Can't find Hotels near motorways in Spain?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Feb 2011 12:00 AM by rc888 Star rating in Kent. 5 posts Send private message

Hi Guys,

This is my first post, so please be gentle. I am driving to the south of Spain (Almunecar) for the first time in March from the UK and going via Alicante to see a friend for Lunch. We're planning to drive down the A7/AP-7 and are looking for an overnight stop about halfway between Tarragona and Valencia. I've spent ages looking on all of the major hotel booking sites but none have details of cheap (£30 - £40), clean hotels close to the motorway. Most seem to be at least 4 or 5 miles away and a good deal more expensive.

I have driven in France for many years, where you'll find a good road-side hotel providing a clean room, shower and breakfast just about anywhere (Etap, Formula 1, ACE and Ibis etc) - but I can't find any chains like these operating in this part of Spain. Do they exist? If any of you guys know a good one in the area could you let me know?

I know there are lots of posts on here about driving down through Spain but most seem to cover route choices rather than finding a good overnight stop.

Thanks.

Ray

Like 0      
24 Feb 2011 7:59 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

The chains such as those you mentioned aren't big in Spain, but there are loads of independent "hostals"  absolutely everywhere, usually right on the main roads. Rooms for 30 euros are easy to find, and these places always have good, cheap food too. Just take pot luck - the best kept secrets are always the ones you stumble upon by accident. Just don't make the mistake I always do - if you see a decent looking place at 4pm, STOP! I always say to my co-driver (SWMBO) "there's bound to be another one a bit further on" - and then end up having a huge row and finally stopping at some god-forsaken flea pit at half past eleven, after the restaurant has closed. Stop early, have a good rest and chill out, then up early and onwards.

¡Buen viaje!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
24 Feb 2011 8:34 PM by gcarton Star rating. 144 posts Send private message

Try ACCOR group - French. they own IBIS, B&B etc. We usually stop at IBIS Valencia - Bonaire close to AP7. Its in a commercial centre with good evening meal alternatives. Book 30 days in advance for a deal. Usually around 49 Euros.

Guy

Like 0      
24 Feb 2011 9:23 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Use Via Michelin

Put in your route, selecting a mid-way stop point, and when you get your map and directions, tick the 'Include Hotels' icon on the top left.

Then just zoom on on your mid-way stop point, and look for a suitable hotel to stop at.

Once you've selected your hotel, re-do your journey, this time using the hotel as the mid-way stop point.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
24 Feb 2011 10:03 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

I'm with Roberto on this one. I drive up and down through France at least twice a year and am always disappointed with hotels compared with Spain. In France you come across clusters of hotels on the outskirts of towns. All very plastic and few good. For example,  few budget hotels (50-70 euro) have aircon. In Spain, roadside hotels and hostals are everywhere, each with their own character, bar and restaurant...quite unlike boil in the bag French hotel chain restaurants (Campanile, Ibis, Confort, Kyriad, etc).

btw There are all kinds of hotels just off the road at Castellon & Benicassim between Tarragona & Valencia

Like 0      
24 Feb 2011 10:46 PM by rc888 Star rating in Kent. 5 posts Send private message

Thanks Guys,

Roberto, I like your idea of just leaving to chance but are these Hostals likely to be just on the Autopista AP-7 or will I need to get onto more minor roads to find them?

Regards.

Like 0      
24 Feb 2011 11:20 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Long time since I've been down the coast the way you're going, so can't say for sure. You're not going to find them on toll roads or major autopistas, but on the old roads that probably still run more or less alongside. Just looking at Google maps, I can see the old A7 appears to run alongside the AP7 south of Tarragona. I'd get on that road and see what turns up. But even if you're on the autopista, there are usually signposts for accomodation and food.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
24 Feb 2011 11:37 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

By the way, on your onward journey, when you get south of Lorca, head for Granada - don't take the coast road (N340), it's a bitch. Much quicker and easier via Granada, and the road down from Granada (which is pretty scenic if I remember rightly) will bring you almost directly to Almuñecar.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
25 Feb 2011 7:38 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Roberto's quite right re ; the top motorway to granada , plus It's got a far better surface as it doesn't get the abuse from the articulated lorries that the bottom ( coast road) motorway does.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
07 Mar 2011 1:16 AM by collinsfamily Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hello, I'm new to this!  I'm planning a road trip this summer from Dover to Cadiz, via  Bezier, Gerona and possibly  the Valencia region.

