BBC One HD Coming soon....to digital satellite

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 May 2010 12:00 AM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

The BBC has confirmed plans to launch a high definition version of BBC One in the autumn.

BBC One HD will offer a HD simulcast of the channel, including HD versions of EastEnders, Holby City and The One Show.

The channel's autumn schedule in HD will also include Strictly Come Dancing, Human Planet and Waterloo Road.

BBC One HD will be made available on Freesat, Freeview, Sky and Virgin Media.

The channel will operate in addition to the BBC HD channel, which will also extend its regular broadcast hours over the "coming months" from nine to 12 hours a day.

From the BBC:
[quote]That means that in the future - once you have a fully-connected HD set in your home - you will be able to enjoy all the BBC One programmes made in HD (including the vast majority of programmes shown in the evenings) without the need to change channels.

And if you don't fancy a BBC One programme, BBC HD which will operate for longer hours than it has done previously will be able to offer you an alternative including Top Gear, Later With Jools Holland, and new drama, comedy, factual and children's programmes.

These two HD channels from the BBC will be available whatever digital television platform you choose, provided, in the case of Freeview, that HD has rolled out to your area.[/quote]

Obviously its a bit too early to know what frequency it will be on or what sort of availability it will be like (ie BBC 1 or BBC2), suffice to say that it will be available free to air on Freesat HD, Sky HD and other HD receivers.

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
28 May 2010 3:44 PM by peteha Star rating. 110 posts Send private message

Hi and thanks for the information

what will i need to do to view these channels?

and what would be the apprximate cost

i am currently connected by a dish on the roof to a sky box

i watch all the bbc itv channels etc without any card

my tv is hd ready.

regards

Like 0      
28 May 2010 4:15 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

As I said "it will be available free to air on Freesat HD, Sky HD and other HD receivers."

So, to watch  ANY HD channels you need a HD satelllite receiver - either Freesat HD, Sky HD, or any other HD receiver - prices range from 200 euros to 600 euros depending on make, model, with HDD record functions etc)

To get the exisiting BBC HD,  you will need a satellite dish capable of receiving BBC Channel Islands - they are on the same frequency. (nothing has been said about hwer the new BBC1HD chanenl will be yet so I cannot comment on its reception here in Spain - it may be as BBC1 CI or as BBC2!)

And a HD TV with a HDMI input

This message was last edited by satandpcguy on 28/05/2010.

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
28 May 2010 7:19 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hubby has just said to tell you we've had it since having our 1.9m sat dish March 2009! We have a Humax Freesat+ box & watch it on 108

This message was last edited by morerosado on 28/05/2010.

Like 0      
28 May 2010 8:29 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

No. Sorry.Hubby is wrong.

You have the "BBC HD" channel.

This is "BBC One HD".

The new channel will be a full simulcast of BBC 1...just like ITV1 HD and C4HD are of ITV1 and C4.

whereas the BBC HD channel you currently have is just a "best of BBC in HD" channel operating with limited hours.

So when this new channel launches you will have TWO channels from the BBC in HD -

BBC One HD

and

BBC HD Channel.

As I posted:

The channel will operate in addition to the BBC HD channel, which will also extend its regular broadcast hours over the "coming months" from nine to 12 hours a day.

Hubby owes you a meal out!!! (And me I think!) as apology!!!

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
28 May 2010 8:37 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I knew that  I wanted YOU to tell him, he takes no notice of me, lol.

Thanks!  

Like 0      
29 May 2010 11:25 AM by TheBabyHireCentre Star rating in In between the two a.... 48 posts Send private message

TheBabyHireCentre´s avatar

"The new channel will be a full simulcast of BBC 1...just like ITV1 HD and C4HD are of ITV1 and C4."

You mention C4HD. That is not available on freesat is it?

Like 0      
29 May 2010 11:45 AM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

No

C4 HD is not on freesat (yet) and currently requries a sky card to view - either freestfromsky or subscription.

And there are TWO versions of ITV1HD...on is the freesat versions, that is on a weak frequency and whose reception will be similar to BBC2, and then there is a sky card version whose reception is great even on a small 80cm dish!!!

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
29 May 2010 12:27 PM by TheBabyHireCentre Star rating in In between the two a.... 48 posts Send private message

TheBabyHireCentre´s avatar

That is clear, thank you.

BTW - the ITV normal ch103 (set to south west region postcode - I read somewhere that this region gives a better freesat signal/image) seems to give a better image on the red button HD service than the dedicated itvhd picture (ch119).

Would you concur?

Like 0      
29 May 2010 1:16 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

At last, F1 in HD (albeit next season)

Mark

Like 0      
29 May 2010 1:59 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

Baby: some ITV SD regions have upped their resolution in the last few weeks...i cannot rememeber what the best resolutions ITV 1 regions are

Mfish: F1 in upscaled HD...i was reading somehting earlier this morning that FOM, who provide the TV coverage for F1, are waiting for the latest 3D kit before offering HD and 3D F1 racing, as there is no point in upgrading once for HD and spending more on further 3D kit....F1 has been in HD on a few other eurobroadcsaters for the last few years, but again, its just upscaled...until FOM provide a HD feed then it will not be in true HD....

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

OKI TV - 2 posts
Driving to Spain - 2 posts
Success of international operations against Mafia in Costa del Sol - 0 posts
Help......Forgot middle name when booking my flight with Ryanair - 4 posts
HELP NEEDED - 19 posts
insect bites, any advice? - 22 posts
Chevorlet Matiz For sale, lady owner,full service history - 1 posts
Developers have gone into liquidation with our deposit - 18 posts
Van Rental San Francisco - 1 posts
Van Rental - 1 posts
Toyota RAV 4 For Sale - 0 posts
400 Posts! - 2 posts
Getaway Earth Update - 0 posts
I'm proud of my nieces, they did this for charity, look! (AND HAD FUN!) - 7 posts
General Heads Up Needed - BARCELONA - 0 posts
New here... old to Spain - 3 posts
wanted - writing bureau - 0 posts
IVA / VAT - an optional tax! - 4 posts
Help! House Falling Down! - 4 posts
Looking for playlist for spanish radio station (Kiss FM) - 7 posts
Instant Access Properties Limited - 0 posts
Has anybody eaten at the Fondue Lounge in Elviria? - 4 posts
Sightseeing in Seville... - 6 posts
Habitation certificate - 11 posts
Looking for help - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x