Spanish Bank Charges

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Feb 2010 8:59 PM by Zena143 Star rating. 22 posts Send private message

Hi

I recently, as a non resident but owning holiday home, opened a bank account with Halifax - it has internet banking as well - I am being charged 25euros a year but apparently no charges for my cheques, no charges for transferring euros in from moneycorp and am allowed to withdraw 300 on an electron card (useful at present when paying flights on Easyjet - no surcharge) have set up all the usual standing orders and told no problem.  Speak every time I have visited to someone who speaks English - and they have a dedicated line in Spain 24/7 for various assistance, etc etc.  Also told I can withdraw up to 3000euros a day.  If only ..............

I have had the misfortune of running foul with Endesa over the Bulletin and at one point was being threatened with cut off - even though I am in England, unable to sort out the electrics in the property, etc and willing to pay the account if only they would let me - my Solicitor almost had given up and said did I know a good electrician.  In sheer desperation I rang Halifax from England probably more to vent than to get help and over three weeks they tackled Endesa for me - I will not go into the dreadful saga - suffice to say the chap dealing with me came back with a real British sense of humour and said do you want the good news or the bad news ?

I said the good news - and he said you are now paying by direct debit for the electricity u use, the bad news is your name is now that of the previous owner (his contract) until you can arrange for an electrician.  At least this has given me breathing space - HOW MANY BANKS IN ENGLAND OR SPAIN WOULD DO THAT FOR YOU???  No to all you doubters out there I am not in any way connected to Halifax and indeed in England I am with HSBC or Midland for those of you similar in age to me!    I also have nothing but praise for my Solicitor and am now going to that thread.

Zena143

Like 0      
08 Feb 2010 12:26 PM by pi Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

Hi

negotiation is defeinately the key

PI

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Road tax in Spain - 4 posts
Bed Shops in Bendirom - 0 posts
Pedreguer - Car boot sale - 0 posts
i want to sell nearly new clothes how? - 5 posts
Hola - 4 posts
Renting in Spain - 7 posts
buying a car in murcia - 3 posts
Satellite dish wanted - 2 posts
Setting up Business in Spain - 4 posts
Recent Article in the "Leader" newspaper - 0 posts
Remortgage ? - 2 posts
Boats - 0 posts
good background info about spain? - 0 posts
The Humble Cucumber - 9 posts
Vacancies - 0 posts
debtors within the community - 4 posts
Serious Debt!!!!!!!!!! - 3 posts
Problem with an owner of a ren - 2 posts
Hab cert - 2 posts
Events and activities in the area - 0 posts
NIE - 2 posts
ANY GOOD PAINT SUPPLIERS NEAR CIUDAD QUESADA? - 3 posts
Sign the petition for Dog Parks! - 2 posts
Shipping items To Spain: What Fees, Paperwork ? - 8 posts
Mortgage 4 Spain - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 22

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x