We have 12 and 5 yr old children.  We are very familiar with driving through France and staying in hotel chains such as Formula 1, Villages Hotels, B&B Hotels etc - cheap and functional!  We have no idea about equivalent hotels in Spain.

Can anyone offer me any advice?

Like 0      
07 Mar 2011 1:16 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

You need to be careful with hotels next to motorways in Spain.  Quite a few of them are actually brothels!!

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
07 Mar 2011 1:39 PM by collinsfamily Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

thanks for that - We'll bear it in mind!

Like 0      
07 Mar 2011 1:52 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Good advice there form Sanchez1!

You don't really tend to get "services" hotels here in Spain.  Most people use "pensiones" or hostals when travelling.

If you want to stay in Madrid or Barelona you could try a Travelodge.  We stayed in the one in Madrid and it was very good.

Enjoy your road trip.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
07 Mar 2011 8:09 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

If you can't tell the difference between hostals and "clubs", you probably shouldn't be let loose on the roads at all. But if you really need to know, the "clubs" will most probably not be open until late at night, will have bright neon lights flashing on their rooftops, and will be unlikely to offer a menu del dia. The only places where the distinction may be blurred are hostals on or near industrial estates (poligonos) but the heavy goods vehicles lined up outside should give a clue. Actually, La Jonquera, just across the French / Spanish border, from what I remember, has a certain frontier town edginess to it, full of parked up trucks, roadside wenches and liquor stores - and last time I was there, I had the best entrecote steak ever, followed by a great night's sleep in a clean comfortable room, all for about 35 euros. Extras not included  

Mark Twain

Like 0      
07 Mar 2011 9:20 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Roberto,

Not all of them are called "clubs", with flashing neon lights.  There's a famous one called Los Lagos Hotel on the road in to Algeciras.  It does just look like a normal hotel, but it's a brothel.  So I'm told anyway!

It's very popular with the Gibraltarians apparently.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
07 Mar 2011 9:50 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

I know I heard the gibraltarians pile in by the bus load literally.

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
07 Mar 2011 10:47 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Brothels, Clubs....

Call them what you will...and they are clearly signposted before you get anywhere near them!

However, as the OP is looking for Hotels near Motorways, might I take this chance to reiterate my earlier post...

Just use Via Michelin, input your journey and then select the map.

Then click on add Hotels and zoom into the area where you are thinking of stopping.

Can't be any simpler than that!

And they are 'Hotels'.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
08 Mar 2011 9:04 AM by moggy Star rating. 58 posts Send private message

I think you may find they are called  VENTAS in Spain which I think means roadside inn.We certainly have some on the motorways in the Murcia region and they usually offer very good value food as the restaurants are  very busy with the lorry drivers.

Maureen.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Public Liability Insurance for Building Company - 3 posts
BLUE MED PROPERTIES - 28 posts
internet in rental house - 3 posts
FOR SALE Callway golf clubs x14 pro series rifle shafts and ping putter and taylor made driver and more clubs and bags all for !!!30 euros!!! - 2 posts
Selling UK Registered Car In Spain - 9 posts
trish - 4 posts
Cedula's - anyone out there know about them? - 0 posts
Beer at 16 cents per can - 0 posts
Transport from UK required - 0 posts
Our fantastic UK MEP'S?? - 41 posts
Hello from Madrid - 0 posts
Estate Agent Jokes !! - 1 posts
LORDS REMOVALS/TRANSPORT ON CAMPASOL - 2 posts
Do you think sterling is deliberately being kept low against the Euro - 7 posts
Unpaid Community Fees - 19 posts
mobile disco usage & wedding dresses - 0 posts
FS xbox 360 - 0 posts
Denuncia for speeding - 15 posts
Legal Spanish Ice cream business for sale - 0 posts
can't phone endesa from uk - please help! - 11 posts
Looking for a second hand clothes shop that buys clothes or comission - 0 posts
could anybody help please with the whereabouts of Wayne Stoneman. Many Thanks - 1 posts
BMW 645 ci reduced by 5k, NOW 15K, bag yourself a bargain, it must go!!!!! - 0 posts
Terrace furniture - 15 posts
Rental in caniles with cats - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 18

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x