Prepaid Cards

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Dec 2010 12:00 AM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Hi

Now anyone who knows me will confirm that I am not a financial expert, so I am hoping there is one out there who can help me.

I want to get one of these prepaid credit cards to avoid Ryanair fees, but every one I´ve found on the internet say I have to be a UK resident. Is there an organisation that accepts Spanish residents? If there are choices, what´s the best?

Thanks folks

Irene

Like 0      
05 Dec 2010 10:34 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hi Irene

I haven't yet seen this typye of card being offered by any Spanish providors although the Halifax now Lloyds did issue visa electron cards with their accounts, these could be used to book flights without charges on Ryanair, this may have changed now though.

I think any UK institution will insist that you are a UK resident to apply for the card, they will certainly want a Uk address, I have a Caxton pre paid euro card that I got a couple of years back and I have just kept it going, I wouldn't be without it, it's a great product.

See here for your Ryanair info from Caxton

http://www.caxtonfxcard.com/ryanair.asp?dist=CAXTGENL

s

Like 0      
05 Dec 2010 10:40 AM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Ryanair have stopped allowing the use of Electron cards for free. I´ve actually followed the Moneybookers link on EOS and signed up. I just hope they are legit and my money´s safe! (Justin take note!!!)

Irene

Like 0      
05 Dec 2010 10:51 AM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

Hi Irene & Alan

I have used Moneybookers for years and never had a problem they are very fast to transfer money into your bank account i have no complaintsThey will even transfer into Paypal

Fred

Overseas Property Company

fred@overseaspropertycompany.com

Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      
05 Dec 2010 12:28 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Irene and Alan...

The answer to your question is actually running as a sidebar advert on this forum thread...

Moneybookers do a prepaid Mastercard which would appear to meet your needs ie no UK address...

Here is a link in case the advert disappears...

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
05 Dec 2010 12:45 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

05 Dec 2010 1:56 PM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

Moneybookers are registered with the FSA in UK

Fred

Overseas Property Company

fred@overseaspropertycompany.com

Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      
05 Dec 2010 2:40 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

I surpose it is good if all you want it for is to save when booking with Ryanair, but the annual fee of 10 euros and  more importantly the 1-80 charge every time you go to a ATM means it's a no go for me.

s

Like 0      
05 Dec 2010 3:16 PM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

IATA rules say all airlines must offer at least one payment method that is free of charge.  Ryanair have been charging for Visa Electron since the beginning of the year.  Prepaid Mastercard is now their freebie.  Visa Electron remains the freebie for Easyjet.

You are ahead with the Moneybookers card first time you book a round trip with Ryanair.  No brainer if you fly more than once with Ryanair.

Like 0      
05 Dec 2010 3:19 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

I´m only going to use the card for airline tickets, and I have two holidays to book x 6 people each time, therefore that would have cost an extra 60€, so the membership fee will be recouped six fold.

Irene

Like 0      
05 Dec 2010 7:35 PM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

Try neteller.com. I opened the card last year and there are no charges if you use the card every year or so. I've only used it to avoid Ryanair fees and not had a problem. Not sure about the address but I think it is an american card. Good luck Kevin

Like 0      
04 Jan 2011 7:06 PM by Andrew.S Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

The Net+ Prepaid MasterCard® by NETELLER is a convenient and free way to book flights on Ryanair and because it is recognized by Ryanair as a "MasterCard Prepaid", the 5 EUR administration fee will be waived.

As an added bonus, you will be entered into a draw to win 50 EUR each time you purchase a flight on Ryanair with your Net+ Prepaid MasterCard between now and January 31.

Like 0      
04 Jan 2011 11:33 PM by Hammersfan Star rating in Body in Essex, Heart.... 160 posts Send private message

I have just ordered a pre-paid mastercard from Fair FX. (www.fairfx.com) It was free, although there is a small charge each time I use it. (cant remember if it is 1.5% or £1.50), but with my average pair of flights costing around £100, it's probably much of a muchness

I will only use it to book ryanair flights, and my plan is to

• choose the flights in the usual way on the ryanair site and find out the total cost (without the booking fee)
  • load up the pre-paid mastercard online with the amount required plus say £2..which I am told is immediate
  • complete the ryanair booking using the pre-paid card

that way I don't have any unused cash laying around on the pre-paid MC (my account gets debited at around the same time as it would had I used my Debit card to pay ryanair directly), and instead of £20  ryanair booking fees I pay £1.50 to fair fx. Which given that I want to book another 8 sets of flights for this year, is a considerable saving. (8 X £18.50 = £148)

This is all theoretical at the moment, when the card turns up I'll give it a whirl and let you know

Like 0      
05 Jan 2011 8:20 AM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

I chose Moneybookers in the end. Got the card and used it. Saved 60€ because I was booking for six peoople!!!!! I don´t suppose it will be long before Ryanair plug this hole as well though.

Irene

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Sales in Spain - 1 posts
How do I get the best out of my orange tree? - 11 posts
House damage from the rain, help! - 1 posts
Sky Digibox Pace DV3 - 0 posts
How do I fill out the 'Declaracion de Residencia Fiscal' form? - 1 posts
Christmas Fair and Party - 4 posts
Hacienda Marina, Benalmadina, developed by AIFOS - 0 posts
Wall heaters - 27 posts
Zaragoza - 2 posts
Very Long Holiday Weekend - Shops Shut? - 8 posts
Why Banks do not react? - 5 posts
Spanish ATC Strike - 1 posts
Need to get to Bank in Benidorm - 1 posts
Orphanages in Malaga - 1 posts
Life's like that.. - 2 posts
smoking ban - 250 posts
Halifax/Lloyds takeover - 25 posts
HELP FIND NATACHA - Disappeared in Marbella 1st Dec 7PM - 4 posts
Strike Action Over Xmas - 1 posts
Two years in Spain! - 4 posts
Qatar to host the 2022 World Cup - 7 posts
Russia to host 2018 World Cup - 2 posts
Expensive UK - 17 posts
Insurance for Bicycles - 2 posts
The end of the €425 unemployment benefit - 11 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x