Currency exchange Spain
Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Jan 2008 12:00 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

We are non residents & have a Nationwide Flex current account which we only use to withdraw funds in Spain via ATMs that have the Visa sign. Using this method we don't get charged anything & we get superb rates. I thought you would be interested to know how we did. Before we left the UK on Dec 14th we put a certain amount of cash into the Flex a/c & drew out as follows.

Each time we withdrew 300 euros. All just below the Sky currency bank rate.  

17/12 rate 1.396

18/12 rate 1.402

20/12 rate 1.389

29/12 rate 1.353

An ideal way to get euros in Spain for hols.

Like 0      
07 Jan 2008 6:25 PM by Simmo68 Star rating in Cheshire And Rafal. 25 posts Send private message

Simmo68´s avatar
I have the same card and can confirm that this is probably the best way to get your euro's without incurring commision. Always a great rate. You can use it for transactions as well ie shopping, without being charged. Some visas charge 3%

Like 0      
10 Jan 2008 1:15 PM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

Ditto Morerosado,

I have a N/Wide flex account and to date I havn't found a better deal?

Mike T

Like 0      
10 Jan 2008 1:32 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Mike, great to "see" you again. Trust you had a good Christmas & New Year. We were in Spain from Dec 14th till 6th Jan & had a wonderful time.

It's amazing though, getting back to the Nationwide account, how many people still don't seem to take advantage of our great finds & then still continue to go on about rates etc. It's the same with using a UK mobile in Spain rather than buying a Spanish SIM card for your UK mobile or, better still, a Spanish mobile. If you're going to ask for advice please take it or what are we all doing here ?

I'm poorly so slightly grumpy & feel a vent or 20 coming on.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 1/10/2008.

Like 0      
10 Jan 2008 4:50 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi More, sorry your feeling poorly get well soon we do not want  you  venting.  We both have a Nationwide Flex account and cards brilliant no charges and good rates.   Roy has had his for years but I only changed 2 years ago, received a cheque book as well but have never used it.    I think I did convince a few couples to change in the village. Take care Pat  

Like 0      
10 Jan 2008 6:08 PM by saznaz Star rating in los altos and kent. 134 posts Send private message

I am glad I have spotted this gem as we belong to nationwide and r going out in a few weeks to complete and need to buy quiet a few bits and bobs We were going to put it on our credit card but if the rate is better and we just draw cash Can u only do this by drawing cash from flex a/c how abt rates for nationwide credit card Look forward to hearing from u Saznaz

Like 0      
10 Jan 2008 6:18 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I don't know about cc's Saznaz (we haven't a N/wide cc) though Simmo in this thread said the cc doesn't incur charges if you use it to buy services, not take cash out though. 

We use Saga Visa in Spain for services, we bought some furniture. Saga Visa don't charge the 2.75% or whatever others tend to charge. ENSURE you use a machine with the VISA logo on it or you WILL be charged. Take out euros too not sterling. One we used was Cajamurcia bank.   Machines give instructions in English & my OH found it very simple.  

This message was last edited by morerosado on 1/10/2008.

Like 0      
10 Jan 2008 6:38 PM by saznaz Star rating in los altos and kent. 134 posts Send private message

Thanks v much will c wot they say abt cc

Like 0      
28 Feb 2008 10:10 AM by Remmy Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

Hi Saznaz, I have used my nationwide credit card in spain and their are no fees on buying goods only for taking out cash and the rate you get is very good. Remmy

Like 0      
28 Feb 2008 10:19 AM by saznaz Star rating in los altos and kent. 134 posts Send private message

thanks v much Remmy will look into that - my hubby used his MBNA card whilst we were out in Feb - the rate here was 1.34 and they gave us 1.21 - daylight robbery

so will use nationwide card in future

ta

Like 0      
28 Feb 2008 10:34 AM by Remmy Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

Hi Saznaz, When i went the rate was 1.466 and i got 1.46 on the nationwide card. 

Like 0      
28 Feb 2008 11:11 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
We have just organised N/wide ccs to go with our N/wide flex a/c as we can check online too & move money around & pay bills from Spain. We had Saga Visa, which suited us fine, but they aren't online &, in future, we're able to spend more time in Spain so need online facilities. We always get superb rates using VISA ATMs with our N/wide debit card.

