Funerals in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Feb 2011 12:00 AM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Hi, as morbid a subject as this is, but I need to find out more about burial in Spain.

Can anyone tell me the procedure when someone dies in Spain, if they have no repatriation cover. I was told you would have to pay for each additional night the body is in the mortuary and also there are time limits on burials and cremations. What is the cost of this?

Many Thanks,

Amatista

Like 0      
05 Feb 2011 12:33 AM by jayce Star rating. 80 posts Send private message

I know all about funerals in Spain as my father died last year. However my Spanish speaking son did help me out, he phoned someone and they came and confirmed death and gave us a piece of paper. Next you find a funeral company and they come within an hour or so, they go through everything with you, choice of coffin, flowers etc. They do all the paper work including registering the death with the Consulate etc. They then take the body. They also informed the local 'Vicar' and he contacted me regarding the service. Price....quite expensive, basic cremation including everything 4,700 euros. This was in Marbella. After the event I discovered it can be done less expensive approx 2500 + The cremation doesn't have to take place within 24 hours like the Spanish way, a week later is fine which allows people to get flights etc. If the death is unexpected I believe you have to phone the Guardia first. I have heard that If the person who dies wishes to leave their body to the hospital, I think they arrange everything at no cost, but this would need checking out as this may not be true. You could then have a memorial service instead.

Like 0      
06 Feb 2011 11:09 AM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Thank you very much

Like 0      
11 Feb 2011 3:55 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

We have arranged a funeral insurance plan through Tony Smith, the English Funeral Director.  He covers Murcia, Costa Blanca South and Almeria.  Most Spanish families have funeral insurance apparently, so they don't have to pay out a large sum of money when a family member dies.

We are paying extra for Tony to make all the arrangements, as although we speak some Spanish I suspect that when the time comes the surviving partner will be a bit stressed to say the least!  It includes repatriation if required, plus keeping the body for 5 days in the mortuary, etc.  He has given us a card which has a 24 hour phone number, and instructions in both English and Spanish.  He also has contact numbers for our next of kin in the UK.  Check the link above for full details. 

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
11 Feb 2011 4:40 PM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Thanks for your help

Like 0      
11 Feb 2011 6:39 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

is this an insurance backed policy?

Like 0      
11 Feb 2011 7:43 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Yes.  The payments are obviously based on your age, so our friend who has just turned 40 pays less than 6€ a month, whereas I pay over 15€ as I am 63.  I may end up paying a lot more overall if I live to a grand old age - but that won't bother me!

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
11 Feb 2011 7:50 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

So the insurance goes up every year is that right Sue?  

So this just covers Costa Blanca?

Pat 

Like 0      
11 Feb 2011 8:20 PM by haydngj Star rating in ALGORFA. 403 posts Send private message

haydngj´s avatar

I paid about £3000 one off payment and that covers all your needs, I have one contact number and they see to all the rest. It also covers if the death occurs in the uk or anywhere in Spain.it is long established u.k insurance company,and the money is held in a seperate account and cannot be used by them for anything other than the funerals

Like 0      
11 Feb 2011 8:36 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Thanks for that! Although we are insured I have   not done anything about funeral arrangements. Something I should be looking into.

That is ineresting it covers UK as well.

Pat

Like 0      
12 Feb 2011 12:46 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

This being Spain and mostly unregulated I would encourage all to carefully read small print and make sure it is underwritten by  tier 1 insurance company and note all conditions/exclusiuons ......

Otherwise you may find on many years to come no one comes .......

Like 0      
12 Feb 2011 7:04 PM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

I thought the same Faro .... what if the nice funeral director has done a bunk when your nearest and dearest has just popped off.

Like 0      
25 Jan 2013 9:48 AM by YFinsurance Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

** EDITED - Advertising-Against forum rules **

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 25/01/2013.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Wanted "Weight training equipment" - 0 posts
Taking new ps3 from uk - 4 posts
Entered on Official Boletin - what happens next? - 0 posts
"L" Shape Lounger (Settee) - 2 posts
drains - 4 posts
House in Cartama, Coin Alhaurin area - 0 posts
Non-resident cert processing? Help - 2 posts
Certificate of Registration of the EU - 17 posts
Residencia renewals - 9 posts
"Corvera Airport" any news?? - 3 posts
management agency problem help please - 8 posts
car hire - 14 posts
NIE MADE EASY - 7 posts
And they claim men can't multitask! ;-) - 3 posts
Bratley & Sharp Associates - Spanish litigation experts? - 14 posts
Looking for short/long term rental costa del sol from May 2011 - 12 posts
Handing back your property - 13 posts
Unprofessional Property Rental Agents – A Generalisation - 8 posts
Murcia Bank - 2 posts
Long Term Rental Mijas Costa - 3 posts
can we get english channels via sky or freeview for one off fee and no monthly fees?? - 3 posts
euibor - 5 posts
texting from spain to uk - 5 posts
Getting a few bits back from Arriate - 0 posts
Rental - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x