 'senior' moments and cannot find the answer in simple terms.

Thank you in anticipation.

Neil

Like 0      
24 Mar 2011 7:19 PM by jackt Star rating. 41 posts Send private message

Thanks guys for all the info. I now know which route to take. Jack

Like 0      
24 Mar 2011 7:24 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

....and another question for Satandpcguy, if you wouldn't mind: a friend has just bought a DVD recorder, but has found he cannot record one channel from his Freesat, whilst watching another. He's been told he needs a second LNB / cable and a second Freesat box or something......explain?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
24 Mar 2011 8:36 PM by Berno Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hi,

I had 'Free to Air' installed in the Fuengirola area last Autumn for a once-off payment which gives all the BBC & ITV (TV and Radio) stations (including all the various regional stations of each). Also available are Irish radio stations but not TV stations. The satellite box was supplied by the installer but are also available in any of the local electrical stores at a very reasonable price. I believe the dish was already installed on the roof of the complex - so it was just a matter of connecting to that. Signals are from the Astra satellite.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Still Impressed by the Spanish Health System? - 24 posts
part exchange property - 1 posts
Tax on El Hacho area - 3 posts
Airport Transfer legalities?? - 22 posts
SKY/Freesat & Broadband - 2 posts
Legal lookie lookie men? - 6 posts
Blogs - 3 posts
Libya: What lousy timing - 40 posts
Dacion: any advice? - 6 posts
Time Capsules - 2 posts
Cheap flights? - 2 posts
Help needed re European Enforcement Order - 34 posts
Looking for a leaflet company - 3 posts
Guardamar to Tabarca Island - 5 posts
non resident tax - 7 posts
Dickmanns Car Hire Alicante Airport - 3 posts
spain and the law - 0 posts
moving to spain - 1 posts
Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig oraibh Happy St Patricks Day - 1 posts
Insurance for phase 2 on Terrazas - 1 posts
Help Spanish banks have gone crazy!!!!!!! - 6 posts
Y net - 7 posts
do you know advantage car hire - 20 posts
diesel additive - 3 posts
old house has never had a Habitation Certifictae - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x