Like 0      
11 Apr 2008 3:43 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Just thought I would post to say that we got 1.280 € / £1 on 18th March using our Nationwide Flex a/c debit card in a Visa ATM in Guardamar, CB, taking 300 € out. On 9th April, taking another 300 € out, we got 1.247 (Sky said it was 1.2476 later that day we noticed).

This message was last edited by morerosado on 4/11/2008.

Like 0      
11 Apr 2008 6:02 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Hi More

Glad you are having a good time. We aplied for our Flex account last week, so hope to be hearing soon .

Mark

Like 0      
11 Apr 2008 6:15 PM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

Has I've said previously,

Theres no better deal for currency Exchange Rate and NO charges that I'm aware of for drawing cash abroad than the Nationwide Flex account!

Mike T

Like 0      
11 Apr 2008 7:05 PM by young Star rating in Stockport/Las Siete .... 70 posts Send private message

We opened our account before we came out for our first visit last Sptember, they always give the business rate, not the tourist and don't charge commission. Credit card is good too

Like 0      
01 May 2008 6:06 PM by PGM Star rating in Cheshire & LOS NARAN.... 862 posts Send private message

PGM´s avatar

I have been using Nationwide Credit & Debit cards all over the world for years for buying goods with the Credit card and cash with the debit card, as far as I know this has always been the best way of doing my transactions. The other benefit is by setting up for on line banking as well you can easily monitor your spending on the net whilst away. Other banks have similar deals but none as far as I know have offered this so consistently for so long. I do most of my banking with Nationwide wish they has branches in Spain. Nationwide offshore Euro account based in Isle of Man is worth a look as well.

Phil

Like 0      
05 May 2008 10:51 AM by carolandrichard Star rating in West Yorkshire and P.... 93 posts Send private message

I've been using my Nationwide flexaccount for withdrawing cash in Spain or a good few months now and been very impressed with the rates. Never more so than last week, I withdrew €200 which worked out at a rate of 1.27, my sister withdrew the same and hers cost five pounds more the rate being 1.23, and the rate she got on the euros she brought with her from the post office just a few days before was 1.17. Big differences!! I've even got better rates using the Nationwide account than transferring cash through the currency exchange with Custom House. And, now that Custom House are charging in the region of €15 per trade the Nationwide is looking even better.

Like 0      
05 May 2008 12:29 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Carol & Richard. This is exactly why I began a new thread just for Nationwide as other info on it gets lost in other threads & the info is far too ace for that.

People often say "it can't be possible for you to get those rates so easily" &, until they bother to open a Flex a/c & use the Debit card to find out for themselves, they're not convinced. Often I feel people just say (like my OH did to me when I suggested opening an a/c) "Not another bank a/c ??" (He really did need convincing.

Thanks for posting about your experience with your debit card.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, we suddenly have more smileys to play with, about time too.

Saw great one for the big agents ........  & what most would like to do to them

Thanks EOS Team.

Like 0      
25 May 2008 6:06 PM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

I've been using my Nationwide debit card for months now and without doubt this has been the best deal around. However, I've noticed that several banks are starting to charge a fee through their Cash Machines. Banesto charged me 0.5% the other day and Santander charged a similar amount too!
Are there any Spanish Banks around NOT not charging a Fee?

Mike T

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Airports set to ease bags limit - 8 posts
Newquay to Alicante - Another option for those in the Southwest - 2 posts
Part Exchange - 0 posts
Has anyone received a communication from the builders or Masa re connecting gas? - 8 posts
Long Term Rental Contract - 2 posts
Selling property in england - 33 posts
car seat laws - 1 posts
Selling a business in Spain - 6 posts
santa anna jumilla - 1 posts
Before you know it - 1 posts
Search in off plan development area - 1 posts
Question about Al Andalus location - 12 posts
Anybody bought in Vegamar I residencial? - 3 posts
Rental in Los Alcazares - 1 posts
Looking for a rental - 0 posts
Drinking Water - 33 posts
Property Management - 0 posts
Are some "budget" airlines taking us for a ride? - 16 posts
Standard poodle puppies for sale - 1 posts
Hello All - 4 posts
New User - 2 posts
Photo ID requirements - 10 posts
Property Bargain! - 0 posts
Happy New Year from your newest 2 users. xox - 26 posts
Looking for property to rent for next christmas? - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 44

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x