Changes to terms and conditions of mortgage

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Jun 2010 12:00 AM by chrissmith Star rating. 158 posts Send private message

chrissmith´s avatar

We are due to complete tomorrow and the bank providing the mortgage has just informed us that the rate applicable for the first year has been increased as they don't want to lend to anybody at the moment and hope that this will deter applicants that have already been approved. I understand that Spain's banks are not regulated as they are in UK but surely their mortgage offer has some kind of legal obligation? I wonder if anyone has had experience of such an instance and whether there are any tips to try and persuade the bank not renege on their original offer.

The option of pulling out and looking for an alternative offer is complicated by the VAT increase next week so think they have us by the short and curlys but if anyone has any advice that would be greatrly appreciated. Would my solicitor (who I can't get hold of as usual) be able to exert presuure?

Like 0      
24 Jun 2010 1:01 PM by redsam79 Star rating in Los Pacos, Costa del.... 192 posts Send private message

Hi Chris, I would be quite sure if you read the small print in your mortgage offer the bank can alter the terms of the offer or indeed withdraw it all together. You are right they have you by the short and curlys, so if you can live with the new offer I suggest don't make waves and take it. Sorry to be of no real help but I think you will find you have no alternative.

SUCCESS IS SIMPLY A MATTER OF LUCK....ASK ANY FAILURE!!

Like 0      
24 Jun 2010 3:32 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 420 posts Send private message

Talk to your solicitor immediately, if you have an offer from the bank there should be no reason for them to change it.

Joan

Like 0      
25 Jun 2010 7:56 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

By Law, the offer by the Bank is binding:

Provision 5 of Order dated 5th of May of 1994 on transparency of financial operations.

You can find more information on this, by clicking on here

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 25/06/2010.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
25 Jun 2010 10:22 AM by sharonw Star rating in Coin, Malaga. 281 posts Send private message

sharonw´s avatar

Hi chrissmith,

Maria's reply of course is correct in regard to a binding offer, but I think the problem is - as with most of the Spanish lenders - you do not actually receive a binding offer until you sign at the notary!   These lenders advise the T & C's of the mortgage in an email and there is nothing to sign. This is not unusual practice and often your lawyer would ask you to confirm your acceptance of the conditions as correct in an email to them.

Regards

Sharon

sharon@tmasspain.com

www.themortgageservicegroup.com

Like 0      
27 Jun 2010 10:57 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

If you can choose, choose the Bank which offer to you the Binding offer and report that other one which does not to the corresponsing ombudsman

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

christmas flights from glasgow - 0 posts
christmas flights from glasgow - 1 posts
Rental Contract in Spanish (1 week stay) - 5 posts
Voting at AGM - 1 posts
WHAT HAPPENED TO A THREAD? - 1 posts
sale contract - 7 posts
Light fixtures in Quesada - 7 posts
Watch UK tv on your laptop!! - 14 posts
Has work stopped on your development...Are you trying to recover your deposit? - 9 posts
y Boletín de Instalación de Agua - 1 posts
Plumber > y Boletín de Instalación de Agua costs 700 € ??? - 2 posts
drive to spain - 1 posts
Who's going to win the World Cup - 47 posts
Agents Required - 0 posts
Friend or foe - 5 posts
Denuncia fine for no insurance - 3 posts
Chinese Bazaars (Prices?) - 5 posts
Transferring money to my Spanish bank - 6 posts
Endesa Web Site in English - 3 posts
can anyone recommend a good garage for servicing vehicle around Estepona - 3 posts
Simulsat TV - 9 posts
help wanted - 1 posts
Information, please? - 2 posts
Why do we get so many new members wanting to move to Spain? - 29 posts
Playing around! - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x