Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Jan 2008 12:00 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7172964.stm

For those who hate clicking on links here's what it says..Sunday, 6 January 2008

Twenty-two UK airports are preparing to let passengers take more than one piece of hand luggage on flights from Monday, to coincide with extra security checks.

Heathrow, Manchester, Glasgow and Edinburgh are among the airports where two luggage pieces will be permitted.

But some restrictions remain at Gatwick and other airports which have not met government requirements for the relaxation of the one-bag rule.

Some airlines, including Easyjet, are also keeping the one-bag limit.

Extra bags

From 7 January, the Department for Transport says, travellers can carry more than one piece on board, providing the airport has installed improved security scanners, and depending on their airline's policy.

Most of the UK's major airports, including Heathrow, Manchester and Birmingham, now have the scanners.

APPROVED AIRPORTS
Aberdeen
Benbecula
Birmingham
Cambridge
Cardiff
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Heathrow
Inverness
Islay
Kirkwall
London City
Manchester
Newcastle
Plymouth
Prestwick
Southampton
Southend
Stansted
Stornoway
Sumburgh
Wick
Source: Department for Transport

Some, including Glasgow and Edinburgh, only received the go-ahead in the last few days, but several, among them Bristol, Luton, Leeds/Bradford and Liverpool John Lennon airport, have yet to meet the standards.

They still have to prove they can cope with extra cabin bags without compromising security.

At Gatwick, Britain's second busiest airport, only passengers using the South Terminal for connecting flights from Monday will be able to travel with more than one piece of hand baggage if their airline allows.

BAA, which runs Gatwick, says restrictions will remain in place at the North Terminal while engineering works continue to bring the airport up to standard.

However, from 11 February passengers using the North Terminal on connecting flights will also be able to take more than one piece of cabin luggage.

Luggage policy

Size limits on liquids and cabin baggage will still apply and airlines can place their own restrictions on the amount of hand baggage that can be taken in to their aircraft.

The government has stressed it is up to passengers to check hand-luggage policy with individual airlines.

British Airways will allow two pieces of hand luggage per passenger.

Virgin Atlantic will allow one piece of cabin luggage per passengers in Economy and Premium Economy Class (plus laptop, handbag or similar); and two pieces of luggage per passenger travelling first class.

This is the policy the airline operated before the restrictions came in.

'Customer confusion'

Easyjet is keeping the one-bag rule in place because it says too many airports still have the rule to justify abandoning it.

Easyjet's Chief Executive Andy Harrison said: "There is massive scope for customer confusion in an environment where UK airports are adopting different policies.

"The only way to maintain a simple and standard policy is to maintain our one bag policy."

A spokesman for Ryanair could not be contacted for comment.

The dimensions of hand luggage must not exceed 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22in x 17.7in x 9.8in approx), including wheels, handles and side pockets. This is equivalent to the size of a small roller suitcase.

Like 0      
07 Jan 2008 4:23 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

My tuppenceworth says I think all airlines should stick to one item of hand luggage. In this day of airlines wanting a quick on/ off and charging for hold luggage, the size of hand luggage is increasing. We travelled with Ryanair recently and there wasn't enough room for everyone carrying one bag, what happens when most want to take two?

Mark

Like 0      
07 Jan 2008 5:01 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Mark, you ok ?

i agree with what you say about one bag especially as Easyjet were not taking notice of their own limitations on size & a young guy took what appeared to be a guitar in a case & the staff were thumping it into an overhead locker on our flight from Murcia yesterday. (Have I really only been back a few hours ? Seems a lifetime !)

Like 0      
07 Jan 2008 6:15 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

This is going to cause chaos - you could fly from Glasgow to Gatwick with 2 pieces of hand luggage (airline dependent!!) but can only take one piece on the return journey!!!!

What a nightmare!!!

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
07 Jan 2008 7:11 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Hi More, yes, fine thanks. Glad you had a good holiday.

