We're moving to Spain!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Dec 2010 12:00 AM by annabananna Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Howdy,

My husband and I will be moving to Spain in March from Australia. We aren't sure where exactly we will settle yet, just flying by the seat of our pants! Luckily, Tom has a British passport. 

He is a chiropractor, and I'm a Chinese Medicine practitioner (acupuncture + herbs). We were hoping to settle in an area with lots of English-speaking expats, so we can continue to work while we take Spanish classes. Any suggestions? 

I'm so glad we found this website, cos everyone has been a great help so far.

Anna

Like 0      
17 Dec 2010 11:34 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Welcome Anna.  Is this your first foray into Spain or have you been here before?  And whereabouts in Australia are you from?  I lived in Victoria (Melbourne) and then S Australia (Near Mt Gambier) a long time ago.

You will be spoiled for choice with expat communities if you move to the Costas.  Our village (which they call a city) has a majority of expats and the majority of those are British although it does still maintain its Spanish identity, especially with the concept of mañana! I hope you find what you are looking for.  There are many helpful people on this site and I think you will get a lot of help from it.  I wish that I had found it a long time ago.

Like 0      
17 Dec 2010 11:43 PM by annabananna Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Wow, what a coinkydink! Tom and I are also from Melbourne (Frankston and Sunbury), and moved to Mt Gambier for work at the start of 2010. The good ol Blue Lake. It has been far too quiet for us out here, hence the decision to move somewhere exciting! Have you been living there long?

We have only visited Spain once before. 

Like 0      
18 Dec 2010 12:26 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

We've had a property in Spain for about 8 years now.  We originally had a flat which we used a holiday home.  We bought a house a couple of years ago to retire to and I took early retirement in April and we now spend half our time in Spain and half in UK.  

In Australia, after moving from Melbourne, we moved to Mt Gambier itself and then to Kalangadoo (about 27 miles away) for my Dad's work.  

We love the life in Spain.  The way of life takes a bit of getting used to as the pace is quite slow.  The Spaniards seem to work on a different clock to us and we often find them going out for dinner just as we are heading home after a night out.  Although the main shops now open right through the day (big supermarkets and shopping malls), a lot of shops still close for siesta from around 1:30 to 4 or 4:30.  A lot of the offices and businesses also do that and they work 8:30 to 1:30 and 4:30 to 8 or even later.  In Torrevieja, a town about 10 km from us, they have a street of bars which we always thought were closed down as we never saw them open.  It was only after being here a while we realised they didn't even open until nearly midnight! 

Our "village" is Ciudad Quesada on the Costa Blanca.  It is getting bigger all the time and we would probably now call it a town in UK.  It has many restaurants and bars on the main street with several commercial centres dotted around the place containing some large supermarkets and other businesses.  We absolutely love it and adore the way of life.  We have marvellous neighbours, of many different nationalities (mainly North European but some from Iceland and Russia) as well as Spanish.  I always feel so relaxed here (and did even before I retired).  My wife has suffered from arthritis for some years but it just melts away here in Spain.  We are very close to the large salt lakes in the area and this (apparently) makes it a very healthy area to live in.  I know that my son-in-law, who has asthma, always feels a lot better when he comes and visits us.  We certainly feel a lot healthier in this area and I believe it has added years to our lives.  We keep ourselves busy by tending the garden (bouganvillea, jasmine, hibiscus plus several types of palm and cactus) which tends to get out of control if not looked after, walking through the nature park which is quite close to us and chewing the fat with the neighbours.  We have an excellent swimming pool complex in the community which is ideal during the summer months.  Our diet in Spain is certainly a lot healthier and we tend to buy most of our fruit and veg from the local markets.  I guess you would call them organic in another country and they certainly taste more superior to those we buy in the supermarkets and are certainly larger..  Of course, the Spanish wine is also excellent and I have yet to find a bad one.  

Spain is not as cheap as it used to be for us (our pound has not done very well over the last 3 or 4 years) but we still find it cheaper than UK.  Electrical goods are about the same as UK but furniture tends to be more expensive.  We shipped most of our belongings out from UK.  

All in all, we really enjoy our life in Spain.  It is going through problems of its own at the moment but we do like the people and their way of life.  Speaking the language is a great plus and the Spanish really appreciate it when you talk to them in their own lingo, although I can't understand a word they are saying to each other as they talk Valencian around this area.  There are many dialects and, in some cases, totally different languages like Catalan, Mallorquin, Basque etc but they will speak to you in Castillian Spanish if you address them in that way.

I hope you enjoy your time in Spain.  Make the most of it while you are here and mix in with the locals as well as the expats. 

Like 0      
20 Dec 2010 12:48 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Hi Anna.  I love chirpractors!  As someone who constantly has to visit one it's a profession I'd love to have gotten into.

Anyway, we are on the Costa del Sol.  Plenty of expats around here.  I know there are several chirpractors (not sure about Chinese Medical practitioners though) around these parts, especially around the Marbella area.

There is a huge expat community around Mijas Costa so possible one to consider.  Same goes for Benalamdena and Fuengirola areas.

Anyway, best of luck with your new adventure.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Wanted Wardrobe & Chest of Drawers - 0 posts
NIE form required for long term rental? - 11 posts
Maria de Castro in the Wall Street Journal - 4 posts
Instructions on Completing NIE Form - 8 posts
This might be of interest - 11 posts
Euribor on the rise - 0 posts
Brittany ferries discount - 27 posts
Bristol to Alicante & Murcia flights up to Oct 27th 2011 - 0 posts
TDT HD Not Working - 5 posts
Zapa-Blair-O approves Electricity price increase... - 4 posts
EYE on Spain webcam - 16 posts
Malaga to Seville - 3 posts
Scam Warning - 2 posts
Have a Great Christmas Everyone - 20 posts
Watch out for retired people - 4 posts
Car hire at Murcia San Javier - 3 posts
Parking at Murcia San Javier - 3 posts
Ocean View Properties - 2 posts
El Gordo - 3 posts
The Retreat - Alicante - 0 posts
Girls Football Teams - 3 posts
Contract Law in Spain - 77 posts
Scooter for sale - 0 posts
Endesa vs Iberdrola? - 3 posts
Restaurant Internships in Spain? - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x