Driving to Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 May 2010 12:00 AM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

Hi Everyone,

We have decided to drive down to Spain leaving on 28th or 29th of August. This will be our first trip by car. We were going to use Eurotunnel and head for Bordeaux, avoiding Paris.(Tesco vouchers to buy ticket). Can any one advise how much the motorway tolls would be, is it worth avoiding the pay motorway? Is Bordeaux a sensible distance to aim for our first night stop and should I pre book a hotel?

I've seen a good price for a Premier Classe hotel just south of Bordeaux, is the Hotel easy to find?

We were hoping to make Torrevieja area by the evening of day 2.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Kevin

This message was last edited by kev2006n on 28/05/2010.

Like 0      
28 May 2010 10:27 AM by gcarton Star rating. 144 posts Send private message

Just returned and tolls were £120 for the trip. You can check your route and costs on viamichelin site. We tend usually take three days with two stopovers. Either Le Mans or Paris then Narbonne. Use B&B or Premiere Inns. Narbonne to Torre is around 8/9 hours drive.

Guy

Like 0      
28 May 2010 11:00 AM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

Hi,

We intend to drive down to our place near Rojales (a few miles from Torrevieja) early next month.  We live just outside Canterbury, so Dover is not too far away making a long road trip an obvious choice.  Our normal way is to fly for shorter trips, but what with the potential of dust clouds, cabin staff strikes and the cost of car rental, that's out of the question this year.  We also have a ton of stuff (not literally) to take down, so with the back seats folded down in our people carrier we should be fine.  We have also driven down via the Portsmouth - Bilbao route before and found the remaining 500 miles across Spain pretty simple and we found accommodation easy to find (I use a TomTom sat nav.).

Our intended route is:

> Dover-Calais (ferry) > Rouen > Le Mans > Poitiers (for the night)

> Bordeaux > France - Spain border > Denostia > Pamplona (for the night)

> Zaragoza > then launch cross country via Alcaniz to strike the AP7 Just north of Valencia > following the AP7 around Valencia to the A35 and the A31 to take us down to wards Alicante and linking up with the AP37, getting off at the appropriate junction.

The Michelin map site (http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/tpl/hme/MaHomePage.htm) says this is 1960km and that tolls will be 69.95 euros (I think that's a bit low, but wait to be surprised!).

We are allowing 2 overnight stops as we don't want to be rushed.  As for accommodation, I am told it's pretty easy, but from research I find a very wide range of prices (£25 to over £120 per night).  I have been told Formula 1 group are pretty good, but they dont have on-suite facilities, so I am looking for something a bit better.

I will try to let you know how we get on.

Mike

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Success of international operations against Mafia in Costa del Sol - 0 posts
Help......Forgot middle name when booking my flight with Ryanair - 4 posts
HELP NEEDED - 19 posts
insect bites, any advice? - 22 posts
Chevorlet Matiz For sale, lady owner,full service history - 1 posts
Developers have gone into liquidation with our deposit - 18 posts
Van Rental San Francisco - 1 posts
Van Rental - 1 posts
Toyota RAV 4 For Sale - 0 posts
400 Posts! - 2 posts
Getaway Earth Update - 0 posts
I'm proud of my nieces, they did this for charity, look! (AND HAD FUN!) - 7 posts
General Heads Up Needed - BARCELONA - 0 posts
New here... old to Spain - 3 posts
wanted - writing bureau - 0 posts
IVA / VAT - an optional tax! - 4 posts
Help! House Falling Down! - 4 posts
Looking for playlist for spanish radio station (Kiss FM) - 7 posts
Instant Access Properties Limited - 0 posts
Has anybody eaten at the Fondue Lounge in Elviria? - 4 posts
Sightseeing in Seville... - 6 posts
Habitation certificate - 11 posts
Looking for help - 6 posts
Hi im hoping to move to Ciudad quesada - 4 posts
Nearest ferritea - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x