I can't understand why these multi million pound scanners are so much better than the old ones? Leeds Bradford and Liverpool have no intentions of purchasing them until the price comes down, possibly a few years in the future! The biggest problem isn't the 1 bag limit, it is the liquids policy. When was the last time you could buy a bottle of ibuprofen with less than 100ml? What about toothpaste and the like?

I really think that Al Qaeda and the likes have done more to make us terrifed of every little "blip" in 5 years than the IRA did in 25!! Lets all stop being paranoid in 2008.

Mark

Like 0      
07 Jan 2008 7:20 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Now that we have our place in Spain, the liquids policy doesn't cause any problems, as we leave all our toiletries there.

The problems & delays arise because people don't do what they are supposed to do & then have to scramble around in their bags to put stuff in plastic bags or even repack their suitcases.

The weird thing is I have only seen this happening at UK airports.

I agree with Mark though Paranoia is alive & well in 2008!!!

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
09 Jan 2008 10:18 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

At Stansted they have an area where people can re-pack their hand luggage and also weighing scales.

A friend was in Spain when the travel restrictions first came into force.  She said that they made getting on and off the plane so much easier.  So much time is wasted while you wait for people who are blocking the aisle while they sort out what they need from their cases.

I take one bag through security check in but two onto the plane.  The second (carrier bag) has everything which I will need on the plane.

I think that when they talk about allowing two bags to go through security it's the main bag + a handbag or something similar.  The smaller item could then be placed under the seat.

I'm also amazed by what some people try to take on as hand luggage, on our last flight quite a few had bags which were definately over the size restrictions.  Amazingly they fitted into the overhead lockers.  Perhaps these people had checked in online so their bags hadn't been checked.

Like 0      
09 Jan 2008 10:33 AM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Semijubilada

I do exactly the same, putting a carrier bag inside a rucksack. It is so irritating that people faff around with their hand luggage while others are still trying to get to their seats. Then you have those who leap out of their seats teh minute the seat belt sign goes off.

A little bit of organisation makes it all a bit more comfortable for everyone.

The new 2 pieces of luggage rule is not restricted to a bigger bag plus handbag. The same dimensions apply to both bags. If everyone goes down that route, where will it all go? The thing is that where people visit the shops once through security, many have 3 or 4 bags by the time they board.

I agree that some people get away with bags that seem way over the size limit & the airlines really need to get a level of consistency & stick to it. That way there is no room for argument.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
09 Jan 2008 6:09 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Perhaps the two bag rule applies to bags with smaller dimensions than the ones allowed on Easyjet.

On our transatlantic flights we are restricted to 6kgs of handluggage and I believe it must also be of a size where it could be stored under the seat if necessary.  Plus a small handbag or a laptop bag.

BA are very strict and we have been told that when our handluggage is close to the limit we are not to buy too much in Duty Free. 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Newquay to Alicante - Another option for those in the Southwest - 2 posts
Part Exchange - 0 posts
Has anyone received a communication from the builders or Masa re connecting gas? - 8 posts
Long Term Rental Contract - 2 posts
Selling property in england - 33 posts
car seat laws - 1 posts
Selling a business in Spain - 6 posts
santa anna jumilla - 1 posts
Before you know it - 1 posts
Search in off plan development area - 1 posts
Question about Al Andalus location - 12 posts
Anybody bought in Vegamar I residencial? - 3 posts
Rental in Los Alcazares - 1 posts
Looking for a rental - 0 posts
Drinking Water - 33 posts
Property Management - 0 posts
Are some "budget" airlines taking us for a ride? - 16 posts
Standard poodle puppies for sale - 1 posts
Hello All - 4 posts
New User - 2 posts
Photo ID requirements - 10 posts
Property Bargain! - 0 posts
Happy New Year from your newest 2 users. xox - 26 posts
Looking for property to rent for next christmas? - 3 posts
Buying off-plan. Fixed completion date or unfair term - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x