tax resident and capital gains

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Apr 2010 12:00 AM by chicadeb Star rating. 32 posts Send private message

Hi,

I have a Spanish residencia (the card with my picture on) and live in Spain, surviving by teaching a few English classes a week but I don’t declare tax.  I have a property that I want to sell and then re-invest the money into a smaller property (hopefully without a mortgage or a very low mortgage that I can afford).  I am aware that for capital gains reasons I need to show a tax certificate so that 3% of the selling price won’t be held back.  If I go to the tax office to declare (which I believe is between May and June each year?) could they ask me why I haven’t declared before and how I have been living on no earnings for the past few years?  The reality is that I’ve only earned enough to pay my mortgage, bills and minimal food (and sometimes struggled with that) in order to keep things going and now I’m at a point where I know I have to sell before I can’t start paying the mortgage.  Am I doing the right thing by considering going to the tax office so 3% won’t be retained or am I opening up a “can of worms” by doing this. The 3% could really make a difference to whether I can afford to get something without a mortgage or not so any advice greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Debbie

Like 0      
11 Apr 2010 7:32 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Oh Debbie, not declaring earnings !!!

Many could say what you have said here, that 'I’ve only earned enough to pay my mortgage, bills and minimal food (and sometimes struggled with that) in order to keep things going' but that doesn't mean you can just opt not to declare your earnings! 

I am a non resident who does NOT earn a thing in Spain yet I MUST declare earnings on the NON RENTAL of my Spanish property which is disgusting. I have to  ... legally ... declare earnings I DON'T MAKE!

I think the can of worms might be opening for you.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

black nintendo ds lite - 1 posts
Miscellaneous Furniture For Sale - 1 posts
Can anyone please recommend an honest Accountant on the CDS? - 6 posts
Autonomo or SL? - 0 posts
Autonomo or SL? - 8 posts
Empty transit & bike trailer to GB - 0 posts
Murcia area to Granada - 6 posts
Spring Clearout - items for sale - 6 posts
Does anyone know - 1 posts
Air Conditioning V ceiling fans, or both - 22 posts
Internet Banking - 7 posts
Letting agent for winter - too good to be true? - 1 posts
Long term letting agent - too good to be true? - 7 posts
Cocoon telecom - 44 posts
doeas anyone knows a good locksmith to change the locks pls - 6 posts
Looking for New Mount Bikes - 3 posts
5 day break with the boys in June - 3 posts
Ibercaja - 2 posts
Ibercaja - 0 posts
Mortgage broker in Malaga and/or Cadiz - 0 posts
long term car parks in and around barcelona - 0 posts
Are my Capital Gains calculations right??!!! - 5 posts
IS SQUATTING ILLEGAL IN SPAIN? - 12 posts
Hyperlinks in Signatures... - 3 posts
Question for Justin ? - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 2

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x