Earthquake

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Apr 2010 12:00 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Did anyone feel the earthquake yesterday?

Apparently measured 6.2 - epicentre 15 miles SE of Granada.

Like 0      
13 Apr 2010 3:10 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

We live 24 miles away from the reported epicentre and never felt a thing!

My dogs are normally very responsive to events of this nature but were totally chilled out and showed no sign of anything untoward.

I suspect the lack of any effect is due to the depth of the tremor; at 690 kms it would be mostly absorbed.

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
13 Apr 2010 3:27 PM by Jacqui51s Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I couldnt believe it when I read in El Mercurio de Chile that Andalucia had had an earthquake of 6.2 on the Richter scale. Having lived through the recent 8.0 earthquake in Santiago de Chile and seen how much damage was done to parts of the country, to read that a 6.2 was reported in Spain was terrifiying. Luckily it was so deep that most (all) of it was absorbed by the surrounding land - I'm not sure how much of the south of Spaiin would remain standing if it hadnt been.  Lets hope thats the last of it.........

Like 0      
13 Apr 2010 10:37 PM by summer70 Star rating in Granada. 92 posts Send private message

summer70´s avatar

I didn't realise until recently, but the Granada region, stretching all along the Sierra Nevadas and across to parts of Malaga province, is actually one of the 'hotter' earthquake spots in Spain.

There was actually a bad earthquake there in Arenas de Rey, Granada, in 1884 and another in the 1950s, plus some bad earthquakes in Cordoba too. There is a lot of seismic activity in this region.

Here's a link: http://www.iberianature.com/material/earthquake.htm

But overall. in terms of earthquakes, Spain is pretty stable in most regions.

Like 0      
14 Apr 2010 3:43 PM by SandraThomas Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

We have an a partment in Almoradi which is on the Costa Blanca and in August 2006 we experienced an earthquake in the middle of the night. Although it was only about a 3.4 it was at a depth of 10 km and we were only 5km from the epicentre and we certainly felt and heard it! It is not something I would like to experience again!

It put me off going to Spain for a while but I guess you have to put the risks into perspective and realise that a lot of countries are at risk of earthquakes. I hope there won't be any more in Spain, especially not damaging ones!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Register online for La Renta Tax??? - 10 posts
Advertise your house for sale free on line with Sarah Beany - 0 posts
Prices in Spain - 11 posts
Had enough I am off - 47 posts
tolls - 10 posts
Tax help - 5 posts
small garden work - 0 posts
Diesel Generator WANTED - 0 posts
Smoking ban delayed? - 41 posts
Mortgage broker in Malaga and/or Cadiz - 5 posts
Kayak or canoe wanted - 0 posts
Electricity and Water Bills - 0 posts
Car & Motorbike Insurance - 2 posts
Can you buy PVA in Spain? - 4 posts
Disney comes to condado de alhama - 3 posts
tax resident and capital gains - 1 posts
black nintendo ds lite - 1 posts
Miscellaneous Furniture For Sale - 1 posts
Can anyone please recommend an honest Accountant on the CDS? - 6 posts
Autonomo or SL? - 0 posts
Autonomo or SL? - 8 posts
Empty transit & bike trailer to GB - 0 posts
Murcia area to Granada - 6 posts
Spring Clearout - items for sale - 6 posts
Does anyone know - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x