Capital gains tax

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Jul 2010 12:00 AM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Good morning,

A simple question (if you understand these things). I have a property worth 100,000 (on escritura although I paid more). If this property sells for 200,000, how much capital gains tax will I have to pay? I am a resident, but isn´t the tax now 16% for residents and non-residents. Also I haven´t paid tax for 12 months as I am no longer working, so will this affect the capital gains tax I have to pay? I understand there is a retention of between 3-5% of sale price of the property at the notary but this would work out at much less than 16% of the profit (on a 100,000 return), so  how exactly does it work?

Also, how much would I expect to pay for an ´abogado´ etc. Total costs without estate agent and capital gains tax? Thanks,

Amatista

Like 0      
26 Jul 2010 11:45 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

There are various deductions allowable, such as the initial purchase costs (notary, land registry, transfer tax etc.) so that will help reduce your total liability. The retention at the notary only applies to non-residents, since residents should declare their capital gains as part of their annual tax declaration - even if you are not working now, you should still do one, even if it's a zero declaration. A gestor will charge maybe €50 to do this for you, and can advise you in more detail about capital gains tax. You will need to do an annual declaration anyway in order to obtain a certificate of fiscal residency from hacienda, which you will need to present to the notary in order to avoid the retention in the first place.

Not too sure what the second part of your question means; do you mean how much will an abogado charge to handle the sale of your property? If so, that would depend I suppose on what exactly you want them to do. What do you want them to do (that an estate agent won't do, or you can't do yourself)?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Jul 2010 12:02 AM by JohnKath Star rating. 157 posts Send private message

If the property is your principal residence you can roll the gain over into a new principal residence anywhere in the the EU and you do not then pay CGT and you have 3 years inwhich to do this.

Like 0      
27 Jul 2010 9:40 AM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Thanks John, Kath and Roberto - very helpful.

Jane

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Powerpoint presentations now won't play. - 6 posts
Sky Subscriptions - Looking for a company that arranges them - 9 posts
A Spring to Summer Love Affair … - 3 posts
paperwork requirments for renting a property - 5 posts
tax implications when renting my apartment - 0 posts
Buying rustic property with alterations - 10 posts
Buying rustic property with alterations - 0 posts
Spanish Banks - 5 posts
Spanish lawyers not fulfilling their duty - 2 posts
Something for the Weekend Sir/Madam? - 1 posts
Car ownership - 9 posts
find; Live sain, Love Spain - 0 posts
torresat - 5 posts
Euro to Sterling - 3 posts
Mobile Phone Problem...Help - 3 posts
Illegal business reporting - 6 posts
i bought a house in olvera - 1 posts
Las Brisas - Campamor - 5 posts
How vulnerable is the Spanish economy? BBC 2 Newsnight - 9 posts
community rules - 4 posts
Keyholder, meet and great and cleaning required. - Playa Flamenca - 6 posts
IBI TAX 2010 - 1 posts
Thinking of making the move - but where to start?!?! - 2 posts
Fisiotherapeut - 0 posts
Golf Clubs wanted - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x