Chinese Bazaars (Prices?)

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Jun 2010 12:00 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

I am not sure how they managed it but somehow the myth the Chinese bazaars offer cheap goods have taken hold. The stuff is cheap in quality but not in price; the stuff isn’t that competitive either. As with any other store you get a few loss-leader bargains but the myth persists.

By the ‘pyramid roundabout between La Zenia and Campoamor (you likely have similar) there’s a couple of Spanish stores selling mostly Spanish products. The choice is a joy to behold; well made; looks good; nice and ethnic: The prices really are reasonable. As the saying goes, ‘use them or lose them.’ Let’s buy patriotically. These Spanish proprietors have done a great job. They deserve better.

PS. Spain 2 v Honduras 0. Well done Spain; you were all over them! It should have been 8 – 0

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
21 Jun 2010 11:27 PM by mikelord Star rating in Roda. 148 posts Send private message

I agree about some high prices in "Chino" store, we own a health & beauty shop in Playa Flamenca near Torrevieja and we sell UK sun protection products which are much cheaper (about 40% less) than THE SAME brand in the local chinese shops! Take care with those "bargains".

HealthandBeautyAbroad.com

Michael Lord

www.HealthandBeautyAbroad.com

Like 0      
21 Jun 2010 11:51 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

The "Chino" stores as the Spanish call them used to be very, very cheap when we first visited Spain.

Now however, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole!

PS. Anyone know where to get a cheap barge pole, as I keep running out of them!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
22 Jun 2010 12:00 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Well, I bought a very good looking tallish vase that was reasonably heavy for only 2.50€ in the new one now in the old Eroski store at Dona Pepa2 on Tuesday. (Spent a lot longer in the store staying out of that deluge that never wanted to stop).

Like 0      
22 Jun 2010 9:50 AM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

As we are pensioners, we do what pensioners would do back in the UK - we shop around!  We have bought a few good things in Multiprecios Panda (recently we bought some toys for our dog Lisa's birthday!), but we have also bought good things in the Spanish shops.  The quality has been good otherwise we wouldn't have bought from there, though John has just pointed out that there is a lot of rubbish in a couple of the smaller ones. 

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
22 Jun 2010 10:06 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

As we are pensioners, we do what pensioners would do back in the UK - we shop around! 

Exactly Sue, it makes sense! We noticed that the new large Chino in the predominently ex-pat area well away from the local town was asking 75c for the same goods that the Chino in the town was asking 60c for. Anyway, you can usually tell tat from decent so why buy tat.

Your Lisa is totally ruined! And why not, bless her, she's a very lucky dog.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Transferring money to my Spanish bank - 6 posts
Endesa Web Site in English - 3 posts
can anyone recommend a good garage for servicing vehicle around Estepona - 3 posts
Simulsat TV - 9 posts
help wanted - 1 posts
Information, please? - 2 posts
Why do we get so many new members wanting to move to Spain? - 29 posts
Playing around! - 0 posts
Calahonda International School - 2 posts
Spanish postal service reliability - 2 posts
New on here and need some good advice... - 15 posts
Jale bankruptcy - 0 posts
HP Laptop For Sale - 2 posts
Horse riding stuff for sale - 0 posts
advice needed please - 1 posts
Speeding Fine UK Registered Car - Advice Needed - 12 posts
England Match - 2 posts
Winter heating - 4 posts
Court costs - 2 posts
Because we're worth it. - 6 posts
TASA Costa Esuri - help - 0 posts
Holiday let required please - 1 posts
Inheritance Taxes - 26 posts
Postal Service: Urgent help Needed, please - 3 posts
Garden Centres, DIY stores etc in Albox/ Huercal-Overa Area? - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x