Home demolished in Vera

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | ... | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Jun 2008 10:16 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
This makes my blood boil . I am somewhat surprised though as several people I have spoken to in the area say the Mayor is a good guy and the Prior's problem came about because of a spat with the Mayor and the Junta. I think a lot of people had high hopes that the Prior's would be done right by.

Off topic though with the council being in the red. You would think that they would respond to queries via the Vera Town Hall website about how non- residents go about registering/ paying their taxes when they won't be back in the country for a few months!!

Mark

Like 0      
09 Jun 2008 12:31 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Marksfish

i hope this makes everyones blood boil. It makes you realise that living in Spain means it's ok, as long as you are not conned, ripped off, or swindled. If you are, the laws to protect you that we take for granted most of the time in the UK, just don't seem  to exist  (yes i know there are bound to be exceptions)  Is it any wonder rogues/scum bags prosper so well in Spain? The damage to Spains property market by this one case alone is probably considerable. It's nothing but a disgrace.

Like 0      
09 Jun 2008 7:48 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

I wonder if all the residents in this area witheld their council taxes in protest, would the council re-think this appalling decision? What cruel people they are to allow this situation to arise and then compound the pain by behaving like this, truly shameful.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
11 Jun 2008 7:49 AM by gocat Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

I realise this thread has been going for a long time but I just wanted to add a suggestion/offer of help.  Thankfully I'm not in this position but sometimes the way property is in this country I know it could quite easily be us next and the thought of it makes my blood run cold.  I haven't had time to read through all the comments so this may have been answered before but does anyone know if there is an organisation that's been set up by people in a similar position?  I would gladly link to their website, point any enquiries their way or do anything I could to help if someone could let me know the web address.

The only thing I can suggest is that an email campaign could be started to Beatriz Corredor Sierra, the housing minister via their website - (I can't put a link in but it's mviv dot es) - they can ignore one email but can they ignore thousands?  This could also be combined with youtube videos, blogs and social networking posts - viral campaigns sometimes work amazingly well if enough people get behind it.  If lots of English speaking web sites got together and offered people a letter they could send and an email address to send it to then it may get to the right person eventually.  Spain surely cannot go on acting like some tin pot third world dictatorship when the housing market here is in freefall and someone in power must be able to see what pr like this is doing to worsen the situation?

Thanks,
Greg
gocatalunya

Like 0      
11 Jun 2008 2:50 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

gocat

yes indeed. How much longer will Spain shoot itself in the foot? The fact rogues have prospered for so long, doesn't  inspire me with much confidence that much will change, but surely it must sooner or later?

There is a petition started by Suzanne. Some of us have signed this.  The owners of this site have the details.

Like 0      
12 Jun 2008 2:08 PM by gocat Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

thanks goodstich - I'll contact the site owners

Like 0      
20 Aug 2008 10:32 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

A little glimmer of hope? From the AUAN website 

Vera: Priors' Appeal Accepted
Focus Magazine, August 2008

The British couple whose house was demolished in Vera earlier this year have had their appeal against the demolition order accepted by the Constitutional Tribunal. The appeal was lodged in 2006.

The lawyer for the family, Victor Martinez, has stated that only 5% of appeals to this court are accepted and this could lead to legal action against the Junta de Andalucia and the Almeria judge, Jesus Rivera, who enforced the demolition order.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
21 Aug 2008 8:00 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9404 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
Wonderful news! Congratulations to Victor Martinez.

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 8/21/2008.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
21 Aug 2008 8:10 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Lets hope all those people who caused this appalling situation are finally called to account and punished for all the unspeakable  misery and distress their actions caused. 

Poppyseed

Like 0      
21 Aug 2008 8:46 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar
It's frightening that this situation can occur in any civilized country of the world, and hopefully the couple will get redress for the situation.  However, any redress won't take away the pain and anguish of the situation.  I hope, for their sake, that the situation doesn't drag on through the courts. 

Unfortunately, just been listening to a programme on China, and how hundreds of people had their homes bulldozed to make way for the Olympic stadium etc.  They were forceably ejected from their homes, and if any of them objected they were thrown into prison!

Well done to those who have taken this stand against bureaucracy.

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
22 Aug 2008 2:09 PM by Max Kite Star rating in Castilléjar, Granada. 308 posts Send private message

Max Kite´s avatar
There are tens of thousands of illegally built properties in Almería and at the moment all construction has been frozen while the situation is being assessed.

There is a group called ecologistas en acción  who seem to be actively involved in this.
See http://www.ecologistasenaccion.es/ - you'll need to speak Spanish though!

Rumours in the Vera area are that this particular villa was demolished as the new AVE train would be going through their living room.

Others are that they were offered other accommodation but refused.  I don't know, and am not saying anything, but there are a lot of very worried Brits in the Almería area.

On the subject of China - see http://www.calamillor-mallorca.com/leapylee/euro_weekly.html 

We ignore China at our peril.

Like 0      
22 Aug 2008 2:44 PM by flyingcat Star rating in London/Mojacar. 85 posts Send private message

flyingcat´s avatar
I am so sick of those West media one-sided no-truth-what-so-ever reports.  Ask yourself, once the topic is about China or Russia, have you ever once heard two sides’ stories?

