Drive to Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Jan 2010 12:00 AM by jiljen Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Could anyone suggest a route from Calis to Malaga late April. Travelling with a small dog and will be looking out for Hotels which accept pets. Any help would be much appreciated.

Pat

Like 0      
20 Jan 2010 12:55 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Hi, suggest you use viamichelin as your primary map routing.

Suggested route, avoiding Paris is as per this link . Can't speak for the Calais to Bordeaux section as we always use Caen Ferryport then Rennes, Nantes, Bordeaux. The whole trip is doable comfortably in 2 long days...especially in April when the long winter nights have all but finished.

There are a couple of dog friendly hotels to the North of Madrid I would suggest that you check other threads on htis forum as this subject has been covered many times. Try searching under the subject 'Driving to Spain'

Legally remember you will need to bring with you your Vehicle Reg documents, proof of Insurance, MOT cert if applicable, High Vis Vests for driver and all passengers, a spare bulb set (and the tools to change them), 2 warning triangles, and if you wear glasses for driving a spare pair. European Breakdown Recovery Insurance is also a good idea...

Hope this helps..

fb.

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
20 Jan 2010 1:14 PM by Darrenwilmshurst Star rating. 18 posts Send private message

Pat,

Certainly a lot of material on various threads about driving to Spain.

I drive to Spain twice a year from Calais to just south of Alicante with a dog and 2 kids - 1270 miles in total.

I stop just north of Toulouse at Cahors which is about a 8.5 hour drive which leaves 10.5 for the second day. In order to balance out the 2 days you could go onto Montauban.

I stay in a Kyriad which is family and dog friendly! We stay at Cahors because there is a McD opposite which suits the kids and you can get a beer with the Big Mac which suits me!

Would definitely avoid Paris and we head down to Rouen from Calais, then cut across onto the main road down to Toulouse

Hope this helps

Darren

PS Petrol cheaper in Spain than France

Like 0      
20 Jan 2010 5:03 PM by b4ssy Star rating. 24 posts Send private message

Hi Pat

I did this trip in 2 days arriving home last night, with 2 dogs. The best website by far is viamichelin. If you want to do the journey in 2 days from Calais I would suggest getting to Biarritz on the first day. If you want to do the trip in 3 days I would suggest stopping over in Poitiers and Aranda del Duero ( an hour north of Madrid ). 

Plan your trip on the website with the route planner and it will suggest hotels at your destination point. These can be filtered for dog friendliness and directions to the actual hotels can be obtained.

On the way out from UK I stayed in Bordeaux which was a long first day and Madrid, which was a pain due to the traffic. On the way back I stayed in Anglet, which is next door to Biarritz ( by the airport )

If you would like recommendations on specific hotels just drop me a pm.

Hope this helps

Like 0      
21 Jan 2010 8:44 PM by jiljen Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Many many thanks to all those who have replied to date Much appreciated  

Pat

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Taking lizards to spain - 3 posts
car hire prices - 10 posts
spanish property in UK or Spanish will? - 3 posts
EOS not alerting me when I start a new thread - 4 posts
Connecting Electric Supply - 3 posts
Jobs in teaching Torrevieja - 3 posts
wood burner with flue wanted - 0 posts
AGM - 2 posts
Postal redirection - 3 posts
BMI baby Cardiff to Murcia - 4 posts
Valuations - 4 posts
Does a NintendoWii bought in UK work in Spain? - 8 posts
What's positive about living in Spain????? - 41 posts
sub letting? - 4 posts
bill det - 0 posts
almanzora country club update - 4 posts
Lawyer in Murcia? - 7 posts
Hi I haven't been on for a while but this is an urgent appeal - 4 posts
Wanted 2 month rental Iznajar Cordoba - 0 posts
Los Belones shopping complex - 1 posts
professional photos needed for holiday rental website Mar Menor 2 - 2 posts
message for EOS regarding Mar Menor Golf Resort 2 - 0 posts
Babysitters for Mar Menor Golf resort - 1 posts
Hairdresser or Beautician required - 0 posts
Walk in Orihuela - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x