Where to invest £1000 for daughter?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 May 2010 12:00 AM by simplystockbroking Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi,

My 8mth old daughter had been given a gift of £1000.00

I have already opened a Halifax regular saver and a save it account.

I've yet to open her CTF but I dont want it to go in there. I'm just going to invest her voucher in something a bit more risky and treat it as bonus money. ( looking for recommendations there as well)

I dont mind locking it away for a few years, I was thinking of using £250 to buy premium bonds, I know the return isnt great but you never know when you might get lucky.

Could anyone recommend an account/investment/bond/online trading?

Or would you just drip feed it into the Halifax account, if so do you know of a childrens account that I can use to feed the halifax account.

Many Thanks

Like 0      
18 May 2010 6:08 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

THIS is about bank guarantees on Spanish properties NOT what YOU are talking about!

Like 0      
18 May 2010 6:47 PM by rowlandsbb Star rating in Gloucestershire &Hue.... 779 posts Send private message

rowlandsbb´s avatar

Take professional advice

Buy £1000 of BP shares.....down now because of their problems but I know many of my age group 60 + who have held BP for a long time and done well

It is one of our major companies

I'm a property guy but with only £1000 to spend it may help her to pay for University or just to have a good time

All shares are a bit of a bet !

Just one suggestion amongst many you may have

Like 0      
18 May 2010 8:11 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Buy an apartment in Spain, there's plenty in your price range right now. It's what the Spanish do for their kids.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
18 May 2010 8:21 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Buy an apartment in Spain, there's plenty in your price range right now. It's what the Spanish do for their kids.

Roberto, it's £1,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll have a few if you can pick up an apartment for A THOUSAND QUID!

Like 0      
18 May 2010 8:50 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I was being ironic. Go back and read my first post on Just Curious. In fact, better still, this thread should be merged with Just Curious, because it's equally irrelevant and pointless.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
18 May 2010 9:25 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Where's the wink then, Rob? You always usually use smileys when being ironic (don't you??)  

Lost your bit of string?  

Like 0      
18 May 2010 10:49 PM by KP Star rating. 229 posts Send private message

Ha ha, I think  'simplystockbroking'  is a sly advert for the Halifax accounts myself or am I missing something.......

Like 0      
18 May 2010 10:56 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I think Halifax's advertising budget stretches to a bit more than a random post on a public forum. I know there's a recession, but surely.....

Mark Twain

Like 0      
18 May 2010 11:21 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Out of date I think now but ..

This message was last edited by morerosado on 18/05/2010.

Like 0      
19 May 2010 9:55 AM by Eva2008 Star rating in Reading. 152 posts Send private message

Eva2008´s avatar

Pick a colour, red or black, then spin that wheel!!!

50/50, double or quit, seems like better returns than anywhere else at the moment!

Like 0      
19 May 2010 10:10 AM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

Taken from todays Moneysaving expert news letter by Martin Lewis

Stop Press! Earn 7.9% on your savings
19 year inflation high means RPI-linked savings pay huge amounts

A rise in inflation (the rate prices rise) isn't generally good news, and the just announced April RPI shows a 19 year high of 5.3%. Yet savers can take advantage to earn huge rates for the current climate...

• Basic rate taxpayers earn equiv of 7.9%. NS&I, the government run bank's index-linked savings pays RPI + 1% tax-free, so that's 6.3% at current rates (see warning below). To earn that in normal savings a basic rate taxpayer would need 7.9% pre-tax (higher rate 10.5%, top rate 12.6%), over double the standard best buy.

• You're meant to lock the cash away. You can put up to £15,000 in, locked away for 3 or 5 years. However, after a year, for a small interest penalty you can access your cash - though don't do this if you may need access sooner. For full details see Inflation linked savings guide.

• Warning - the rate varies. The rate earned varies each month with inflation and while some predict it'll be reasonably high going forward, that's not guaranteed.

Last year inflation was negative. If that happens again, the underlying interest you're locked into will be too (though by definition it's guaranteed to pay above inflation growth). Still, for it not to beat other savings over the next year (the first time you can get money out) we'd need to see a massive, though not impossible, drop.

Sounds very good to me as an ex IFA

Fred

Overseas Property Company

fred@overseaspropertycompany.com

Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      
19 May 2010 10:20 AM by simplystockbroking Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Thanks Il look into the BP shares can you do this with online trading sites? How would I go about getting them?

Thanks

Like 0      
19 May 2010 10:50 AM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

Before you invest in BP you should read this

http://www.lse.co.uk/SharePrice.asp?shareprice=BP.

Fred

Overseas Property Company

fred@overseaspropertycompany.com

Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      
19 May 2010 11:43 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

I'm with Roberto and KP on this one!

I must say, I'm surprised Norman hasn't come along and told people that they should bury their money in the Sands!!!

Oh hum! I think people should look at the Just Curious thread instead of this one!

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 19/05/2010.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
24 May 2010 1:06 PM by simplystockbroking Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Ok guys thanks for the info, im going to take all of this into consideration when placing my money somewhere.

Like 0      
24 May 2010 1:10 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I thought it was your 8 month old daughter's money!

Like 0      
24 May 2010 1:13 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

rowlandsbb:

Buy £1000 of BP shares.....down now because of their problems but I know many of my age group 60 + who have held BP for a long time and done well

It is one of our major companies

I'm a property guy but with only £1000 to spend it may help her to pay for University or just to have a good time

All shares are a bit of a bet !

BP is looking even better value now.  It's currently down to £4.90.  It looks like a total over-reaction to me, but it could easily fall lower.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Help again?????? - 0 posts
Your valuable advice please - 3 posts
Watch This Thread-LOVE IT! - 6 posts
Dipping toes in water - 2 posts
I want to buy Champion League Final Ticket 2010 (Match date 22 May 2010)? Plz help - 0 posts
Items for sale - 3 posts
Buying Wines - 0 posts
car hire - 0 posts
Jumping over babies - 6 posts
THAT IS IT! - 3 posts
Re: non-residency status certificate - 16 posts
The Great Siesta Debate - 3 posts
Jerez airport - parking - 3 posts
bus routes going through San Cayetano - 1 posts
Santander to San javier - 16 posts
Little Old Men - 4 posts
Question for Justin - 2 posts
painting holidays in spain - 4 posts
AGM Voting - Abstaining? - 11 posts
A Very Dangerous Virus - 11 posts
40K Members on EOS!!!!! - 4 posts
Jet2 abandonement - 1 posts
Spanish tax return completed free of charge - 0 posts
Do you know where this is - 7 posts
Goverment Bicycle hire at the beach in Costa Calida - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 18

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x