This 'story' about demolishing homes for Olympics makes my bloody boiling. Have been grown up next to where Bird Nest is today. There were miles and miles agriculture lands with no city dwelling there which was one of the reason the site has been chosen. There were a few scratched villages where the villagers were paid well to be relocated comfortably.

Sick of those ‘journalist’ go there actively hunting for a negative report and pour all these rubbish on the papers to mislead west public. Every county has greedy people; do I interpret hoodie, knife killing, and benefit cheating as it is GB all about? No! So should not you. Please do not think other countries are like what you read on newspaper.

Sad, really, one hand you have democracy on free speaking, on the other hand you do not have any democracy on free hearing because west media only choose what they want you to hear.

Just go out to see yourself. Never trust what printed on the paper and told to you on TV. 

BBC once shown about a few seconds those monks shouting ethnic cleansing slogan in Tibet and chasing Chinese with knife attacking on the street. Then, this piece be convinently 'edited' out the second time showing.  What is going on in Georgia was started by Georgia but conveniently be put down by west as ‘even technically Georgia started, but………….’ Again all Russia’s fault. 

Like 0      
22 Aug 2008 4:25 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar
The truth is that no-one really ever knows the real truth!!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
22 Aug 2008 4:49 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Or, as they say in China, "those that know, know"
Same could apply anywhere - Spain, UK.....

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
23 Aug 2008 10:24 AM by Max Kite Star rating in Castilléjar, Granada. 308 posts Send private message

Max Kite´s avatar
Have just seen a post regarding property purchase from mariadecastro who says:

"Of course, a good, risponsable lawyer will put you far from any risk. That, together with  calm and serious thought are the best things to gather."

I know of some first class lawyers / solicitors here in Spain from my days in the ...ahem....er...how do I say this?.....please don't be cross with me.........estate agency (sorry - I'm honest...HONESTLY).....anyway, as I was saying - I know some first class solicitors, but if you look at the case of Marbella, the whole caboodle were in on the corruption - the town hall, mayoress, notaries, land registry.  The best solicitors in the world couldn't spot that one!

Fortunately most of these people are now looking at the world through vertical bars but where it leaves the property "owners???" I don't know.

I guess flyingcats diatribe was aimed at me / Leapy Lee.  Fair comment about life in UK - I've already said that I baled out 11 years ago as I could see the way it was going. 

We are getting off the thread here, but one question - How many of the 1,329,349,388 people in China voted for the president in free elections?

O.K. - the same number of Brits who voted for Gordon Brown.

I think I've lost this case!

Like 0      
23 Aug 2008 10:40 AM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

Think that you've got a lot of great points there, Max - and think that I probably agree with all of them!

I think that it certainly sent the shivers up my spine, when waiting in the bank with lawyer in toe, that a woman burst in and said "Don't have anything to do with her - she's a crook"!!  If you're not completely "au-fait" with the Spanish systems (or probably any other countries systems!) it can be a minefield out there!! 

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
23 Aug 2008 11:53 AM by Max Kite Star rating in Castilléjar, Granada. 308 posts Send private message

Max Kite´s avatar
I could write pages of advice from my experiences of estate agency, but the most important for me is this:

Don't use a solicitor that has been recommended by the estate agent, look for your own IN A DIFFERENT PART OF SPAIN.  Certainly far enough away for there to be no vested interests.

oh....

and insist that they actually come and look at the property - otherwise how can they know that it is the same one as described in the escritura / Catastro?

Like 0      
02 Feb 2010 5:06 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Poppyseed

Like 0      
02 Feb 2010 5:12 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Poppyseed

that's good news indeed. Let's hope this starts the ball rolling for many other victims.

Like 0      
02 Feb 2010 5:47 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

That is great news although they still have a lot of fighting to do to get proper justice.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | ... | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Wanted 1,2 & 3 bed properties for long term rent in the Duquesa Area - 1 posts
Market St. restaurant, San Miguel, CB - 2 posts
Dona Isabel's, San Miguel, CB - 0 posts
PLEASE HELP OUR ADMINISTRATOR HAS RESIGNED JUST BEFORE OUR AGM - 3 posts
Disney in Spain - 13 posts
Passport length - 9 posts
hola everybody - 2 posts
San Blas Tenerife - 1 posts
Andalucian Delegation Association for the Defence of Home Owners - 0 posts
3 bed - long term rental required. - 0 posts
taxis at san javier airport - 4 posts
Introduction - 5 posts
calanovaseagolf - 5 posts
Wanted property to buy minimum of two bedrooms. - 1 posts
bringing a jet ski from Uk to Spain - 0 posts
house insurance - 16 posts
Wanted - Holiday rental for July - Aug 08 Sleep 6 to 8 - 2 posts
The Buzz of spain - 6 posts
Contract Ts & Cs - Cancellations - comments - 1 posts
Things for Kids to do in Denia? - 2 posts
Nationwide Flex a/c - 43 posts
Airports set to ease bags limit - 8 posts
Newquay to Alicante - Another option for those in the Southwest - 2 posts
Part Exchange - 0 posts
Has anyone received a communication from the builders or Masa re connecting gas? - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 358

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x