Denuncia for speeding

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Feb 2011 12:00 AM by Mutu Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

I have just received a denuncia for speeding in April 2010. It was dated 9th August 2010 and I received it by normal post today 23rd Feb 2011!!  It says I have 15 days to pay from 9/8/2010. So, this date has long gone, does anyone know if it will be collected through my next Suma or indeed what will happen next?

Like 0      
22 Feb 2011 7:02 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Seems you have to pay it at the post office (correos) or a main bank. Being late you'll incur extra charges.

It took me ages to locate this thread since the search system has changed  (I hate it!!)

I did eventually find it .... but I knew what I wanted, seen it many times.

There are links in that thread that take you to other threads on same topic.

Please read it! (And DON'T speed again! )

Like 0      
22 Feb 2011 7:32 PM by ayrez Star rating in La Marina Oasis. 379 posts Send private message

You will need to get an up to date bill as interest will have been added since last year. You will not be able to pay with the bill you have.

If you are in Spain try a visit to your local Suma office and they should be able to give you a revised bill.  You will need your NIE number.

If you are in Uk you will either have to wait until your next visit or perhaps you know someone who can visit Suma on your behalf. They will also need your NIE number.

Jean

Like 0      
23 Feb 2011 10:07 AM by delza Star rating. 77 posts Send private message

I remember when I got my speeding ticket a couple of years ago it was a trip to the post office or bank to pay it.

However, last summer my brother was out visiting and got a ticket with his hire car and it was sent to his UK address (recorded delivery btw) and we didn't know how to get it paid for him.

Anyway, long story short  all the info you need to pay it online can be found here: tinyurl.com/6d2jyk7

Key factors are you can pay them online now even without an NIE and there are some good screen captures of how to do it also.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2011 1:20 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Does anyone know what happens if you don't pay your speeding fine?  Does it stay with the car?  So only an issue if/when you sell it?

Or is the money taken via your tax return if tou don't pay voluntarily?

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
28 Feb 2011 10:38 AM by delza Star rating. 77 posts Send private message

It stays with the car but if you're stopped by the police you will have a lot of explaining to do and from what I gather the fine goes up after a period of non payment.

Seeing as Spain has cottoned onto how much money can be made out of speeding fines and random stop/checks the chances of being stopped are much more these days and since last year they have little PDA systems with them that can pull the details up in an instant.

Like 0      
28 Feb 2011 12:07 PM by rash29 Star rating in Hurchillo, Orihuela.. 77 posts Send private message

rash29´s avatar

Hi

I would recommend you to get an updated bill from Suma asap, you will have alot of interest on there by now. When my Husband had one he didn't pay it as soon as he got it and it went up by about 40€. That was within a 2 months time frame. You could explain to Suma that you only got the letter now. Maybe then the interest will be waived.

Like 0      
28 Feb 2011 1:40 PM by Popeyesol Star rating in Lubrin. 9 posts Send private message

If you don´t pay the fine they will look for a way to get the money.  They will eventually put the debt onto your bank account if you have one so that the money is taken from there or fihally put the debt on the car if that is not successful and you would then have to clear that debt (if selling the car)before you could legally transfer it to the new owner.

Like 0      
28 Feb 2011 4:12 PM by rash29 Star rating in Hurchillo, Orihuela.. 77 posts Send private message

rash29´s avatar

Yes I agree with you. Even if you have unpaid Suma bills, they find out your bank account and take the money automatically. There is no messing about with Suma! They are well on top of their game!

Like 0      
28 Feb 2011 4:58 PM by Mutu Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

The address on my matricula (log book) bears no relation to where I live  (different area code as well) which is where the fine notifications were originally sent and the address on my fine again is not the same AND is different to my car Suma so how i actually received the fine after 11 months is a mystery, any ideas how I sort that one out?

Like 0      
01 Mar 2011 12:45 AM by kathym Star rating in Oliva, Valencia. 22 posts Send private message

Mutu, if you have an NIE and are on the Padron at your address they can trace you.

