moving in 4 months

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Oct 2009 12:00 AM by bazza45 Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

hi,moving with wife and kids in 4-6 months.looking for advice on where to live,life and work situations.I know its hard everywhere,im a qualified carpenter/joiner for 20 years and very reliable.My wife works in the hospital research.IS anyone looking for these professions.any input would greatly be apprecciated.cheers

Like 0      
08 Oct 2009 7:57 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Bazza45:

Just one piece of advice: be realistic... jobs are difficult in Spain ( and will be for a while) .Take that into important account.

Best,

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
08 Oct 2009 10:53 AM by bazza45 Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

thanks maria, we dont mind what job we do all we want is to get out of uk, we will have money to surrvive on for 6 months and do hope we will get a job in that time.

Like 0      
08 Oct 2009 3:06 PM by rach123 Star rating. 21 posts Send private message

me and my boyfriend are moving out there next year, we are not bothered what jobs there is, but i am hopfully going to set up as a mobile hairdresser. Fingers cross it goes to plan!!!! The uk has nothink really....  

Like 0      
08 Oct 2009 5:30 PM by lifeline Star rating in Murcia. 365 posts Send private message

lifeline´s avatar

Think carefully about it!  Some of the families that were here a year ago have returned to the UK as there is not enough work. Others are just managing on bar/restaurant work, odd jobs and  cleaning. Find out about the health system and remember that school books have to be paid for.

However if you rent and want to make a go of it and you want a different way of life, the temp. here today is 27 degrees and lots enjoying the beach. Wonderful! 

Best wishes but be prepared to take any work available.

Daveil

Like 0      
08 Oct 2009 6:48 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi Bazza - the advice used to be that you should have enough savings to last a year before you come out to Spain but I think 2 years is now more realistic.  People are finding it very hard to make a living and shops, bars and restaurants are closing down all the time.  Unemployment is around 19% and it is predicted to rise to 25% over the next few years.  Spanish employers are also very reluctant to employ people who cannot speak Spanish.

As a carpenter you may be able to find casual work in an expat community (mainly the Costa del Sol and the Costa Blanca) but it will be low paid and inconsistent until you build up a reputation.  As for a researcher post, I think your partner would need to have fluent spanish to be able to work in that field.  Many professional people end up doing cleaning and illegal taxi runs to keep their heads above water here, so do be careful!

I don't mean to knock Spain, as I love it here and would hate to have to go back to the UK.  However, you need to be prepared for the move and it is obviously much more serious if you run out of cash when you have children to consider.

Good luck!

Like 0      
08 Oct 2009 6:49 PM by bazza45 Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

thanks for your reply.yeah we are gonna rent at first and see how it goes where do you think would be a good area to start,we have two young kids so we are looking for a place with good schools etc.cheers

Like 0      
08 Oct 2009 6:55 PM by cazzy Star rating in Inland Andalucia. 180 posts Send private message

My daughter, boyfriend and baby moved to Spain in April, with only 2,000 euros. they have rented a lovely 3 bed flat and are both working. Although not earning anywhere near as much as they id in the UK they have a far better standard of living. They are loving it!!!  and they don't speak Spanish.

Like 0      
19 Oct 2009 3:22 PM by frenjd Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

We moved to the Costa Del Sol in March 2008, but unfortuantely due to lack of opportunities we are now back n the Uk, we loved it there and were not happy to come back!!!

In hindsight we did not have enough money. (£18,000) which went in 6 months!!!! it's really  hard if you have a family, because working in a bar is just not enough to make ends meet.

Now that we are back all we think about is how we can get back to Spain and make a living. Ido have a plan up my sleeve but will be keeping that to myself for the moment. I wish you luck and hope your everything goes well for you.

Barbara

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

driving to spain - 21 posts
how to get my deposit back from rental agent - 5 posts
camposol - 5 posts
Is living in Spain really that bad now??? - 714 posts
Certificate of habitation price question - 3 posts
Certificate of habitation question, Alicante - 4 posts
Want a short break in Benidorm - 0 posts
Fridge Repair - 3 posts
UK car in Spain - 26 posts
EU Trading Standards - 1 posts
What is the best spanish forum where I can speak in english - 0 posts
Calling an EGM - 9 posts
Claiming funds from a person who sold me a house knowing it was falling down - 6 posts
sat dish needed 1.3 mtrs - 2 posts
Personlised number plates - 4 posts
Banco Popular vs EVEMARINA SL - 0 posts
Casaras del Mar - Info Please - 2 posts
BANC CAM is BANK CAN'T - 8 posts
Supermarkets - 12 posts
Forum signature policy change - PLEASE READ - 22 posts
Let's keep it friendly - 79 posts
Happy Movil - 6 posts
Spiral Staircases - 3 posts
Low Rate Spanish Mortgages.com - 1 posts
Luis's Chickpea Stew - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x