Average Wages In Spain - All trades etc - Commuting to UK?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Apr 2007 12:00 AM by LAM1963 Star rating in Lincolnshire, Fortun.... 152 posts Send private message

LAM1963´s avatar
So what are the average wages in Spain for an Expat it would be interesting to know the going rates of pay.
From shop assistants to Non skilled and skilled Plumbers, electricians etc. Bar work etc

So if you work please give an idea and lets see if it is better to commute to England with cheap flights etc

Like 0      
23 Apr 2007 10:58 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
LOW, that's what wages here tend to be.  Think about what these people would earn in the UK and then halve it!

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
23 Apr 2007 11:08 PM by babe Star rating. 177 posts Send private message

dont know about spain but my husband applyed for a job in gib  he is a first officer engineer in the merchant navy  he was told the wage was £4.10 PENCE PER HOUR     back   in the uk his min wage 28.000 per year+ over time take in it up to 40.000  i think he will comute

Like 0      
23 Apr 2007 11:08 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Average annual earnings gross in Andalucia which is the poorest region in Spain (surprisingly) are less than 9000€ per annum - of course that includes farm workers etc but nonetheless the average income is low - so much for the playground of the rich!!

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
23 Apr 2007 11:38 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Think I read that figure somewhere recently as well (€9000) but it may be a little misleading since a lot of people still work "black" or at least get paid a part of their wages under the table. This is probably particularly true in the catering industry, which of course employs a lot of people on the Costas. Also, many catering staff work seasonally, and either doss around the rest of the year or do casual (black) jobs through the winter. I have some guys doing some reform work at the moment, one of whom usually works as a waiter during the summer months. He used to be a cop in Colombia, which I imagine could be quite lucrative, so I would think he makes more than 9k a year over here. Mind you, I suppose he'd happily take a cut in earnings against the increased life-expectancy of a waiter/builder versus Colombian cop.

Also, bear in mind that many people are self employed, and it is unlikely that their true earnings are included in this "average" figure. People like mortgage brokers and webmasters may tell you they average 9k a year, but truth is, their weekly booze bill probably exceeds that, so don't be too taken in by statistics. After all, 42.3% of people know that 93.6% of statistics are made up.

Having said all that, I actually agree with others here, namely that wages are p*ss poor. A typical shop assistant's or waiter's wage will be €1000 a month, and unless you have a fair degree of fluency in Spanish, opportunities for expats are rather limited. I recommend getting hold of a copy of Sur in English or one of the other English papers to see what type of jobs are offered. A great many are in real estate, which will be commission based and expect you to be a car owner (who is happy to put excessive miles on your car).

I'm starting to waffle now,so I'm going to another thread.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
28 Apr 2007 3:59 PM by LAM1963 Star rating in Lincolnshire, Fortun.... 152 posts Send private message

LAM1963´s avatar
It seems that with cheap flights especially to Stanstead from Murcia or Alicante that Commuting to the Uk  is worthwhile.

Like 0      
28 Apr 2007 4:53 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Worthwhile commuting until the expensive period crop up.  Flights are great except over holiday periods (Christmas, Easter, Half terms etc) and also end of June to September when it can cost £300 plus return.  Saying that, the average wage in Spain outside Madrid and Barcelona is under €14,000 a year (about £10,000 if you're lucky),  Of course, this average wage takes in all the bar, restaurant and other staff which rely on tips to boost their wages.  However, an office worker (typical hours quite different to UK - 8.30to1400 and 1700to2030 ish) will still be lucky to get €15,000 a year.  This does not include those in the property business who work on commission, hence the high rates charged in Spain when buying property.

I have a friend who does commute to Spain and spends his whole 5 weeks holiday there at a week a time (his wife lives in Spain permanently) and also goes over for odd weekends.  You can still hit it lucky and get return flights for 60 to 70 pounds a time if you book in advance.  I think my best was £34 return (including taxes and fees) in November.  If you register your e-mail address with a no-frills company, they will contact you with offers when they become available as the seats increase in price as the plane fills up. 

Like 0      
04 May 2007 7:00 PM by tinasolera Star rating in Murcia. 801 posts Send private message

tinasolera´s avatar

Hi

What is the wage tax in Spain?

www.galgosdelsol.es

Like 0      
04 May 2007 7:16 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Not an easy question to answer, but found this which may help; don't know how accurate the source is (found some out of date stuff on same site, so be careful!) Probably best to get professional advice.

Rough guide to income tax rates in Spain:

Portion of income Spain tax rate Provincial tax rate
First 4000€ 15% 3%
4000€ - 13.000€ 20% 4%
13.000€ - 25.000€ 24% 5%
25.000€ - 40.000€ 31% 6%
40.000€ - 67.000€ 38% 7%
The portion above 67.000€ 40% 8%

In other words, if you make 20.000€, the first 4000€ are taxed at 18%, the next 9000€ is charged at 24%, and the last 7000€ is charged at 29%.

The provincial tax rate is only a guide. Some autonomous communities have different rates.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
04 May 2007 7:21 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Taxable Income € % Tax Total tax payable at top of band €
0 – 4,161 15 624
4,162 – 14,357 24 3,071
14,358 – 26,842 28 6,567
26,843 - 46,818 37 13,958
46,819 and over 45  

Also found this one which is valid for 2006/2007.  I think the bands below were the 2003 rates from previous posts.Also remember to deduct your personal allowances which vary by age and marital status.    For example, in the first one it is 0 - 4161 over your personal allowance.  Personal tax allowance is 3,400 euros each and 800 euros over 65 and 1000 euros over 75.

So, a couple under 65 earning 10000 euros a year.  Deduct 6800 euros - 3200 euros taxed at 15% because it's under the 4161 level.  A couple earning 30000 euros a year.  Deduct 6800 euros, 23200 - 1st 4161 at 15%, then 24% up to 14357 and then 28% up to the remaining 23200 euros.  That's 3071 (top of band 2) plus 2476 for band 3.  Total tax 5547 euros.  (I think)

Sorry had to edit cos I mucked up the first bit......been a long week

This message was last edited by bobaol on 5/4/2007.

Like 0      
04 May 2007 7:29 PM by tinasolera Star rating in Murcia. 801 posts Send private message

tinasolera´s avatar

Thanks guys

That helps alot !!!!

Tina

www.galgosdelsol.es

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

visit to town council - 3 posts
New or resale - 53 posts
El Banditos Puerto Banus - 1 posts
Polaris clause 4.2 - 5 posts
Clause 4.2 Polaris World - 2 posts
Are there any special rules for transporting domestic pets from Hong Kong to Spain - 0 posts
Here you go Smiley... - 31 posts
How many forum members does it take to change a light bulb? - 6 posts
Google .. R U missing out ? - 9 posts
new buyer - 12 posts
Webcam 24hrs of the day animals, towns, seasides, places of interest - 0 posts
Part Time Work - 3 posts
83 LOOKY MEN ARRESTED IN MARBELLA - 2 posts
ESCAPED CROCODILE CAPTURED - 0 posts
El Estribo - Sabinillas , CDS - 32 posts
Anyone suggest good lawyer in Guardamar are? - 10 posts
Interest Only Mortgages - 2 posts
Disney Land in Murcia. - 13 posts
New Airport??? - 40 posts
occupation licence duquesa. - 14 posts
Advertising for short term rentals - 1 posts
'Bubble' fears hit Spanish property - 3 posts
Why?....Confused! - 2 posts
Stories from Spain - 0 posts
What to Eat (and drink ! ) in the "real" Spain - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x