Direct ferries from Britian to Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Apr 2007 12:00 AM by kez74 Star rating in cheshire. 50 posts Send private message

kez74´s avatar

Are there any ferries that sail direct to Spain from Britain.........partner does not like flying very much and wants bring car with us when we come on holiday.............we have decided on a move to Costa Blanca so we are going to go for a visit in July hopefully.............

Thanks

Like 0      
18 Apr 2007 4:42 PM by Jontymellor Star rating in Warrington & Cabo R.... 144 posts Send private message

Brittany Ferries and P&O

around a 24hr crossing to noth spain.

jonty

This message was last edited by Jontymellor on 4/18/2007.

Like 0      
18 Apr 2007 4:43 PM by algorfan Star rating in Hyde, Cheshire / La .... 38 posts Send private message

Portsmouth Bilbao or Portsmouth Santander

Both are 2 night crossings but the boats are more like cruise liners than ferries. Not cheap mind you!

Plus it's quite a drive from either port to the Costas. I did it in 9 hours with a short stop in Madrid (scary traffic believe me).

It's a good way to see lots of different aspects of Spain though

Hope this helps

Richard

Like 0      
18 Apr 2007 7:26 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/

http://www.poferries.com/tourist/

Depending on exactly where you are heading, it may be better to go via Zaragoza towards Barcelona and then down the coast, to avoid Madrid.

It's true, the ferries aren't cheap, especially in July, but they are a pleasant way to go and part of the holiday. It's also true that it's quite a drive to the Costas. Don't be fooled by hubbie's estimate after a quick glance at the road map! You know what we're all like...."oh, it should only take a couple of hours....it's just around the next corner......" Spain is a BIG country. Try experimenting with a route planner like http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/viamichelin/gbr/direct/map/Spain-map#

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
18 Apr 2007 7:35 PM by johnone Star rating in La Reserva de Marbel.... 233 posts Send private message

johnone´s avatar

I'm travelling this Sunday - Monday 22nd-23rd, plymouth -santander 18hours, 1 night crossing. Driving to Cabopino CdS, 625-630 miles, Transit Van Two driving expect 10 - 11 hours min , despite the route planners saying 9. Ferry cost £535 with double cabin both ways, but one occupant (not me) on the return. Havn't a clue what the diesel cost will be.

anyone done this Journey ?

John

Dime con quién andas y te diré quién eres.

Like 0      
18 Apr 2007 7:45 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Yes, I've done it by car, only one driver, but took me 12 hours and I was knackered at the end! Madrid is a BITCH. It'll make you pine for the M25. Study and commit to memory the route planner - and then expect to get lost

When you are coming down hill from Antequera towards the coast and see the signs for Malaga, you will smile and say "ah, at last, nearly there." Then you'll hit all the traffic around Malaga and maybe reach Cabopino an hour later in bad need of a pint or three.

Good luck!

P.S. I think diesel is about €1 a litre. Anybody care to confirm?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
18 Apr 2007 7:48 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Hi Kerri

Just thought I'd mention our trip last year.  We flew into Paris (from Dubai - no direct flights to Spain from here!!) and made an "adventure" out of driving down to Duquesa (near Marbella, Costa del Sol) with our seven year old!  We arrived in Paris, just after lunch, and started driving towards Bordeaux, stayed in Saintes for the night (just off the motorway, nice little place!) and then continued our journey the next day.  Ended up just south off Madrid and stayed in Tembleque for the night (lovely place) and then headed on down the next day to Duquesa.  On the way back, we stopped in Briviesca, north Spain and then in Chaterrellault, France, before setting off to Paris.  We had a great time, just stopping off when it suited us!!  We then stopped in Paris for three days and did Euro Disney - great fun!!

I realise you may not have that time to spare and plan in your mind, but I must say we had a great time!  And I realise you have four children to entertain - which can make a big difference!!!  Obviously, if you were heading for the Costa Blanca, or thereabouts, you would plan a different route and it may not take two days. 

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it.

Like 0      
18 Apr 2007 7:52 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Diesel is currently just under 1€ a litre but depends where you fill up

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
18 Apr 2007 7:53 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

have a look in this thread as well - there's a good post just gone up there: http://www.eyeonspain.com/Secure/ForumPosts.aspx?thread=1008&dev=FB16&name=Moving%20to%20Spain

Mark Twain

Like 0      
19 Apr 2007 1:32 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Hi, Newbie's first post...To anyone coming from or driving to England I would offer the following advice re Madrid.

Avoid it like the plague.  Microsoft Autoroute and most of the current sat nav packages will have you drive either straight through the centre or use the M30/ M40 However, it is possible to avoid Madrid if you look at the viamichelin maps. There is another ring road which bypasses Madrid and apart from one or two areas of confusion it is quick and easy to follow. Its the route we took with our 30ft Yank tank Motorhome. Look to the North of Madrid to the motorracing circuit at Jarama or  San Sebastin de Los Reyes, pick up the M50 and stay with it, direccion Sur,signposted Cordoba and at that point Almeria. The motorway threads it way between Barajas airport and the spanish airforce base at Torrejon. Just stay on this route until intersectio of M50 junction 46 and E5 south junction 17. Come off at this junction and head due south on E5. Saves hours of aggravation.

There a a couple of confusing bits but just go with your gut feeling, stay on the main route and do not divert away from it. The confusion arises because of the quaintly european habit of giving the same piece of road several different numbers.

