helpme find plumber/bathroom designer DAVID ORTON was UK based

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Jan 2010 12:00 AM by gravitatingsouth Star rating in wales. 58 posts Send private message

I overheard 2 families in the que at passport control talking/recommending a bathroom designer/plumber who was either moving to spain or lives/works in spain and england.

Has anybody  got a contact for him or knows where in spain he's based or residing. We had to go to our gate nor did I have a pen handy to write his details down, am therefore hoping someone is spain recognises this guys name and can help even with the rough location. Even with a rough location we can search for a showrrom through white pages or online paper classified adverts.

DAVID ORTON ?  (married to Debra, not sure this will help, but someone might know of him through his wife)

He's english from central england  and I would like to stick to using our own kind as a first choice. Trouble is where is he, anyone got an address and mobile.

please hurry, have cracked bath, want one similar and he has access to exdisplays and travel from uk to spain weekly and has been known to ship subject to agreed costs.

GS

Like 0      
21 Jan 2010 6:00 PM by David W Star rating. 199 posts Send private message

David W´s avatar

Having read your appeal for tracing this guy Otron i am struggling to understand what you mean by "one of our own kind''

Maybe if your in such a hurry you should try "one of their kind''

Like 0      
21 Jan 2010 7:40 PM by samcampbell Star rating in Costa Del Sol. 136 posts Send private message

samcampbell´s avatar

Blimey! like David i am hoping that was a "typo", what is the definition of "our own kind" anyway.....

Sam Campbell Business 1st...

mail: info@business1st.es

www.business1st.es

Like 0      
21 Jan 2010 9:19 PM by gravitatingsouth Star rating in wales. 58 posts Send private message

just trying to keep it all british what with papers etc saying  those coming out here are finding work to come by hard.

yes could try local but still arent comfortable with the lingo, i guess as i overheard a conversation i kinda feel i want to give finding the guy a chance, plus being a brit there is more of a chance he will be able to locate certain english things, yes being in spain should mean spanish but we just want to keep some of english heritage in our home such as raised cistern pull chain flush, bath with feet and stand taps, it really is a caseof we cant let go 100% and someone english can understand that and if necesary get us a full english bathroom if need be.

ok so i may have to use local to do initial repair, but am really hoping someone knows this guy, we just want quaint english and until overhearing this conversation thought all chances of quaint replacement would be nowt but a distant dream.

wasnt meant to cause a stir, so very sorry about that i was just trying to say if we want to or have to go for a new complete suite then at least someone english would be able to relate to countryfied edwardian/victorian.

sincere apologies if original came over as narky, please forgive me no offense was meant, please understand that after hearing the chatterings it spurned hope of finding someone who could relate to out need to hang onto some traditions and a bathroom is kinds private where we can still hang onto our englishness but in privacy.

hope that explains more,think a glass of vino is in order, please dont attack me with your plungers

Like 0      
21 Jan 2010 9:31 PM by samcampbell Star rating in Costa Del Sol. 136 posts Send private message

samcampbell´s avatar

Hey gravitatingsouth, please enjoy your vino, no offence taken.  Where are you located in Spain? If on the CDS I can recommend some people for you.

Sam

Sam Campbell Business 1st...

mail: info@business1st.es

www.business1st.es

Like 0      
22 Jan 2010 4:46 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Five minutes on Google turned up two possible candidates in England but nothing in Spain....both are in the bathroom/kitchen/plumbing game

David T Orton
71 Wesley Street,
Beeston,
Leeds,
West Yorkshire, LS11 8RB
0113 270 4384

David Orton Interiors    
Unit 5 Hartley Business Centre,
272-284 Monkmoor Road,
Shrewsbury, SY2 5ST
01743 233737

Hope this helps but please remember when dealing with Brits out here, there are an awful lot of sharks in the water...and a smiling friendly shark is probably the worst kind...by all means give them the work but be sure to get written estimates, receipts for everything, don't hand over the full amount of the quote in advance, be absolutely certain that you are not paying well over the odds and if said tradesman rolls up in a tatty Brit reg van check the tax disc...if it's not on the windscreen or has expired, the chances are he's a cowboy, quite prepared to take liberties and risk the wrath of the Guardia Civil and if that is the case, you as an individual stand very little chance of recompense if things go wrong or are left unfinished.

We entrusted the renovation of our little house to a Brit, totalling ignoring all of the advice we had formulated ourselves and the whole deal was an unmitigated disaster. Three years on and we are still trying to finish work that he started and left unfinished.

We paid him in stages as the work was carried out and had soon reached the agreed total price for the job. We started to smell a rat when the two Brits he subcontracted to do the work complained that he hadn't been paying them. Ultimately they left him to do their own thing; the builder  then came back to us with a sob story about having run out of cash and asking for a further 2 grand to finish the job. Stuck as we were between a rock and a hard place we had little option to to stump up the extra, but he still didn't complete the job; we found out later he channelled the money instead into another property he was working on and had totally screwed up.

Two months on,having carried out no more work on the house, he asked for yet another 2000 Euros...we told him exactly what he could do with his request...whereupon he walked off the job never to be seen again...

I am not saying all Brit tradesmen out here are sharks; some I'm sure are very good and do a good job for a fair price; but in the building and allied trades game they are few and far between.

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
22 Jan 2010 7:27 PM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar

Hi.

I would also recommend you get a fixed price for any work and not an hourly rate. I know a few friends that have agreed an hourly rate based on an expected number of hours and then the job has run on by several days and they've ended up paying way more than they expected.

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      
26 Jul 2010 12:37 PM by deb30509 Star rating in La Alcayna, Molina D.... 5 posts Send private message

Hi,

David Orton was in Spain with wife Debra until Aug 2008.  I am afraid his business went belly up in the recession and is no longer trading.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

new to forum about to conclude jardines - 11 posts
Suing agent who sold the property? - 1 posts
PROPERTY NEEDED UNDER 120k - 0 posts
Social Security Help - 1 posts
de-faulting on spanish mortgage - 2 posts
Advertising my Blog - 6 posts
Freesat HD on Costa del Sol - 6 posts
Withdrawal of P & O Portsmouth to Bilbao route - 21 posts
how many people really want to or are trying to sell their spanish property? - 12 posts
Drive to Spain - 4 posts
Taking lizards to spain - 3 posts
car hire prices - 10 posts
spanish property in UK or Spanish will? - 3 posts
EOS not alerting me when I start a new thread - 4 posts
Connecting Electric Supply - 3 posts
Jobs in teaching Torrevieja - 3 posts
wood burner with flue wanted - 0 posts
AGM - 2 posts
Postal redirection - 3 posts
BMI baby Cardiff to Murcia - 4 posts
Valuations - 4 posts
Does a NintendoWii bought in UK work in Spain? - 8 posts
What's positive about living in Spain????? - 41 posts
sub letting? - 4 posts
bill det - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x