Kathy

Like 0      
01 Mar 2011 10:10 AM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

If you own a Spanish plated car, you have a NIE.  They will find you through your bank.  If you don't pay, they will, after a while, simply take the money from any Spanish bank account you may have.  Same if you hire a car in Spain and give your NIE.  If you hire a car and don't give a NIE they will trace you through the address and licence number given at the time of hire.  So they can trace you to the address last registered with DVLA.  Same if you are driving a UK-plated car.

Like 0      
02 Mar 2011 9:09 PM by popeyesol Star rating in Lubrin. 9 posts Send private message

Mutu, have you tried paying the bill you have through your bank? Is it a lot of dosh?

Incidentaly your NIE number is also your VAT number if you have a business as well as your tax number - the only different number in Spain is your Social Security number - but that SS card will have the NIE number on it as well - the NIE is usually the first thing they ask you for in any transaction - that'd be how they tracked you down - by something you did where you had to give your NIE number and address recently (presuming you have a NIE)

I've heard that you have to get a NIE number even if you are non resident and own a property here, even if  you have owned it for years and before these new rules came in - and that silly little green A4 paper bit now also has to be obtained and tucked into your passport even if you are non resident - can anyone confirm that?   

Like 0      
02 Mar 2011 11:42 PM by stanleymiguel Star rating in Kensington London UK. 15 posts Send private message

Last time my wife and i visited Spain we were stopped at the Airport and taken to a small room where two policemen showed a speeding fine we had from 9 mths previously we had to pay 390 euros to be released or face a judge in the morning

We duly paid but still to this day we are still upset about the whole incident

Stan

Like 0      
03 Mar 2011 7:25 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Popeyesol wrote;

"I've heard that you have to get a NIE number even if you are non resident and own a property here, even if  you have owned it for years and before these new rules came in - and that silly little green A4 paper bit now also has to be obtained and tucked into your passport even if you are non resident - can anyone confirm that?   "

Yes to purchase you need an NIE number, whether resident or non-resident.  Yes, you are supposed to carry your passport no, but no one with any sense does. If they want I.D. then they get my spanish driving licence which has all the info . on including NIE number plus photo. The green piece of paper is notrequired to be carried as it states on it that it does not constitute identification of the person named.It is just to confirm that you are legally registered.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
03 Mar 2011 1:07 PM by popeyesol Star rating in Lubrin. 9 posts Send private message

I don't have a spanish driving license yet (one of the things on my 'to do' list) so I carry a reduced and plasticised copy of my passport - seems to be accepted more or less anywhere - I've never tried it on the Guardia at one of their regular controls, but they have taken my UK  license without any concerns, and didn't ask for the passport.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Legal Spanish Ice cream business for sale - 0 posts
can't phone endesa from uk - please help! - 11 posts
Looking for a second hand clothes shop that buys clothes or comission - 0 posts
could anybody help please with the whereabouts of Wayne Stoneman. Many Thanks - 1 posts
BMW 645 ci reduced by 5k, NOW 15K, bag yourself a bargain, it must go!!!!! - 0 posts
Terrace furniture - 15 posts
Rental in caniles with cats - 2 posts
Hi all - 5 posts
Directions to Ardales - 1 posts
Pet Insurance? - 11 posts
Overseas Keys San Javier - 16 posts
Internet Providers - 0 posts
Air con units - 1 posts
Daily Mail Scaremongering? - 49 posts
Cementfor sale €1.50 per bag - 0 posts
Honest solicitor - 0 posts
moving - 0 posts
Community: BANK ACCOUNT - 6 posts
Not having the best holiday - 27 posts
WANTED - Long Term Let - La Nucia / Polop / Alfaz del Pi - 2 posts
Hotel/Motel outside Madrid - 2 posts
We want to buy a satellite dish - 0 posts
Healthcare Experience - 4 posts
Am I liable to pay taxes - 0 posts
Legal taxi transfers based at Villa Martin - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x