how to get my deposit back from rental agent

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Oct 2009 12:00 AM by myzz Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

hi was just wondering if anyone had any idea how to go about getting my deposit back from the rental agent i rented off of. i was in a house for 8 months giving a months notice as required did everything right. the rental agent told me she had giving the deposit to the owner who stays in england. i have had contact with the owner who i met this weekend for the first time who has had a couple of problems with the agent who he is not now using. anyway met with him and saw his bank statements and know for a fact he never got the deposit so it is now up to me to get it back. have got the rental agreement with deposit on it. i never moved far so still see her but she just ignores me. any ideas for me please

Like 0      
07 Oct 2009 8:22 PM by summer1010 Star rating. 62 posts Send private message

summer1010´s avatar

Unfortuantely, in Spain you don't have much redress apart from the legal route.  That could take up to 3  years and the cost to you won't be worth it.  There is no such thing as an Ombudsman or statutory rights, or any other sort of customer service.  This is why I loathe agents - they don't have a single professional atom in their body! They don't care about building up good client relations, building up a reputable business, or anything else that a business minded person would want to do in order to succeed.  Professionalism + good client care = success.  This maths is too difficult for them.

Legally, there isn't much you can do I'm afraid.

www.golfapartment.co.uk

Like 0      
07 Oct 2009 11:21 PM by gwm Star rating in Pizarra. 139 posts Send private message

I know it isn't legal, but the non return of deposits is so common, so providing everything O.K. ie leave apartment in good condition, arrange for any money for bills that may be due etc etc...just don't pay the last months rent !!! yes I know it specifies in the contract you cannot do this, however, all you are achieving is the return of  YOUR money, and the landlord is not out of pocket.

Like 0      
08 Oct 2009 7:56 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Go to the Local Consumers Office and tell them about the problem. Please keep us posted on results.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
08 Oct 2009 10:29 AM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

Message to gwm, is this how you normally do business, sign a contracta and then ingonre the clauses??? This obviously must mean you can not be trusted!

A deposit is there to cover damages and bills NOT RENT and is never returned until the last day of the tenancy agreement when all has been checked!

Your advice is ludicrous and i really hope i never have you as a tenant!

You are in breach of contract the minute you do not pay that month rent and just can not do as you wish when you wish!

I can not believe that on a site like this one where we all try to help eachother someone is recomending to do what you say people should do!

Joan

Like 0      
12 Oct 2009 5:27 PM by myra cecilia Star rating in Manilva Malaga. 213 posts Send private message

Hello Summer1010 I do understand the frustrations of people that have been affected by malpractice. Not all are bad. I agree the system is slow and if you do not know the system expensive. There is an ombudsman though.  A group who were having problems are taking the authorities of the town hall to court. The mayor did not even respond to the demand of the lawyer and the case is now in court. The residents and non residents alike who have suffered years of noise have a good chance of winning their case. But Igo off track, back to the ombudsman who got involved and yes the town hall responded to him and it even made the press. Maybe we should use them more often

Myra Cecilia. www.costaadvicebureau.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

camposol - 5 posts
Is living in Spain really that bad now??? - 714 posts
Certificate of habitation price question - 3 posts
Certificate of habitation question, Alicante - 4 posts
Want a short break in Benidorm - 0 posts
Fridge Repair - 3 posts
UK car in Spain - 26 posts
EU Trading Standards - 1 posts
What is the best spanish forum where I can speak in english - 0 posts
Calling an EGM - 9 posts
Claiming funds from a person who sold me a house knowing it was falling down - 6 posts
sat dish needed 1.3 mtrs - 2 posts
Personlised number plates - 4 posts
Banco Popular vs EVEMARINA SL - 0 posts
Casaras del Mar - Info Please - 2 posts
BANC CAM is BANK CAN'T - 8 posts
Supermarkets - 12 posts
Forum signature policy change - PLEASE READ - 22 posts
Let's keep it friendly - 79 posts
Happy Movil - 6 posts
Spiral Staircases - 3 posts
Low Rate Spanish Mortgages.com - 1 posts
Luis's Chickpea Stew - 2 posts
Interest Rates - 10 posts
How do I de-register my car in Spain? - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x