Still easy to get bar/restaurant work in Gibraltar?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Jan 2011 12:00 AM by laurataylor83 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi everyone,

I am looking to move to La Linea in April with my brother to get work in Gibraltar - basically i used to live there 9 years ago for 6 months a work in a restaurant in Gib. We are both UK citizens and i was just wondering if anybody knows roughly what wages are paid now for bar/restaurant work in gibraltar and how much a crappy 2 bed apartment would cost in La Linea - somewhere nearish the beach! I currently live in Nepal where i have aquired 3 street dogs and would do anything to avoid the 6 month UK quarrentine - hence living in Spain - working in Gib.  we will be moving in April and would just like to find out if it is still as easy to get bar/ restaurant work as it was all them years ago.  I am 27, my brother 30. What are the wages like?  Still cash in hand.  Also, my brother has experience working in customer service for vodafone and i have experience working in adsales in publishing (magazines).  We both prefer the happy-go-lucky work of bars, meeting and greeting etc. and love the beach life (i know the beaches arent amazing but as long as there is sun,sand,sea and a frisbee we are happy.  we want to save some money for a busines venture but have time, we live very frugally - providing we can both eat and my dogs (3) can eat we are happy :-)

Please let me know if anyone has recent experience or info on this, and also cost of living in La Linea - it used to be so cheap.  Just a 2 bed apartment would do us nicely!

Thanks in advance

Laura

Like 0      
16 Feb 2011 6:56 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Hi Laura

Sorry that I can't help with your main query, although with high unemployment in Spain at the moment, I suspect that it won't  be easy to find work.

I noticed your comment about your dogs (how are you planning to bring them to Spain, by the way?) and thought it worth pasting this information which I found on the Hot Dog Holidays website:

For traveling with noncommercial kept dogs and cats from other countries to a EU member state more or less the same rules apply.

• To travel from Norway, Switzerland, Iceland, Andorra, Liechtenstein, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican City to a EU member state the same rules apply as travel between member states.
  • If a dog or cat from a country where rabies exists, it is obligatory to have proof that your pet does not have rabies by means of a blood test that has been done at least 3 months before departure. This tests only needs to be done once, provided that the dog or cat is vaccinated each year after that.
  • For a dog or cat from a country where rabies exists to Ireland, Sweden and the UK the quarantine period of 6 months is still obligatory.
  • If an animal goes on holiday from the EU to a country where rabies exists, the animal needs to undergo a blood test before departure. This ensures that the required blood test to get back into the EU country is done on time.

Hopefully someone who know the work situation in Gib will post information for you.

Good luck!

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
16 Feb 2011 8:55 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Laura Hi,

Like Suemac I cannot answer your main question about work.

Here is a link to a property for rent agency website, pisos.net

3 dogs in a 2 bedroomed apartment?

Nearly as bad as me with 5 in a 2 bed house!

Good Luck

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Orihuela Medieval Market - 3 posts
Building Insurance - 1 posts
Elviria or La Reserva - 4 posts
Almost ready to move to Spain (trial run) - 8 posts
3 Seater Sofa Bed for Sale - 0 posts
Mountain bike, barbecue, etc for sale - 3 posts
Gas Fire For Sale - 0 posts
Office Furniture For sale - 0 posts
Writing for Stage & Screen - 0 posts
IBADROLA NIGHT AND DAY UNITS - 6 posts
Computing business for sale - 0 posts
Lawyer in Costa Blanca South - 5 posts
LOOKING FOR ´SWAP´´ MY PLACE IN TENERIFE FOR CATALONIA JUN-AUG 2011 - 0 posts
Car-buy in UK or Spain - 3 posts
6 Month let required.. From June 2011 - 6 posts
rental prices - 3 posts
Rescue dog centres close to Playa Flamenca - 2 posts
Sambuca Thai on Sabinillas Paseo, Manilva area - 3 posts
AIDS - 0 posts
Are you having problems getting a mortgage? - 4 posts
Are People Willfully Blind? - 3 posts
Spouse of EU Citizen - Do I need marriage cert issued in EU country? - 6 posts
Is this for real - 1 posts
For Sale Ford Puma (English) - 2 posts
info on spain - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x