Legal notification

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Jan 2011 12:00 AM by Lewie Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hello everybody, I've just joined!

I am a non-resdent owner of a 1-bed apartment in Estepona. The only debt is 600 euros community charge. The administrators now say they put in a legal claim for this December 1st 2010 (which is probably why the buyers I was agreeing terms with suddenly pulled out). I had told the administrators last November that I was selling and would clear the debt.

As I understand it, the Spanish court would send any documents to the Estepona address.  I haven't been able to get down there fo over a year , so I had no indication of this and was denied 10 days to respond. I don’t want an embargo since I am still hoping to sell.

Surely, as a matter of natural justice, I should be notified of legal action wherever I am. I can’t afford a lawyer so I'm stumped how to find out how far legal proceedings have gone.

Any ideas anyone?

Like 0      
08 Jan 2011 6:03 PM by Goldie Star rating. 154 posts Send private message

Hi Lewie, Yes all notifications will go to the Estepona address I dont think legal things would have gone to far, could you not clear the debt now as with the property you would have to pay elec/water ibi-suma unless your on builders supply. you could always set up a direct debit to pay your community fees. or at the very least make arrangements with the administrator or the presidente of the community with a payment plan if you cannot pay this debt the last thing you need is to have an embargo placed on your property. I am not sure but with regards to court papers you would have to sign for this at the correo/post office.

Like 0      
08 Jan 2011 6:19 PM by Lewie Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Thank you, Goldie.  You're right , the debt has to be cleared and proposing a payment plan is the best idea.  On other threads Faro has pointed out how long Spanish legal matters take so I shouldn't panic.  Never thought about having to sign for the document.  I imagine that would be the case, so thanks again.

Like 0      
08 Jan 2011 6:28 PM by Goldie Star rating. 154 posts Send private message

Lewie, if the documents are not signed for they get returned to the court what happens next i dont  no, possibly action taken without further notice?

Hope you get things sorted out

Like 0      
08 Jan 2011 10:02 PM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

Lewie, you say "Surely, as a matter of natural justice, I should be notified of legal action wherever I am." But think about it.  How are they going to know where on earth you are???  And what a lovely way for people less scrupulously honest than you to avoid legal consequences.

In Spain you have a legal domicile address and that is your flat inEstepona and all legal documents will be sent there.  If you do not pick them up, that's your fault.  Legally, you will be deemed to have recieved them and the courts will proceed on the basis that the administrators have done all that could be reasonably expected of them.

Don't rely on slow Spanish courts.  First, there are emergency procedures; and second, interest will accrue on the debt at quite punitive rates.  And once you are embargoed, it will cost you to go through the process of getting the embargo lifted.

If you are only talking €600 of liability, then get in touch with the community administrators and ask for payment details (their bank account details) and get the money transferred.  Or suggest staged payments to them.  Doing nothing is a seriously bad option.

Good luck!

Like 0      
09 Jan 2011 1:27 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Ask the President/ Administrator... you may able to settle and avoid legal fees being imposed on you.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
09 Jan 2011 7:19 PM by Lewie Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Thanks for your advice, Maria. That is exactly what I am going to do.   

Like 0      
10 Jan 2011 7:39 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Keep us posted.

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
10 Jan 2011 1:09 PM by noddy Star rating. 150 posts Send private message

Jek, what do you mean by emergency procedures.

On our community we have cases 3 years old and debtors nearly up to 10,000e. Estepona court cannot cope. As president I would love to get Embargoes put on but am told it is unlikely.

nick

Like 0      
10 Jan 2011 5:06 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

Even if there is an embargo on the property this does not stop you from selling, all that happens is that the buyer checks if there is any outstanding debts on the property and retains the amount of the debt from the purchase price and pays the debt.

Joan

Like 0      
11 Jan 2011 6:18 PM by Lewie Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

I didn't clarify before that I didn't expect Spanish court jurisdiction to find me in the UK but, as Jek says, "the courts will proceed on the basis that the administrators have done all that could be reasonably expected of them". Well, I only just found out that action had been taken when I queried the figures of the administrators and they sent me an updated account including a 76 euro charge for the debt claim on December 1st. They, of course, have my UK address as well as email but I wouldn't even know now if I hadn't contacted them.

In the meantime, there is considerable argument going on in the community about the charges. The current administrators wrangled with their predecessors for years to get up-to-date financial information from them. They finally got "the book" last February although no recalculation seems to have happened. While this was going on they have been using coefficients from even earlier and now some owners are taking legal action against the community about these. I guess every community has its problems.

For me, I just want to pay what they ask and look for another buyer. I've contacted the President about the debt, to which I can now add another trimester and interest, and hopefully will be able to sort out the best plan for payment.

Thank you all for your help and advice. I'll keep you posted. 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

LANDROVER FREELANDER TD4 2001 - 0 posts
England forever - 7 posts
For Sale - Seat Arosa 1.4i Auto - 5 posts
Health care in UK for returning expats - 12 posts
college/ apprenticeships - 3 posts
crime in general - 3 posts
car swap - 3 posts
Flu - any better in Spain - 2 posts
Please could yo help us in locating Wayne Stoneman - 2 posts
Baad Parrot - 1 posts
Any Dog Friendly Hotels - Santander to Alicante ?? - 19 posts
How to get from Malaga station to Cathedral area - 1 posts
Small website for rental property - 2 posts
Experianced bar/resturant manager seeks work - 0 posts
Hello! - 4 posts
Information on El Raso, Guardamar Costa Blanca - 1 posts
Good News - 6 posts
Business Directory Error - 1 posts
Solar water heaters - 13 posts
Benalmadena wi fi connection - 2 posts
Los Tres Reyes Magos - 2 posts
The president of lawyers for collaboration to improve Justice - 0 posts
Smoking Ban - 2 posts
Time to swap your Nationwide account - 43 posts
Newbees - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x