Online shopping in Spain - does it work?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Dec 2010 12:00 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

To me it would seem this does not work for 2 reasons:-

1. Most places will not take credit cards

2. Delivery costs are excessive

This week I was looking for some IT kit and I found some sites will not even allow you to order online.

You have to go to the shop in person and pay a deposit in cash (not credit card) and they will order and then you collect when it comes in and you pay the balance in cash.

The price is good and the shop helpful so that's what I did.

But just interested to hear how others find online shopping in Spain if used at all.

Spanish people do not find this unusual at all but to me it highlights a different way of doing business.

Like 0      
22 Dec 2010 2:48 PM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

I have bought IT stuff from PCComponentes and found them just the same as in the UK for online shopping and delivery was next day and they took credit cards

Fred

Overseas Property Company

fred@overseaspropertycompany.com

Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      
22 Dec 2010 3:01 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

I have also bought IT kit in the past from pixmania and office stuff from Viking

But on cost I'm finding local shops better because I can also get discount.

My posting was more of an observation that online is maybe not the best in Spain and I actually find the customer service in these shop outlets quite good and that can be a benefit.

But for anyone thinking of setting up an online business marketing to Spanish then you might have to consider the need for a retail outlet for those that do not like online.

Spanish people seem to enjoy joing a queue for the benefit of personal service.

Like 0      
22 Dec 2010 3:34 PM by gcarton Star rating. 144 posts Send private message

We recently ordered some Nespresso coffee online. Choices were to pay "COD" with free delivery over a certain amount, or more usefully for us to a local Kiala store, and you could pay with credit card in advance. Electronic tracking and text to say goods have arrived. It worked and yes were were surpirsed.

Guy

Like 0      
22 Dec 2010 4:10 PM by spiritofspain Star rating in Riviera del Sol, Mij.... 114 posts Send private message

spiritofspain´s avatar

I have used Amazon many times now and, so far, not been disappointed. Quite the opposite in fact with delivery times very short.

Margery

www.losarqueros.iowners.net  and www.calahondapark.iowners.net

Like 0      
22 Dec 2010 7:46 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

We have also used Amazon a few times and have been pleased with the service.  We ordered some books and a Wii game for a friend's daughter last week.  We ordered on 12th, our package was picked up on 13th and it was delivered here on 17th.  We could track the order online, which was very helpful.

I have also ordered clothes from Wallis: ideal for me as I need petite sizes, which so far I have only found in El Corte Ingles (and they aren't cheap!) Although they are sent through the normal postal service rather than by courier, again I have been happy with the service.  A friend of mine has just ordered a coat from M & S - I will try and remember to ask her how good the service was.

Sue 

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
11 Jan 2011 3:48 AM by soodmall Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

if  you want to buy clothes and shoes, where do you prefer to go shopping? online or market?

Like 0      
11 Jan 2011 8:16 AM by Rocketman Star rating. 43 posts Send private message

Rocketman´s avatar

www.laplazaspain.com is a very good website to use to find out who deliveres to Spain.

When you are in "La Plaza" if you put your cursor over the store it will give you the delivery cost to Spain and the UK.

I did most of my Christmas shopping on Amazon this year,  I think children's toys are very expensive here, if you choose items with the Free Super Delivery option, delivery is free for £25 and over and delivery was very quick.

I did try shopping at Asda/George, as a man with a van the I know was coming over, but if I reserved in store or arranged for delivery to a UK address I could not pay without a UK card and post code. So if anyone knows Mr or Mrs Asda could they could put in a word for me as I would like to shop for good priced clothes and toys, I would be very greatful!

Caroline

Like 0      
24 Jan 2011 5:27 AM by soodmall Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

are there any other websites for shopping? and what is the result? does it work well?

Like 0      
24 Jan 2011 12:30 PM by amep75 Star rating. 79 posts Send private message

argos have a spanish web site dlivery 9.95 euro whatever you buy prices about same as uk

web site argosspain.co.uk i think

Like 0      
25 Jan 2011 10:03 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

I recently order a playstaion game for "The Hut" and it arrived within about 7 days all for a 99p delivery charge. All in it was about a 1/3 of the price compared to Game in Myramar, Fuengirola. Problem is trying to tell kids they must wait 7 days for a game!!!

But I started this thread out of surprise how difficult it was to do online transactions with Spanish business either becuase of costs of delivery or simply becuase the transaction could not be completed online and it was necessary to go to some shop and pay a EUR20 deposit and then call back and collect item and pay full price once delivered to shop.

It would seem we now have more UK businesses willing to deliver to Spain without high deliver costs which has also been an obstacle in the past.

Like 0      
25 Jan 2011 10:12 AM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

My friend Lesley ordered a jacket from M & S, which arrived a week later, and she was very pleased with it.  I use Wallis online, as they do a petite range (so do M & S, but they seem more expensive!) and they are always sending me offers, so I tend to order when I can get free postage so long as I spend 30 pounds, or when there is a sale on.  A friend of mine who lives in Australia gave me the name of a UK website who do free delivery worldwide and don't charge postage.  I have ordered some books but I am still waiting for them, so will give further details when I receive them.  I thought they would have arrived by now but we haven't seen the postlady recently, so maybe she is away!!!

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

The bank will not pay Community fees it owes on apartments it owns - 9 posts
car transport / recovery - 0 posts
Indoor swimming pool - 4 posts
villa rental prices - 7 posts
What are lawyers doing to address the delays in the Justice Administration System? - 56 posts
PJ's Car Hire - 4 posts
RECOMMENDED OIL CENTRAL HEATING ENGINEERS IN LOS ALCAZARES AREA - 0 posts
Bank Charges in Spain where can I find a list? - 12 posts
Iberdrola Web Site - 4 posts
1.8 metre satalite dish wanted - 7 posts
What does our Prime Minister do ? ? - 2 posts
winter arrived~ - 2 posts
hello,friends! - 1 posts
1.8 metre satalite dish wanted - 1 posts
Freesat tv - 2 posts
We're moving to Spain! - 4 posts
Wanted Wardrobe & Chest of Drawers - 0 posts
NIE form required for long term rental? - 11 posts
Maria de Castro in the Wall Street Journal - 4 posts
Instructions on Completing NIE Form - 8 posts
This might be of interest - 11 posts
Euribor on the rise - 0 posts
Brittany ferries discount - 27 posts
Bristol to Alicante & Murcia flights up to Oct 27th 2011 - 0 posts
TDT HD Not Working - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x