I have found autoroute to be totally useless as unless you buy the updates, Spain is full of errors. I dont have an axe to grind but for the most up to date information I cannot  fault Viamichelin.

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
19 Apr 2007 1:45 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Foxbat, don't know if this is relevant or not but we just returned to Dubai from Madrid last week, driving up from Manilva (Malaga) and (if my memory serves me correctly!!) took the M50 to head to the airport.  When on it, we kept wondering why the signs had certain places (including the airport!!) struck out - only to find out that the reason was a section of it was closed!!  We ended up having to come off (as there was no other choice) and get to the airport on another route, which wasn't a problem though.  Have no idea how large a section was closed, but, coming from the south, it was certainly a section on the east side of Madrid, going to the airport!!!

So, it may be that anyone intending to travel via that route should check out whether it's viable or not!  I'm sure not all route-planning websites probably have that updated on their data!!

If anyone can add to this (maybe I've got the wrong road!!) then great!

Like 0      
20 Apr 2007 10:34 AM by jmtwsm Star rating in Sabinillas CDS. 191 posts Send private message

jmtwsm´s avatar

I would always recommend using the Brittany Ferries route to Santander, as it is quicker and the ship is much nicer with really good food on board.

Here are 2 really good routes to the Costa Blanca that I have used, sometimes going down one route and back the other.

Head south of Santander on the N623 towards Burgos and after about 40 miles, you will see the Embalse del Ebro on your right.  Turn left here on to the N232 and stay on this road through Logrono, Zaragoza, Alcaniz, Morella (amazing place) and you will hit the coast at Vinaros.   You then take N340 coast road or motorway to your Costa Blanca resort.

The other route takes you through Burgos and you turn left onto the N234 past Soria, Calatayud, Daroca, Teruel and hitting the coast at Sagunto.  This is the quicker of the 2 routes and can be done in a long day, but I would recommend taking 2 days as there is so much to see on route.

When heading down south to Sabinillas CDS,  we like to get past Madrid (ouch) and stay at the Hotel Los Arcos at Dosbarrios. This is on the main road with secure parking, nice rooms and good food. We then can arrive in Sabinillas for lunch.   On the way back, we leave early and stay in or near Santander that night so we can go shopping and have a lazy lunch next day before boarding the ferry.

Like 0      
20 Apr 2007 10:50 AM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/18/2007.

Like 0      
20 Apr 2007 12:24 PM by babe Star rating. 177 posts Send private message

can someone help i will be driving to CDS next month with van load of furniture and have been told not to seal boxes as the customs will demand we open them  is this right

also most of my furniture is new and i would like to transport it with the packing boxing and wraping intact will i have a problem with this with regards to customs in spain  i also have a lot of bottle spirits that i wish to take as i am going to live in spain so everything i have is being shiped over or will i have to have a masive party  and drink it all first that will take about a week

Like 0      
20 Apr 2007 12:44 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/18/2007.

Like 0      
20 Apr 2007 8:18 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Babe, (I love starting a message with that!), unless your goods look like a commercial load, for example if you have dozens of identical TVs in their original packaging in the  van, I can't imagine anyone is likely to question you. Even then, isn't there supposed to be such a thing as free movement of goods within the EU? So long as what you're carrying is obviously personal effects, you should have no trouble, and should not be asked to open anything. I would keep all receipts for new items handy just in case, to show that VAT has been paid etc.

On routes from Bilbao/Santander to CDS: I have once gone via Burgos, Valladolid & Salamanca, then direct south through Extremedura to IKEA sorry, Sevilla, and you all know the way from there. This gives Madrid a wide berth, but does add on quite a few klix and take a while, but, when I did it, (July) I pretty much had the roads to myself. The scenery can get a bit monotonous, but if you have cruise control, it can be quite a relaxing route!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
21 Apr 2007 6:50 PM by jmtwsm Star rating in Sabinillas CDS. 191 posts Send private message

jmtwsm´s avatar

Hi JeansSis,

I have PM'd you regarding meeting for a drink or ten !!

My thinking is rather like Roberto's.  Why take the shortest or quickest route when there is so much of Spain to explore ?

On our last drive south, a navigating error sent us through the centre of Madrid on Monday evening rush hour. Driving back up on a Sunday was amazing as Madrid was deserted but I still made a few errors as the signage is truly cr#p.

Even my satellite navigation unit goes into "manana mode" when trying to find anything smaller than a whole village.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

The Bargain Property Experiment - 155 posts
Edwina - 4 posts
Tower cranes - 9 posts
Is this idea realistic? - 3 posts
Bank Guarantee. - 4 posts
Consider this before buying in Spain - 28 posts
Aifos running out of money - 0 posts
Help - 1 posts
Furniture packages: Value for money?? - 28 posts
STILL AWAITING HABITATION LICENCE - 3 posts
DUMP FOR OFF TOPIC COMMENTS - 16 posts
MORE ARRESTS IN MARBELLA - 5 posts
Atlas international - 21 posts
help!! confused!! - 16 posts
any opinions on Formentera del Segura ? - 94 posts
Removals costs - 14 posts
Great Places to Walk Dogs - 2 posts
When will we have our garage? - 5 posts
Albondon - 7 posts
Albondon - 0 posts
Mosquito Eaters - 20 posts
Lake vinuela - 8 posts
telephone and boardband - 4 posts
Help with route/car - 17 posts
The Smiley & Rixxy (& friends) outlet, go for it .. in here guys. - 54 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 17

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x