Should i see the mortgage deed before completion?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Nov 2010 12:00 AM by david & ellie Star rating. 82 posts Send private message

I sent an email to my spanish lawyer today asking for a details or a copy of the mortgage deed.  I was told that a copy would be provided on completion!  Is this normal?  From my point of view, I'd like to have an idea of what mortgage terms I was expected to complete on...

Like 0      
24 Nov 2010 12:45 AM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

You should know precisely what the terms of the mortgage are.  Most banks will print off a schedule of details including amount of the loan; term; rate of interest including details of any first year offers; monthly repayments and so on.  But it is not reasonable to ask for sight of the deeds before completion.  The deeds take the form of a second notarised escritura which will be lodged with the Property Registry along with thenotarised escritura for the purchase of the property.  The mortgage escritura will be drafted by the bank's solicitors quite close to completion.

Like 0      
24 Nov 2010 8:38 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
24 Nov 2010 10:57 AM by sharonw Star rating in Coin, Malaga. 281 posts Send private message

sharonw´s avatar

Hi david & ellie,

It is imperative that you obtain from your lawyer, bank or broker the mortgage conditions before you sign; Unfortunately not all lenders will issue a formal binding offer for you to review and sign acceptance of, but at the very least they must inform you of the conditions.

Regards

Sharon

sharon@tmasspain.com

www.themortgageservicegroup.com

Like 0      
24 Nov 2010 12:44 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Either you or your lawyer should and check very carefully it is in line with what you were told. It's not unusual for bank to try to change terms at last minute.

Last week a Spanish buyer asked the notary's clerk for a copy of the mortgage deed a day before signing and the clerk said no. When I asked why the answer was becuase it was 50+ pages and too big to email. I still don't understand why with email it makes any difference? Of course it depends whose notary it is and the bank and buyer had agreed to use seller's notary even though they have the right to chose notary. Of course the other problem is the deed is never finalised until just before signing which is why there is so much faffing around and sitting in notaries offices and that always bugs me.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Furniture restorer needed - Malaga Province or south Cadiz - 4 posts
WAECO Portable Fridge/Freezer -17'C - 0 posts
English website for Hondon valley - 0 posts
Christmas Menu at Charo, Formentera del Segura - 0 posts
Mortgage Information - 8 posts
Electricity - changing over to dual rate - 5 posts
Dog Kennel in andalusia - 1 posts
Community payments - who decides how much? - 7 posts
what's it like at christmas - 6 posts
Alldays Supermarket in Algorfa - 1 posts
voting in Spain - 1 posts
Anyone found a digital camera between Cabopino and la Cala? - reward - 0 posts
What phone and Internet provider is the best - 11 posts
Is a NIE necessary? - 6 posts
memory foam mattresses - 13 posts
Swiss army knife - 2 posts
Does anyone ask their lawyer to do the utilities connection - 14 posts
dacion en pago - 6 posts
Where to buy furniture - 3 posts
Christmas in La Cala Hills, Nr Mijas - 6 posts
Royal Engagement Facebook Fail - 1 posts
Who sells Gazebo's - 4 posts
Car washing - 3 posts
Iams Dog Food - 4 posts
Just booked a flight from Leeds Bradford to Murcia - March Ryanair - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x